Follow

Tuesday, I went to my doctor’s appointment for my 3-month check-up instead of postponing it like I normally would have done. There had been a tech error with my prescription last time. Between the pharmacy and my doctor, they ended up filling my B/P prescription twice. So, I did not need to see my doctor to get a prescription re-fill.

I went for my appointment ANYWAY so I could talk to her (my doctor) about how things have been going since Mama passed. I got a chance to get some things off my chest. She asked how I was doing, she listened as I un-loaded, then she gave insightful and helpful suggestions. In the end, she said for me to call her any time, for anything, even just to talk.

That was one self-care thing I did this week.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3
You are very blessed to have a doctor that cares.
(1)

Another self-care thing I did this week was to go to the Eye Care Center and schedule an appointment to get new eyeglasses. I've need new glasses for over a year, maybe longer. I've been putting it off since I started full-time caregiving for Mama over 2 years ago.
(1)

ITRR - Yes, you are right. I am very blessed to have a doctor that cares. Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate that you took time to respond here.
(0)

This week I went for a long hike in the redwoods. It was hours of me time and it was great. Much needed for mental well-being but so hard to commit to scheduling. Glad I did.
(2)

Oh, you have such a nice doctor! I do to; I’m very fortunate.

Self-care this week…I hid from my MIL. I guess that sounds bad, but I have two small children, and she wants me to sit with her all afternoon and give her all my attention. After a while she gets cranky waiting for dinner and refuses any snacks. Then she just tries to wind me up and gets hangry. Yesterday I limited my companionship time with her, told her I was going inside, but instead locked the door and hid, just telling my kids where I was. I watched a few episodes of The Golden Girls, had a good laugh, and felt a bit more rejuvenated afterwards.
(4)

SnoopyLove - I "hear-ya" . . . a long hike in the redwoods sounds heavenly. Your "ME" time definitely was great. I'm Glad you did it too. Thank you for commenting here. I appreciate that.
(2)

As some of you know I have 2 friends who are also going through a rough patch or have done so.. this week we went for pedicures and lunch at a nice place in Gettysburg. We all got each other gift certs for the pedis,, LOL,, so we were all on the same page! We try very hard to schedule one day a month to get together and have some us time! So far it is working, with careful planning, and it helps so much
(3)

My dr is very caring also - he understands my husband's personality. Thursday was shopping for mom, shopping for hubby and I and attending a self help group.

After the plumber finally finished with 3 tasks I knew of and 1 task I didn't - sheesh - I enjoyed going out to breakfast with a good book and being waited on without having to think of anything else.
(5)

Yesterday morning I ambled-through chores as usual, didn't eat breakfast, no lunch either. By 1:30 pm my stomach reminded me I needed to "DO SOMETHING"! It took some doing, but I did it. At 2:30 pm, I made myself a plate and sat quietly and ate it, without stopping in-between to go do "something".

I had chicken noodle soup, crackers, orange juice, and 1-chocolate cookie for dessert. It was nice to "eat in peace and only think about myself" for a change.
(4)

hey, I felt nice that you have someone who cares and listens to you, you are truly blessed. One self-care thing which I did this week was visiting my family and having dinner with them. I felt great!
(0)

11:45 am - I brushed my teeth and washed my face. I didn't WANT to, didn't feel like doing it. I'm sooooo tired, plain-old plummm 'wo out, I just wanted to skip it today. BUT, my mouth tasted so bad, I HAD to go ahead and do it. So, I did it.

There now, I did my self-care thing for today.
(1)

Oh WOW pamzimmrrt, Pedicures sound heavenly and lunch at a nice place sounds even more delicious. I'm looking forward to the day I can do one or both of these. Thank you for the lovely comment.
(0)

Did you put yourself first, before thinking of your care-receivers, today for ANYTHING?!
(0)

Sometimes when I go grocery shopping I’ll stop somewhere, get a coffee and a pastry and sit and read a while, enjoying the relaxing time. Then go do the shopping.
(1)

I bought a new pair of sandals and had my hair done!
(2)

Went for a pedicure. Couldn’t stick my left foot and ankle all the way in the tub because of surgery, but still good. Had a massage, facial and manicure. All nice. I hadn’t been since April before my shattered ankle. Did some on line shopping.
(2)

Yesterday, I made up ten fresh salads just for me. Lettuce, spring mix, carrots, green onion, green apple, red apple, cranraisens, bleu cheese crumbles. Put in air tight locking containers in the fridge. Today, I will top the first one with candied pecan bits and raspberry vinaigrette, and savor every bite! Just for me
(2)

OH hallah, I like the idea to . . . "stop somewhere, get a coffee and a pastry and sit and read a while, enjoying the relaxing time" . . . sounds simply refreshing. The thought keeps running through my head to go to Sonic, park under the canopy, place an order and, sit and enjoy it. It's on my "to-do" list.

Thank you for taking time to answer here.
(2)

New shoes and a hair-do makes me smile, velbowpat. Good for you! I need both of these myself. Thank you for commenting here.
(2)

I went to Burger King and ordered my favorite Whopper package, the Family Bundle (it'll last me a couple of days). I had planned to eat it there, but it is tooo HOT out there! I brought it home, changed clothes, got comfortable and, leisurely ate some of it . . . in quiet peacefulness! Oooo sooo yummy!
(2)

I had off work the last 2 days, and we are "babysitting" my DDs 4 lb chihuahua ,along with my 15 lb chug,, so I allowed myself to just chill for 2 days and putz around the house! Did normal things,, washed the Chug.. ( she smells alot better now! ) and didn;t go a dang place! Lots of dog walkies and some cooking and baking. sometime we just need some down time!
(3)

pamzimmrrt Dog walkies sound like fun and good for you on the cooking and baking. Personally, I hate cooking and my "hats-off" to anyone who does it and likes it.

I really appreciate that you took the time to read my post and to leave such a nice response. Thank you for doing that, you’re so thoughtful.
(2)

Fuzzyknot, I’m hooked Panera Bread’s pecan braids. Mentioning that, I think I’m ready for another grocery shopping trip!
(1)

OH hallah, these look absolutely delicious . . . so yummily mouth-watering I'm about to "slobber" over here. Thanks for sharing this, I'm going to be on the look-out for some. BTW I had to Google this because I'd never heard of them before. LOLL
(1)

Yes, Fuzzyknot, they are great! The pecan (preferred Texas pronunciation is “pih-kahn”) braid I get doesn’t have icing on it. Really doesn’t need it. Sometimes my sweet teeth act up and I have to get two.
(0)

One thing I like to do for myself is, after mowing the grass, is to take a break and sit on the swing out in the back yard. I’ll play various bird calls on my cell phone to see if I get answers from real birds. I like to watch the squirrels running around and once in a great while see a rabbit. There’s something very relaxing about sitting on a porch swing and gently swinging.
(2)

Ok hallah, THAT does it! Now I have to go get something to eat. You have made me hungry, it doesn't take much to do that though. I think I have some cookies stashed away in my "snack bin".
(1)

Mowing grass?!?? hallah you are some kind of adventurer! I haven't mowed grass since I was 20-something. Now, watching the squirrels and birds in the back yard is right up and down my alley. As soon as the weather allows, I'm getting back to that.
(1)

Adventurer? Ha! I hate mowing grass. I only mow because I have to. Plus it gives me exercise. But I’d rather shovel snow.
(1)

Ok, ok, hallah, maybe adventurer was a bit much. And, I guess guys do HAVE to do it. My husband would agree with you, he only does it so people can see the house from the street.
(1)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter