Follow

There must be traditional foods, cultural practices, activities that you remember from childhood that you have chosen to eliminate. What are they and why did you stop doing it?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4
The Christmas pudding. But I do miss it a little. Well, for a few seconds each year anyway.
(3)

Fruitcake. Really who can eat that. I had an aunt who soaked it for weeks in bourbon. That was a cocktail in itself. Her other baked items were delicious.
(2)

Corn on the cob.
Green bean casserole.
(0)

Creamed pearl onions. My mother used to slave over them each year, crying and muttering under her breath.
(1)

Candied yams. Too sweet. Green bean casserole. Too gloppy. Creamed onions. Just not interesting enough to bother with. I sub in whole or whipped sweet potatoes, brussels sprouts with toasted pine nuts, and creamed leek casserole. Oh, and those dinner rolls you warm up in the oven? No. I use crusty little French rolls. Makes a wonderful little turkey sammich.
(4)

CW, what kind of Christmas pudding? I made a steamed cranberry pudding that was served with hard sauce. That was a tradition of ex's family and actually quite good. Mom loved, loved, loved that dessert.

River, were the kids allowed to eat that fruitcake? I actually enjoy fruitcake but never had one quite that potent.

Corn on the cob? Really, Send? That is crazy nonsense.

Barb, I made the pearl onions once, I actually enjoyed them. That was a tradition of a SO from Long Island. Maybe a New York thing?

Carla, what is left? I understand the green bean casserole.

For me is is a cranberry jello salad. Cranberries were boiled until they cracked open and placed into waiting cherry jello. Sliced celery and pecans were also in the"salad". Then served with mayonnaise. Mom absolutely loved it. Me, just a big yucky.

What was it with our folks generation and jello salad? Remember Watergate salad?
(2)

I had never heard of Watergate salad. Having read about it, I'm not sure why it exists?
(2)

A product of a creative chef. I don't know if it was developed as a result of Watergate, or just a creation of the hotel.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2019/08/03/746312155/watergate-salad-a-fluffy-green-bite-of-washington-d-c-s-past

Mom had it often and said it was Watergate salad because it is loaded with marshmallows, fruit and nuts. Pistachio pudding mix you know.
(1)

Glad, no not kids and as time passed I don't think many of us could. Not only was it potent but so solid. Not very cake like. I think by the 1980's we thanked her and then tossed it.
(1)

My least favorite relative made corned beef aspic. Truly disgusting. We mashed it around on our plates to try to make it disappear.
(3)

I make a Christmas stollen with the candied fruit. It is a egg bread, something mom used to make. It is actually quite good. Used to make a triple recipe and give loaves to all family members. Not ALL family members any longer.
(3)

green bean casserole - mushy green beans out of a can, mixed with cream of mushroom soup out of a can, and crunchy onions - a sticky mess

D R Y turkey - too large and in oven too long

mashed potatoes mad from Potato Buds instant potatoes - disgusting

gravy made with cornstarch
(3)

Carrot pudding was (and still is in some families I imagine) very big where I grew up. The basic recipe couldn't be simpler - I cup each grated carrot and potatoes (oops, I almost forgot the apples), raisins (my grandmother used currants), flour, suet, brown sugar. The addition of nuts, candied fruits and spices varies. Steamed of course, and served with a brown sugar sauce (rum optional but delicious). All in all it's actually a pretty healthy dessert, but much too heavy after a large meal and not the first pick of anyone when there are so many other cakes, pies and cookies on offer.
(1)

This will probably be the first Christmas we don’t have broccoli casserole. My mom always comes over early on Christmas Day and makes it but I’m pretty sure it’s gotten to be too much for her and honestly I don’t expect my folks to come over early this year anyway. I refuse to make it, it’s gross. It’s frozen chopped broccoli, cream of mushroom soup, mayo, cheddar cheese and breadcrumbs. I have a mayo aversion and I really can’t stand the smell of the casserole both raw and cooked! I won’t miss it at all but I know everyone else will!
(3)

Green bean casserole is no longer at my table. Beans that lost their vibrant green in the can covered with gray mushroom soup just looked awful to me as a kid.
While you mention it, I don't even like pumpkin pie, gravy, stuffing or mashed potatoes but I serve those since it seems like it just would not be Thanksgiving if I served hamburgers, kale salad and brownies. I hope someone at my table likes it.
(3)

Gladimhere,

"Crazy nonsense"?

Way back in my childhood, it was warmer at Thanksgiving time, and we did have corn on the cob in Southern California.

We also had the jello thing, but they put a can of fruit cocktail in the jello. I have never served that.
(3)

Pies, Pumpkin, Mincemeat, I detest them.
(2)

I agree with mincemeat. I put it in the category of fruitcake but I do like pumpkin pie. Speaking of the awful green bean casseroles does anybody remember tuna casseroles with potato chip toppings. It makes one wonder the appeal of vintage cookbooks.
(4)

I don't miss the rice dish our foreign exchange student introduced to us when he came to live with us for a year,from Finland when I was 10 and we had it every Christmas from then on.It was rice that had raisins in it and a hidden almond and whoever got the almond was supposed to have a bunch of good luck in the New Year.The game was alright,but the raisins in the rice weren't good at all.
(2)

I hate the cranberry sauce that slides out of the can like jello.. my aunt still insists on it! My MIL made a jello salad with sliced celery and carrots.. just yuck! We do buy the cranberry relish that our local small town grocery makes,, I am pretty sure it has cherry jello, but no mayo.. but we only buy a small container, and its great on vanilla ice cream! And OK.. I have to fess up we all like green bean casserole, but we but good green beans and don't over cook it.. I don't miss the sweet potato casserole with marshmallows,, you may as well serve that with the desserts!
(1)

Cranberry sauce only makes it to my table because Mom likes it. I make pumpkin pie because some family members like it and seem to think I make good ones even though I don't like them much either. I'm a basic farm cook so my green beans are only seasoned with ham and onions, corn with butter and a little salt, squash with butter and garlic, and the only casserole is the awesome broccoli cheddar. The gravy is thicken the old fashion way with flour, not cornstarch.
(5)

Greeks put a coin wrapped in foil in a filo pie and whoever gets that piece has good luck for a year.
(2)

We don’t do cranberry sauce here either. I remember the canned stuff as a kid and my MIL used to have it when BIL was married to his first wife because she liked it.

No corn this year. Or last year. We’ve always had canned corn or corn on the cob but only when MIL hosted.

Jello with canned fruit cocktail was regularly served on holidays growing up. It’s a thing of the past now!
(4)

So GOOD cranberry stuff?

Fresh cranberries, orange juice and sugar whizzed up in a food processor is amazing!
(5)

I parted ways with candied yams. My mom made them faithfully @ Thanksgiving. TOO sweet for me.

And a big fat No Thank You to any yam concoction topped w/marshmallows - which is something I’ve only experienced at other people’s holiday dinners.

I made it to my mid- or late-20s thinking I hated yams and sweet potatoes. Turns out I’d simply never had one just plain old baked or roasted. Hello! LOVE that. With butter. 😃
(2)

Wow! You all don’t like the yams with marshmallows? Not sure what they are called. Candied yams maybe? I never had yams or sweet potatoes when I was a kid.......the first time I had yams with marshmallows was as an adult at my MILs on thanksgiving one year. She made them every year. I like them! My SIL is supposed to bring them tomorrow but I’m not sure if she will since it sounds like they don’t plan on staying for dinner......
(2)

The candied yams are delicious with walnuts and/or pecans. Sprinkle some fresh grated nutmeg or a bit of cinnamon, oh yeah!

My favorite leftover served for breakfast.

However, they have to be fresh yams, not the canned things that my mom served growing up. Yuck-O!
(2)

LU, risengrot, very Scandinavian. Grew up with it and love it. The almond is more Swedish and part of Santa Lucia traditions, which I don't know much about, being Norwegian. No raisins though.

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-xpm-1993-12-15-0000000006-story.html

Funny thing about risengrot, is that any that married into the family really did not care for it initially, but it grew on all of them. I wouldn't have Christmas eve without it.

Funny story, when we were kids, one summer we were craving risengrot and finally talked mom into making some. Just did not taste at all the same. Tradition has something to do with taste, flavor and preferences.

Barb, we do a cranberry relish, very similar to what you have. Our is a bag of fresh cranberries, and a whole orange, peel and all, bit of sugar. Whip up in processor would not have thanksgiving without it! One of my faves, even leftover with a turkey Sammy, even on the Sammy.
(6)

We had rice pudding growing up. More like a dessert, the raisins made it not so plain.
My Mom would make it whenever there was leftover white rice.
I would rather make Tapioca Pudding in large amounts, but not anymore. It was by other's requests.

I like knowing the Swedish name, risengrot.

The real turkey sandwich...I live for the sandwich.
Going to buy our turkey on sale, after thanksgiving.

We are having tamales, new to me for a holiday meal.
(3)

I have my Greek grandfather's rice pudding recipe. It takes ages to do it properly as uncooked rice is used. It is incredibly delicious.

I have been buying small prepared rice puddings since being diagnosed with a broken jaw. Along with all the other bad advice I was told to eat anything I felt like prior to the diagnosis. I didn't but can't believe I was told this by both the endodontist and first oral surgeon. Anyway the rice pudding has been very soothing but eventually I need to stop and work on a diet. It just is hard when one has been through such an ordeal and a life changing one. Digressing again.

I understand Thanksgiving is meant to represent a plentiful feast but I don't get dishes such as macaroni and cheese,different potatoes and other high carb dishes along with everything else. Tomorrow it will be my husband and I,my son,my 89 year old mother and my 20 month old grandson. The dishes will be modest which I am grateful for.

(2)

1 2 3 4
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter