Follow

A resident in town has a Township group Facebook page where people can ask questions and discuss whats going on in our town. This was posted yesterday.

"Any one available that cooks and available in supplying a hot dinner meal daily to a senior in Pennsville for $100/mo? Please PM me for his name and number if interested. No food allergies lactose intolerant low to no salt allowed. Likes southern food best can’t chew tough foods due to old dentures."

I did not need to respond because someone got there before me.

"$3 per meal to make and deliver. If you find anyone, i cant imagine he's going to like the food he gets"

Yes Meals on wheels was suggested but he won't eat them. One person responded either would their LO because he thought it was a handout. Until he got an envelope at the end of the month asking for him to donate towards his meal then he didn't consider it a handout and ate them.

The Poster did find a neighbor willing to do it. The cost of the food will be more than $3.00 a day. I just bought 2-10/11 oz chicken breasts and I think it was $10. Then count in the cost of the sides.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
You can get baked beans no salt & many flavours, not sure about 'Southern' flavour though 😁.

Tin of home brand BBs + wholemeal pitta bread was a staple meal when in London for about 25p a serve. Add half a tin of cooked apple (100 % apple) or yoghurt for dessert about 50p more - less for dinted tins or close to use by dates yog. Add copious cups of tea - still under a pound.
(2)

Kudos for him for trying. Kudos to the person who will be doing this.

In today's world, you don't gain if you don't try. (Think Kickstarter, GoFundMe, etc.)

He didn't like Meals on Wheels, so he is trying a different tactic. He might even be willing recipient to "first time" recipes, so that could be a huge benefit to both parties.

Makes sense to me.

P.S. Doesn't volunteering mean doing work for free, instead of paying someone to do the work? His post is similar except he subsidizes the meal....
(0)

JoAnn,

Many times I have cut recipes in half. It’s too much food for just my husband and myself.

We will eat leftovers sometimes but I don’t want the same thing over and over again.

It is a shame that food banks do not accept perishable foods. They can’t due to legal reasons. It’s about what Pecan was referring to, food safety is a concern.

You bring up an excellent point about sharing. There is so much waste regarding food. Restaurants, home cooks, grocery stores, etc.

It makes me sad to see how much food is being wasted when there are people who are hungry that would deeply appreciate it.
(1)

I sometimes wish I had an elderly neighbor for my leftovers. We are not big on left overs so I have learned to cut recipes in half. I would gladly make the original amount if had a neighbor who I could send it over to while hot. I really would not want to be wanting to come up with something everyday for someone who could not have dairy or salt.

I had a friend who was diabetic and had no food or money. She would not go to the food closet because of the sugar. She expected another friend to purchase her food she could eat with the friends money.
(3)

We spent a long time coaxing my dad into getting Meals on Wheels, as much for what we thought would be the check-in by the delivery person, as the food. The food turned out to be dropped at his door, very impersonally (this was pre-Covid) and my dad, a very not picky at all eater, just hated most of it. Her had no interaction with anyone and food he couldn’t stand, so he canceled it after a few months. We were very disappointed. I’m glad it’s good in other communities. I hope this person in your community finds someone good to help, at that price it’ll have to be someone with a heart of gold
(1)

Sounds like someone on a very fixed income desperate to get one decent meal a day.

I wouldn't be too judgemental about this. Once upon a time, neighbors helped neighbors, but now it's all about "what's in it for me?"

How very sad.
(4)

And would this senior prefer white linens or blue, and red or white wine with his nightly delivered, home cooked meal? 🙄

Thats an insultingly ridiculous ad to post, imo. Imagine when the senior starts GRIPING about his $3 delivered dinners, too? Aye yi yi.
(3)

JoAnn29, the only thing I can think of is if someone loves to cook and has a lot of leftovers.

One of my Dad's caregivers loved to cook, so she would make enough to bring over to my Dad when it was her turn to caregive. Her sisters loved to bake cookies and treats, they would save some for Mr. Bob [my Dad].
(5)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter