Follow

She is driving me crazy, she never ever leaves the house and we never have anyone in but home health care. Yet she is obsessed.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Well, her and most of the rest of the world, as far as I can tell.

If the almost irresistible sense of panic is getting on your nerves too (I know it is on mine), all I can suggest for home use is noise-cancelling head phones and a good audio book. "Journal of the Plague Year" by Daniel Defoe, perhaps?

Does your mother have actual questions or does she just want to go on and on and on all day long about the sky falling?

Just by the way, though. When you say "never anyone in *but* home health care" - that is a bit like saying you don't have any heart disease risks apart from smoking. These are people who are exposed to a comparatively large number of older and often ill service users, in domestic (i.e. often quite grubby, certainly not clinical) settings - they're more likely than most to encounter and therefore transmit a bug if it's around.

I speak as someone who in a way IS home health care - the service I work for goes from house to house supporting mostly older people - we are doing our best to protect our clients from infection, but they can't do without us and there are no guarantees.
(10)

I just talked to my BIL who is a Dr. of Immunology. He says just stay home and follow the washing your hands suggestion. The less contact the better. It will die out. I would make sure the aides wash their hands when they enter ur home. Outerwear would not be mixed in with mine. They should wear gloves and masks for ur protection and theirs.
(7)

Love it! I don't have the Journal (I don't think Moll Flanders will help), but I'll hike out my book on Pepys. Perhaps there will be some good tips!
(2)

I love Pepys
(1)

I'm only partly joking. The great plague of 1665 was genuinely devastating. The year's Bill of Mortality for the London parishes ended:

Christenings 9967
Burials 97306.
"Whereof, of the plague" - 68596

[It's also fun to see what were recognised as causes of death in those days. E.g. "frighted - 23"]

The next year was the Great Fire of London. Half the city burned down, though remarkably nobody died, and after that - no more plague.

But it's perspective that's the point. In the seventeenth century, with no effective medicines or anything but guesswork about transmission and facing a far more lethal disease, in less than two years things weren't just back to normal, they were considerably improved. I think we're now equipped to do much better than that, and it would really help if people would stop rocketing around and making it all *worse*.
(6)

CM,

Thanks for caring for others. As you know, I was the primary caregiver to mom before she moved in with my brother and sister in law. I also cared for daddy and my oldest brother before they died.

Without the help from healthcare professionals like you I would have been totally lost. So, I don’t know if I have ever told you before but I will say it now. I truly appreciate the work that you do for the elderly and their families. Thanks so very much! 💗
(1)

Yes! I agree. Wash hands! Wash for the appropriate amount of time!
(2)

Turn tv off!
(6)

Hand washing extra note: add another ten seconds with your knuckles curled. Those creases in your knuckles are serious dirt-traps.
(5)

Some TV channels like COZY, START, METV, H&I, etc. have little to no news or even political channels. They show a lot of older TV series too which my mother likes.
(4)

I sing the Happy Birthday song in my head when washing my hands! Just an idea for all of you!!
(1)

Ok, I have a question here. Powers-that-be suggested washing hands is a great help to remove the virus.....

Yet, soap and water isn't good enough to use on kitchen counters, etc. One needs something stronger.

Which is it? Soap and water good enough for our hands but not good enough to clean around the house?

Confusing. I am a daughter of an electrical engineer, Dad and I were always questioning things, drove my Mom crazy :P
(3)

Freq,

I am the wife of an electrical engineer! Hahaha

We have two daughters 😊.

Hey, you could wear gloves then it doesn’t matter if you use soap on counters and water or something stronger!
(0)

Soap is fine. At the risk of adding further to anxiety, Imperial College has posted a how to video of cleaning your smartphone with soap and water, complete with imaging to show what microbes are removed. [Do watch the video before you try it at home, certain precautions are necessary if you want your smartphone to work afterwards].

Meanwhile, this is actually good news:

" To all our customers,

Thank you for your continued loyalty and support, even during these uncertain times. Our thoughts go out to all of you who have been affected by this unprecedented situation.

We have kept our shops open as long as possible because we know how important a role they play to you and your local communities. Due to the unfolding situation with Coronavirus (COVID-19), we're very sad to have to let you know we'll be temporarily closing John Lewis shops from the end of the day on Monday 23 March.

For 155 years, our mission has been to serve you – and rest assured, that will continue. We may be closing our shop doors, but johnlewis.com will remain open and we will be keeping our Waitrose Food Halls open in as many locations as possible (excluding Bluewater, Southampton and Watford). You can still choose to have John Lewis orders delivered to your home, or via Click & Collect from your local Waitrose shop.

Our shop Partners will be joining their colleagues at Waitrose, as we play our part to help feed the nation during this time. Our Waitrose shops have introduced special opening hours and have announced a £1million Community support fund which will be used to help the most isolated and vulnerable members of our communities.

Our Customer Service Partners are on hand to answer any of your questions or you can find us on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter where we'll be sharing our latest news.

We know the coming days and weeks will be filled with uncertainty and we want to help support you and your families as best we can. We'll be exploring ways to offer Partner-led services remotely, which could include nursery or wellbeing advice, and craft and cookery classes provided by Partners online, or on one to one calls.

When the time is right, we look forward to welcoming you back into our shops.

Take care of yourselves, your loved ones and your communities.

BÉRANGÈRE MICHEL
Partner & Executive Director, Customer Service

JOHN LEWIS PARTNERSHIP"

The reason I say it's good news is that it has taken JLP about a week to sort out what they are doing, and they are not even the largest, richest or more technologically powerful retailers. There is something to be said for big business when you want big changes made fast.

By the way, partners = staff in this context. John Lewis employees are all shareholders in the business, it's how it was set up originally.
(1)

She is wise to isolate if she is elderly.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter