Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
3 4 5 6 7
Don't feel bad about going home to sleep, my sis and I did the same. I believe that they have the ability to choose their moment and leaving gives them the opportunity to go without witnesses if that is what hey want, besides that staff will call if they see a change🤗
(6)

Needhelpwithmom, I’m so sorry you are going through this. Your mom is at the very end now. My mom became unresponsive and breathing loudly and passed about 12 hours later. I was with her at the very end because I was at the hospital with my brother.

I wouldn’t have stayed either if my brother wasn’t with me. I would have been scared.

I’m so sorry!!!! Hugs to you!!! Please try and get some rest and talk to us later.

Prayers and hugs going out to you and your mom.
(1)

NHWM, try your best to get some sleep, You need the rest.
(0)

Thanks Polar,

I have to go now. I am sorry, I started crying again just typing about it.

Goodnight.
(1)

NHWM- My uncle was on hospice last November. His kidneys and liver both failed. He had trouble breathing and had to be on morphine. He didn't eat or drink anything for almost 2 weeks before he finally passed on.

I hope it doesn't take your mother that long. It is agonizing to watch and wait for the inevitable. The nurse told us that at this stage of unresponsiveness, the person dying can still hear. If you talk to your mother, she can still hear you.

It is very unnerving to be alone with a dying person, so I get why you feel uneasy and scared. I would too.

Stay with us while you're with your mother, someone should be here to talk to you and keep you company through this forum.
(1)

Thank you so much, everyone. I am just having a hard time with mom dying.

She is totally unresponsive now. When my brother was with me, I felt better. I became uneasy when I was alone.

Her breathing sounded funny. I got scared and left. Then I felt bad about leaving.

I don’t know how to feel. I can’t sleep but I am exhausted.

I appreciate everyone’s prayers and thoughts. Please continue to pray.

I thought that I would handle this better.

They have mom on scheduled doses of morphine now to ward off any pain. They actually said that she can have it in between the scheduled dose if needed.

Her mouth is open a lot. They spoon feed her a bit of ice because she can’t drink from a straw now.

How long does this continue? It’s agonizing to watch. I’m on pins and needles waiting.
(4)

Haven’t seen you check in. I’m praying for you and your family tonight, NHWM.
(3)

NHWM, thinking of you and your mom. May her final journey be peaceful.
(3)

NHWM, You have been such a caring person here on this site to so many for so long. I guess for most of us the reality of the passing of the person likely to have brought us here seems overwhelming to contemplate,especially when they live on despite so many ailments. I trust you will find peace one day and not question anything that you might feel gives you a sense of inadequacy because from all that you have shared you have overperformed to all those in your family and certainly given great guidance to all.
(3)

Prayers for you and your mom. Peace and calm
(2)

Hugs, Need. I hope you found her looking comfortable and beautifully cared for. Thinking of you on this morning's round x
(3)

Just thinking...I am so glad that hospice exists to help us when we're dying so we can go peacefully.
(3)

NHWM, I’m so very sorry and will be praying for God’s peace to be upon you.
(2)

Needhelpwithmom, hugs and prayers!!
(3)

(((((((((HUGS)))))))))). Be at peace, dear.
(4)

NHWM,
I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I know it has been a very long road.

I pray that your mom and you find peace. Remember you have God's strength & grace. Also remember what I told you about bravery. You are a lot stronger than you think you are.

You'll be in my prayers.
Hugs!!!
(5)

Such a tough time, Need, so sorry. I'm glad your mom isn't in pain.
(3)

NHWM - we're with you in spirit, and lending you our strength.
(4)

((((((hugs))))) and prayers, need.
(4)

NHwM,, my prayers are with you!
(4)

Prayers going with you, NHWM. (((hugs)))
(6)

My brother just called and told me that they took mom off all meds but morphine. She can’t swallow and they don’t want her to choke. 😭

I know that all of the signs of death are imminent.

I am in the middle of cooking. He had to go into the office today.

I am so tired. I just feel emotionally drained. I have to dish up dinner, it will be done in a few minutes and head over to hospice.

I’m a bundle of nerves. There goes dinner again. I can’t eat when I am upset.
(7)

Barb,

That is funny!

It is definitely a roller coaster ride during this time.

Hey, interesting tidbit about New Orleans. We had one of the first opera houses in the country! It was a French Opera House.

New Orleans has a rich history in music, the opera and of course, jazz and many other genres are play here.

Mom adores music! She’s so hearing impaired now that she can barely hear it.

I just thought of someone that I hadn’t thought of in years.

I was young and single and renting a duplex in Gentilly.

My neighbor was completely deaf. He had a wife and a beautiful young son.

He worked the graveyard shift because he felt safer driving at that time due to being deaf.

His wife worked days. They were ships passing in the night.

He was Columbian. He grew up in Columbia. His wife was a gorgeous blonde from California.

He was a coffee lover like me. I would sit out on my porch and drink my morning coffee.

He would be coming home from working all night but would stop to chat with me for a while before crashing.

I knew some sign language and he taught me more. I learned to sign fairly well.

He and his wife were extremely fast signers. His son was learning to sign as well.

Anyway, he would tease me about playing my albums loudly.

I said to him, ‘I thought that it would be okay, your wife is at work. Your son is in daycare and you are deaf and sleeping!”

He said, “I feel the vibrations!” LOL So, I told him that I would turn my stereo down.

He had lost his hearing as a young boy. They were great neighbors. They were a sweet couple in their late 20’s.

Music is a universal language. I wish mom could hear it better.

Before Covid some of our local musicians would go into nursing homes and hospice houses and play for the residents.

It’s a beautiful gift to play music for others.

When mom could FaceTime, and coherent, I called my godson (nephew) and he had my great niece play the violin for my mom.

I put the phone on speaker and I heard her tell my niece (her great granddaughter) that it was beautiful.

She’s 16 and very talented. My godson plays guitar beautifully but my niece loves her violin and piano.

Daughter,

Every post I read your post I know that you understand my feelings because you express so many of my sentiments. It helps me so much feeling that I am not alone in my thoughts.

Elaine,

I know what you are saying. I firmly believe it too. Mom is so weak and tired now that she barely opens her eyes. She can’t speak anymore but she did struggle to get out ‘I love you’ to me yesterday.

They hear us. Absolutely! They do. You know it and I do too. Many others know it as well.

Thank you so much for your unending support.
(2)

Needhelpwithmom, I understand completely about the FaceTime thing. I was told by hospice that the patient can still hear even if they are in a coma. My son would call and I would hold the phone up to her ear and he would tell her how much he loved her.

She couldn’t respond back but I do believe she heard him. They say that hearing is the last sense to go.

Big hug to you. Prayers to you and your mom during this difficult time. You will get through this!! I promise you!! You will get through this!!
(1)

So very sorry for the pain you’re going through. Losing your last parent is compared to being an orphan, no matter your age, you feel adrift knowing the last person who knew you from your start is leaving. I was there when my dad died, I still have mixed emotions about it. Seeing him take his last breath and leave was hard in a way I don’t have words to describe, yet I also feel privileged to have been there. One thing I’m certain of, despite the oft repeated advice, is that my dad's last day he was unaware, and it didn’t a whole lot matter who was there. It was a solo journey for him. My young adult children were either in the house or on their way. One was with him at the end (she’s a nurse) It was important that I was very honest about his decline, but they still didn’t “get it” fully. I’m so glad your mom is getting great care that you feel good about, I know it’s easing your load a bit. Not surely there’s a way to prepare in reality, but I continue to wish you rest and peace
(3)

Nhwm, I want to tell you a funny story about my mom's death.

So, my Poa brother, SIL and I were in mom's NH room. Hospice had ordered morphine at ever shortening intervals due to pain and breathing issues. Theresa, dear friend of bro and SIL arrived from Virginia (we were all in the NH in Connecticut). As it happened, Sil and bro had been about to leave on vacation, so no food in their house. Mom seemed stable for the moment so bro and Theresa leave to do a quick grocery shop.

Mom started sinking fast; sil and I were playing opera, American Songbook, Big Band music. My eldest was supposed to leave for a long planned vacation to Ireland, so she was calling every 15 minutes to find out if she should cancel. In the middle of all this, Ikea calls to say that they are about to arrive at my apartment in Brooklyn to pick up 3 recalled dressers (that I hadn't yet emptied and that I had to ask my husband to take care of).

So, mom's breathing gets gurgly and we realize it's the end for real. Mom passes and we call the nurse in to confirm and the time of death is called.

Sil and I both start to cry and fall into each other's arms; the nurse joins in. And then, SIL and I stand back from each other and with huge grins, high 5 each other. It was truly a job well done; and at that moment, bro and friend Theresa walk into the room.

My brother got it immediately, but Theresa was, and to a certain extent still is somewhat scandalized by our irreverent behavior.

Death is like that. It can be a merry go round and a roller coaster of emotions. Just roll with the punches and hug your mom for me.
(3)

Great points, Send. Yeah, this late in the process, I feel awkward about FaceTime.

My gosh, just a few days ago she was moisturizing her face before she FaceTimed! She had me remove her chin hair too. Honestly, I almost expected her to ask for lipstick.

She even asked the aide to put on her pretty nightgown for my kids when they FaceTimed. She loves my girls and they adore her.

My girls tell all of their friends how stylish their grandma is! She loves her hair just so, makeup, pretty clothes and before her Parkinson’s, she loved her fancy shoes.

I bought her beautiful purses to make up for not being able to wear fancy shoes!

Mom enjoyed FaceTiming earlier but I don’t think that she would now. Plus, she really isn’t coherent enough now.

If I can manage a phone call, that is enough.

I really like what you said about telling them that mom doesn’t expect them to be here. I think that is what I am going to say. Plus, I will tell them not to feel obligated for me.

If they can do the small service that we are planning, it will be wonderful but if they can’t I understand.

Thanks! This helped me a lot. You know, after my brother’s phone call, I got upset and I wasn’t thinking clearly.

Sorry that you weren’t able to be with your loved one. Covid changed a lot of things!
(2)

Saying to the granddaughters:
"Your grandma's heart's desire is to see you happy, and living your lives."

"There are no expectations from anyone for you to be at her bedside when she leaves this earthly existence".

For you too, NHWM. There are no requirements for you to watch someone die. Let the hospice nurses know if you cannot be present at her death. Maybe nearby in the waiting room, or taking a break with your brother, or at home.

When my loved one died, I was at home. All I could do was pick up the phone to support my loved ones when they called. No guilt. I could not be there at all due to Covid restrictions. 2020

When it is the end for me, please, please, no one put me on facetime!
No dying photos. No dead photos. My personal choice. It is a modest, personal, private time, imo.
(2)

Thanks, Elaine.

Yes, we have been FaceTiming but mom can’t speak now so I don’t think I want to do it now.

I am concerned that it may upset them to see her like that over the phone and I don’t want mom to feel embarrassed or uncomfortable about not being able to respond.

Although if I catch her in a few lucid moments I will try to call the girls. I have to put the phone on speaker because she is nearly deaf.

She does read lips very well but not on my small iPhone screen. I was her interpreter when we FaceTimed.

I have told her when she got upset about not being able to speak words to me that words aren’t necessary.

She’s dozing off so much now. She’s so tired. She’s barely eating. She isn’t able to move at all now.

She hurts when the aide or nurse move her. They have no choice but to increase the pain meds.

Just a tough time all around. My main concern is for mom to be as comfortable as possible.

I know that is what matters the most. It’s what I would want for myself.
(2)

Needhelpwithmom, i am so sorry to hear of your moms decline. You will get through this!! You are such a strong woman and you will get through this.

The next time you visit your mom can you FaceTime with your daughters so they can talk to their grandmother? That’s what we did with my older son who was in NYC and unable to come home because of the Covid restrictions. We FaceTime with him every day!!

My best friends father passed away yesterday at the age of 98. My friend took care of him for 10 years. He had been hospitalized and then just went to a nursing home for rehabilitation last Wednesday and passed away on Sunday. She thought he was going to get better and was unable to see him. He had passed in his sleep. She was so upset that she wasn’t with him when he passed. I told her she had 10 years of caregiving for him. I told her he was grateful for everything she had done for him.

So what I am trying to say that if you are with your mother at the end, or if you are not really doesn’t matter. She knows that you love her. You have been going to visit her every day. She feels your love.

Hugs and prayers to you. You are strong. You will get through this.
(2)

3 4 5 6 7
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter