Follow

I had a strong desire to call my mom today.

I haven’t called mom very frequently, no more than once a week because I needed time for myself to adjust after my caregiver days ended.

Then as most of you know, my husband got prostate cancer so naturally my heart was first and foremost with him.

He is the love of my life. Next month we will celebrate 43 years of marriage.

As most of you know, my brothers and I have a strained relationship.

I took care of mom for 20 years all alone as the primary caregiver, 15 years in my home and was heading for completely burning out. I tried to involve my brothers in mom’s care but they weren’t interested in anything but themselves.

When my brothers were involved it was to criticize me because mom had a habit of stirring the pot, which caused stress for everyone.

I got fed up and told my mom to go live with my brother and sister in law. I had done more than my share.

Needless to say, this is never the relationship that anyone wishes to have with family members. I always desired to live in harmony.

Sometimes family dynamics evolve into complex situations filled with a mixed bag of emotions.

I don’t know how I managed to be the primary caregiver for as long as I did. Parkinson’s disease is brutal.

I also cared for my oldest brother and dad before they died. I have seen so much sadness in my life due to various issues.

It changed me watching my mother suffer endlessly. I lived in depression and had enormous anxiety as a primary caregiver without help.

My brother answered the phone when I called mom today.

He told me that mom is now bed bound in a hospice facility. I feel relieved that she is now in a facility. It’s truly for the best.

One of our long time posters (Lealonnie) comforted me throughout my entire caregiving and afterwards. I will forever be grateful. She has a heart of gold and truly understands suffering. She told me that my brother would see what I went through with my mom as he cared for her in his home. She was 100 percent correct!

We needed distance from each other in order for healing to occur. He apologized to me and said, “I now know what you went through. I am so sorry that I wasn’t a brother for you to talk to. I was wrong and should have supported you.” I cried so hard hearing these words.

When he took over mom’s care I did not interfere as he did with me. Mom would never complain to me about him because she is very old fashioned and won’t criticize a man. It’s common for some women in mom’s era to feel like the man has authority over women. Mom is 95.

I am so grateful for everyone on this forum. You have helped me more than you know. I can’t list everyone because the list would be too long but I hope you know how much I have appreciated your help.

This is a very emotional time for me. I will be going to see my mom very soon.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3 4 5
My brother notified mom’s neurologist of her death. He had treated her for many years for seizures and Parkinson’s disease.

I just received a beautiful phone call from him saying that it was a privilege to be her doctor for such a long time and expressed how sweet she was.

Mom loved him and he liked her a lot.

I think it was very sweet of him to call.
(6)

Thank you so much, Jada

It was a relief to settle things.

I believe mom’s prayers had something to do with things falling into place because you know how ugly it became.

Mom could be an instigator at times but she did apologize and I accepted her apology.

No one wants to be remembered for the worst things they have done and I truly don’t want to remember her that way.

I am doing my best to remember the happy memories that we shared.
(4)

NeedHelpWithMom,

I haven’t been on here very often lately and I just read some of the posts on here.

I am so sorry to hear of your Mom’s passing. What a heartbreaking time it is to see them suffering. She is now at peace with your Dad.

It was nice to read that the situation with your family improved before her passing. It must have been a relief to all of you to get things resolved.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. 🙏🏻💔. Please take care of yourself and your husband now.

Sending you love & hugs. ❤️
(2)

I do have to say that I am struggling with Mother’s Day ads on television and store displays that are all about Mother’s Day.

I remember shortly after daddy died, I went into the store to buy a Father’s Day card for my husband from our daughters and I had to leave the store, go outside, cry, compose myself, before I could select a card for my husband.
(4)

97yearoldmom,

I appreciate your kind words and sentiments.
(1)

Thanks so much, cxmoody.

It has been a long journey. It doesn’t quite seem real yet.

I think once mom’s ashes are in the plot it will become ‘real’ to me.

I am sad at times, certain memories keep flooding back. Mostly though, I am relieved and rejoice in the fact that mom is no longer in pain and with my father now.

She is at peace now and I know that she would want me to be at peace too.
(5)

NHWM,

I’m sorry about your mom.

Thank you again for sharing your journey. You have helped so many of us learn from what you’ve been through.

May you and your family receive much peace.
(1)

NHWM
So sorry to read of your mothers passing. Wishing you precious memories.
(3)

Oh, Polar

I so appreciate your wishes for peace. That’s really all I have ever wanted in my life with my family.

I would think it’s what most people want deep down inside, at least I hope so.

We live. Hopefully, we learn to love. We die.

Knowing the definition of love can be quite tricky at times, can’t it? It seems to mean different things to different people.

People who are able to live in harmony the majority of the time are truly blessed.
(1)

NHWM- Thinking of you today. I'm relieved your mother is now at peace.

I am glad that you and your brother were able to reconnect and he had a deeper understanding and appreciation of what you went through taking care of your mother. Your relationship with your brother is the first reconciliation of a damaged sibling relationship I've read on this forum. I am so glad for you both.

May you and your family find peace and healing in the days ahead.
(3)

Oh NHWM, I am so sorry for your loss, but I am also relieved that your mother is now at peace. I can't find any good words right now, but I am thinking of you so hard, and sending you love and hugs. Please be gentle with yourself, and lean on DH as you process all the emotions. We are all here for you too.

{{{{{NHWM}}}}}
(3)

NHWM,
I can tell you that for me, I felt every emotion we could possibly have over that weekend. It was a emotional roller coaster. As I can only speak for myself, as the days went on and as I did what had to be done and me taking my time for myself I started to process what I was feeling. One emotion at a time. I saw the good of her not being in a body that no longer worked, but became a prison to her & now she was free. It will take time for you whether it is sorting out your feelings or just coming to terms with how you feel. I am still processing some things, but it has become easy for me as the days go by and as I just feel whatever the emotion is at the fore front and release it. You may find that as you go through this you may go quickly through it or you may take it slower. There is no wrong or right way. There is only your way. You do what is best for you. Because Chriscat is right you feel however you feel and know that it is ok.

Your mom now can do all the things she wants to do. So can you. I wish I could give you a real hug. But sending you hugs is all I can do.

Sending you love & hugs! 💖
(5)

NHWM, I am so sorry for your loss. There are not enough comforting words so I am sending my thoughts and prayers your way! HUGS!💌
(6)

NHWM, so sorry for the loss of your dear mom. She is now with your dad and definitely dancing to Frank. She now knows all you did for her and loves you for it. Take care of you, try to rest and remember the good times. Hugs.
(6)

Need, so sorry to read of your loss. Your mother is at peace now - I hope that is a comfort to you. Try to take care of yourself at this time, and understand that it is ok to feel however you are feeling over the coming days and weeks. Sending love.
(5)

Her ship has sailed,
From earthly sunsets, into
heavenly sunrise.

Warm hugs NHWM.
(6)

I came by to send you ❣️💖💗💓💐🌹🌷🌺.
I hope you're okay.
None of these words are working. Just know that I care and I'm not alone in care for you.
More💐💓💗🌺🌻🌸🌼🌷🌹💐
(6)

I’m sorry for the loss of your dear Mom, NHWM.
(5)

Oh NHWM I am so very sorry for your loss. Take heart that you were/are a very good daughter and was a great caregiver. I know it's hard and I pray that you find your peace now that your mom has found hers. I also pray that in your journey you find healing and forgiveness. God bless you and your family in this time of need.
(5)

I am so sorry for your loss, and I know how hard it can be. It will take a bit to get through.. but you will, I will be thinking of you.
(4)

Thanks to all of you. You have helped me more than you know.

I know mom’s death is real. I have gone to the hospice house to see her so often that it feels odd not to be going there now.

The caregivers gave mom’s rosary to my brother for me to have.

I know that memories will hit me hard when I see the rosary again.

I signed the paperwork for mom to be cremated.

Apparently, all children have to sign the papers and if one doesn’t want a cremation they can block it. That seems strange to me but all signatures are needed for legal reasons, even if cremation is what mom wanted.

At first, mom didn’t want cremation. I told her we would do whatever she desired. Years ago cremation wasn’t accepted in the Catholic faith but it is totally acceptable now.

My father wasn’t cremated and we had the wake and funeral Mass but she decided long ago that she didn’t see the point of spending so much money on her death.

Plus, everything is different during these times with Covid.

My younger brother is sort of distancing himself from his emotions.

My older brother is a bit overwhelmed.

It’s a mix of emotions for me but I am doing okay, and glad that mom is now with daddy because let’s face it, mom’s quality of life had gone down so far that life became a burden.

No one wishes to suffer at the end of life. In an ideal world, there would be no more suffering in our old age. Unfortunately, for many there is ongoing suffering.

Thank God for hospice. They truly are angels. I believe it’s a calling because a lot of people could not handle the emotions involved in working in hospice. They are special, very, very special.
(14)

It is hard to see a loved one slip away. Prayers, hugs, peace and rest for you.
(3)

I'm sorry for your loss.
(4)

Condolences to you and your family. Prayers
(2)

I share all the sentiments expressed to you. I am glad the physical pain and suffering is over. I wish you strength and hope you can find some peace. You have been so loyal and caring in so many ways despite adversity. I hope your family can feel the care so many have for you.

I recall a few months ago some posters wondered where you might have gone as you were dealing with your husband's illness and took a break from AC. You were truly missed. I also recall you reaching out to me after I found this site. It was a very kind and helpful gesture that I still remember so well today.

It is always hard to find the right words at these times. They all come from the heart. I hope that might provide some source of what you need as you take on this new reality in your life.
(3)

So sorry for the loss of your beloved mom. You’ve been a wonderful daughter to her, I’m sure she knew and felt your love each day. Blessings to your family as you walk through the days ahead
(3)

NHWM,
Your Mom has passed?
So very sorry for your loss today. 💞🌹💞
(3)

Golden,

My cousin is the oldest relative in my family. She has always been very independent.

I actually admire her a lot, even if she can be a bit stubborn at times.

She lost her mom when she was very young. Her dad remarried and had a second family and basically abandoned her.

She had two siblings. Her sister went with a cousin. She and her brother (my godfather) went to live with my grandfather’s sisters. My great aunts were very strict with her.

She flew the coop right after graduating and got a job in D.C.! She met her husband there and eventually she moved back to New Orleans.

She lives in independent living for seniors now. She says that she has to take care of the ‘OLD’ people in her building!

She has that kind of ‘take charge’ kind of personality. She means well.

She is a character!
(2)

Lea,

You have listened to all of my pain without judgment. You will never know what that means to me.

I see and feel the empathy that you have for anyone going through trying times, but you also rejoice with others whenever a situation turns around.
(1)

NYDaughterinlaw,

I believe what Lea told me, that my brother had to experience caregiving first hand to appreciate what I went through but I also believe that mom prayed for a reconciliation between her children.

However it happened, I am glad too.

Thank you.
(1)

1 2 3 4 5
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter