Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
2 3 4 5 6
Thanks Golden! I'm very happy DD and Chuck both love my dress, which gives me more confidence to shine in it. I'll post a pic of the jewelry bouquet once I make it, too.
(4)

Lea,
glad everyone’s in agreement .
I tried that link last night , it didn’t work . I’ll try again later , but I’m sure it is beautiful .
(0)

lea - I am so happy your dd loves that dress. You and the mil will look fine together, I'm sure you will figure out the bridal bouquet and it will be lovely. All of us will want to see a pic of it. From strength to strength...
(3)

Hothouse ,

I had my 1/2 carat round diamond reset 3 years ago because my prongs were so worn .
At the time DH offered for me to trade up to a larger diamond . I said NO , then it would not be what he gave me at all ( when we were happy poor college students , lol) . I picked out a similar setting to what I originally had but added a baguette on either side , and I upgraded to platinum ( from white gold) . At least the center stone is original . I sort of look at it as an anniversary ring now also . It was done around our 35th anniversary and I figure the added baguette on each side is for the two kids we have .
(6)

Way, My one carat diamond fell out of its setting two years ago. I found it which was unbelievable. Rather than reset it, I gave the stone to my daughter for my only grandson to use for an engagement ring, of course depending on whether fiancée wants a round cut diamond. Who knows. But it’s there for someone to use or sell if need be. I had 46 great years wearing that ring, but wearing it now doesn’t matter to me anymore.

I also have my mothers ring which she reset from the beautiful platinum 1950s setting into a more modern ugly ring. I wish she kept to the original style. Someone would have loved to wear that. But the stones can be reset.
(4)

Great to hear about Dr. C and the good news.
(3)

My frugal daughter used my mother’s engagement ring . My mother gave it to her because she was the only granddaughter . I have all nephews . My daughter picked out a new setting for $2000. Had Moms diamond reset in it .
She has friends with huge rocks .
My Moms was alittle over a carat , which apparently is considered small these days . 🙄🙄🙄 . It’s big enough on my daughter’s skinny fingers .
But lab created diamonds are less expensive , maybe her friends are buying those . Still not cheap though .
(3)

Lea,

Isn’t it outrageous what some couples spend on engagement rings? It’s shocking what they spend on wedding rings.

You could buy a car, furnish your home and other useful things, rather than starting off your marriage with huge debt!
(3)

Lea,

Eat a slice for me!

I don’t eat a lot of sweets but my daughters ordered the mini Chantilly cake for my birthday. It was so cute in the mini size and absolutely delicious!

I am glad that everyone loves your dress!

Weddings are expensive!

I love that you are making a special bouquet for your daughter. I am sure that it will be beautiful!
(1)

Need ,
It’s not practical ……..destination weddings are sometimes done on purpose to keep the number of guests less. For instance if you have a MIL like I did that wanted to invite everyone she ever met from her kindergarten class on up .
A destination wedding works if close family and closest friends can make it. You run it by those critically important guests first . You can also make it not too far away but just far enough it works . Like if you stay in our country but you go to another region . The closest family and friends can make it . And most others don’t get offended about you only inviting a small number of people.
(2)

Awesome that daughter loved the dress. Crazy that MIL chose something fairly similar too.
(3)

NHWM......thats the one they're getting, the Chantilly cake from Whole Foods 😁

As far as expense goes for a wedding, the nickel and dime factor is insane! I'm shocked at what they're charging DD for every little thing, which adds up to big bucks at the end of the day. Even for a buffet, it's all portioned out for ONE pass through the line! One piece of chicken per person, in other words......how ridiculous is that?? They opted for a sit down served dinner instead for that reason. Its sad what things have come to, with inflation and greediness combined.

I spoke with DD last night and she doesn't have any requirements for what I wear. She was assuming I'd wear something from my closet given my limited ability to try clothing on, etc. As if I have GOWNS to choose from in my closet 🤣. She has no color requirements either. Turns out the mother of the groom bought a gown in a very similar blue to my dress! So I sent her a photo of mine and she loves it. So it's all good from her end. One less thing to dwell on....now onto figuring out how to make her jewelry bouquet!
(2)

LL, sipping my coffee and reading your medical update with Dr. C from the other day... beyond awesome to think about where you were just a year ago. But I'm with you regarding staying vigilant and skeptical (or as my Scandinavian hubs would say, "Full NJ Italian" )

(((HUG!)))
(4)

I love the dress Lea and love that Chuck loves it.

Wonderful news on the scan.
(5)

I don’t understand how people who have these destination weddings think that it’s practical for all of their guests to attend.
(1)

My daughter is going to cut an apple pie ………she doesn’t like cake .

She wants to serve Dutch crumb apple pie with vanilla ice cream . She said she will also have cupcakes and cookies at a dessert table that people can go up and take from .

Wedding cakes are so expensive .
(7)

Lea,

Sounds yummy! My favorite cake at Whole Foods is the Chantilly cake. I ordered it every year for my mom’s birthday.

I haven’t had Bundtini cakes. I have heard that they are delicious. We have ‘Nothing Bundt Cakes’ here. I haven’t tried them.

There are all kinds of weddings. Different trends that go on.

When my godson got married the groom and groomsmen wore converse sneakers with their tuxedos. I thought my mother was going to faint when she saw that. LOL 😆 Not my cup of tea either but I wouldn’t dream of saying anything to my godchild. Like you say, it’s their wedding!
(4)

NHWM, they are serving Bundtini cakes at their wedding, and ordering some layer cake from Whole Foods to cut. It was going to be a SHEET CAKE until I begged her to make it a layer cake. There are a few aspects of this wedding I totally disagree with, but hey, it's not my wedding.
(7)

way - your gown sounds absolutely lovely!!!
(3)

Way,

It sounds perfect for a low key wedding!

It boggles my mind how much some people spend on their weddings!
(2)

Lea,

Yes , the doctor told my father that all things considered he was lucky and they did not expect him to have the good results that he had with treatments . It gave him 6 years when they had told him he had 6 months left. After chemo my father had Keytruda ( immunotherapy ) when it first came out . They only offered Keytruda once they saw he had had good results from chemo first .
(2)

Lea: What wonderful news from your doctor!
(4)

Need,

Well my frugal daughter wants a “somewhat” less formal event . So I needed something not so formal . It’s a crinkled chiffon almost straight column maxi dress .But the fabric is cut in such a way that it naturally gathers from the knee down in pretty waves and flares out just enough at the very bottom . Very pretty shape and moves nice . It’s mostly muted , random shades of dark green and some dark blue as well . It reminds me of the ocean up here in the NorthEast . It has a scoop neck and short sleeves . The sleeves do not have lining , so they are transparent . I like that it’s not a solid color for a change . ( I wore a solid navy wrap maxi dress for my son’s wedding , that I bought online for his small low key Covid wedding ).
For this green/blue dress I think the neckline needs maybe alittle (silver) bling added to dress it up a bit or look for a good necklace for scoop neckline . It can be dressed up or dressed down ( to appear boho ) depending on accessories and shoes . It’s very versatile . I will probably wear silver shoes .
(5)

Way, 25 years ago there was no treatment for melanoma. Chemo was used, but it didn't work. Immunotherapy just came out about 10 years ago or so. It ramps up the immune system to attack and kill the cancer. It either works or it doesn't. The newer the cancer is, the better chance the therapy has of working. Many times, the cancer DOES come back, even 30 years later! The numbers given to me was after 4 double treatments and 1 year of single treatments, 50% of patients were alive 2 yrs later. I had a total of 2 double treatments.

I belong to a huge international Facebook Stage 4 Melanoma group of many thousands of people. So many of them have been thru SO many treatments and SO much anguish pain and suffering, with no good results, it's awful. So many die and I read about it all the time. For some, the therapy is miraculous while for OTHERS, it's all pain and side effects with no reduction in tumors. In fact, they keep on multiplying. Its such an aggressive form of cancer.
(5)

Oooooh, Way.

Tell us about your dress! Hey, great deal too!

Lea is the queen of getting good deals! Love hearing about her estate sale bargains!

Both of you are smart women, know what you are looking for and snatch it up. Good for you!

I am wondering if my youngest daughter will be getting married or moving in with her guy. They seem smitten with each other.
(2)

Glad you got a good doctor report !!
They know more than when my Dad was first diagnosed close to 25 years ago . Perhaps if they had done more treatment than just surgery , he may not have had it come back 15 years later.

As for the dress , I have not seen it but after what you’ve been through I would be surprised if your daughter would care what you wore , so long as you are there on her wedding day . You will look great in whatever you choose because you will have a smile !!

I actually bought a mother of the bride dress for myself recently on Etsy $45 , never worn , tags on it , brand new . Fits great . No alterations needed, as it’s a straight column dress . I just can’t gain weight .😬🙄😂.
(4)

Idk either sp, which is why I'm waffling back and forth so much. I'm not usually so indecisive. I have a glorious Chico's silk shawl in fabulous colors in my closet I dug out earlier. Which is in line with what I was originally thinking.....a batik art-to-wear kimono over a long black dress. How I arrived at the kaftan from THAT is beyond me. From the sublime to the ridiculous......no in between 🙄 because I have a SCATTER BRAIN. I'd sent a photo of the kaftan to my good friend and she was SO in love with it, I thought yesssssss! And I DO like it a lot.

Golden, good idea to wear it around the house and try going to the bathroom with it on to get a feel for the aggravation factor.

GG, I was born to dress up! I'm never plain and simple and if I have to wear a Depends at my daughter's wedding, I'm staying HOME! 🤣😂

I'll check with DD about what she has in mind for me, if anything, but we have polar opposite tastes. I'm more Boho and unstructured clothing while she's way more traditional.

Thank you all for the kind words about my doctor visit today. I was quite stunned to hear him say what he did, actually. I remain vigilant and skeptical but HOPEFUL at the same time.
(8)

What a wonderful doctor visit! Here's to more clean PET scans!

As for the dress, it is not one I would want to wear simply because I'm not a dress-up person. I prefer things as plain and simple as possible. But it really doesn't matter what I think, it is what you feel most comfortable in.

My sister addressed her MOB issue of going to the bathroom by wearing Depends that day! If it took too much time to get the clothes "arranged" for sitting on the commode, at least she didn't make a mess and could just put on clean Depends. She does have bladder urgency, so Depends were an absolute must for the wedding day.
(3)

Such great news from the doc today!

Whoooopie!!
(5)

Golden,

I was thinking about the same thing with the bathroom issue. At my age now, 68. I am always thinking about comfort. We still like good style but we become more sensible as we age!

You mentioned jumpsuits. I bet this is one reason why two piece bathing suits came about.

I think about how I wore heels to work daily. Gosh, I hardly ever wear heels anymore.
(2)

2 3 4 5 6
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter