Follow

First, the good news: Chuck is doing very well with his liver transplant. April 29 will mark the one year anniversary of his transplant at the Mayo Clinic. He's showing no signs of rejection, is off 80% of his medications, and his follow up tests and visits show him to be a super star. He's back to photographing birds every morning with my son, even in minus 5 degree weather, so that pretty much says it all. My avatar pics are of his birds.

Now for the bad news: I've mentioned before having a surface melanoma on my arm removed in October of 2021. An "in situ" mole of no consequence where all the melanoma 'was removed successfully'. This was a result of having a dozen beauty marks on both arms blow up like balloons after the 2nd Covid shot, grow scabs on them, and when the scab fell off, the beauty mark disappeared entirely. Except for the one. And all of it was not successfully removed after all, as a few cells must've escaped into my body and caused metastatic stage 4 cancer in my lymph nodes, liver, and bones. I went to the ER 3 weeks ago for excruciating pain in my left side where a CT scan with contrast was ordered. The cancer was discovered at that time, and I've spent the last 2 weeks in testing. The cancer is not in my brain, thank God.

The Oncologist told me there is immunotherapy available now for malignant melanoma. 2 types at once, administered via IV (no port) every 3 weeks x4. That's the goal. To turn on my immune system to kill off this cancer. 50% of immunotherapy patients are alive 2 years later. Idk what the percentage is at the 5 year mark. I've avoided doing research bc I'm overwhelmed enough already.

I'm having tremendous pain in my spine, ribs and liver, where the cancer is the worst. The Oncologist gave me some heavy duty pain meds and told me to wait it out until the IV starts kicking in to relieve my pain. He said I would live less than 2 months without treatment so my first treatment is tomorrow morning. The side effects can be gnarly and these infusions WILL kick my butt, he said. I'm ready, I think. Ain't no beauty mark gonna take ME down at 65! 😑

I'm useless at home, so Chuck is doing everything. Laundry, cooking, grocery shopping, driving to appointments. I have a housekeeper coming in to do the heavy cleaning and my stepson and his wife are cooking 7 dinners for us and bringing them by on Saturday. I have to make sure HE'S not overworked during this treatment process to where he gets sick. He's already overcome with worry and shock over all this as it is. I'll ask my stepson to repeat that meal making plan, too...they want to help & we need help.

We've had a lot to deal with the past year, and now my issues, which were there all along, just not apparent until recently. We wouldn't have been able to handle TWO of us sick at once anyway, so this is how it had to play out, I suppose.

The one bright spot I hold onto here is the dime I found on the floor of the ER room I'd been in ALL DAY where there was no dime on the floor. And when the gal was wheeling me back into the room from the CT scan, there it was. I kicked it across the floor to Chuck and he said, "what's that?" I said, "it's a dime from dad, telling me everything will be alright." He was speechless. Dad used to send me dimes all the time after he died in 2015, but stopped the past few years. I have a whole piggy bank full of them.

We can use all the prayers we can get right now, friends. I believe in prayers, in miracles and in signs from our deceased loved ones that they are with us in tough times. If you do too, please send up some prayers for Chuck and I right now.

Many thanks.

Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4 5
Oh, Lea. Praying the immuno stuff works! I have 2 friends with metastatic cancer alive YEARS later due to new treatment protocols.

You got this!!
(11)

Lea, may The Lord God Almighty move on the scene, give you complete healing and strength to all of you for this test.

You got this!
(9)

Your strength and your courage have ALWAYS been a beacon to us all. Yes, you and Chuck have my prayers to your God for your healing, Lea. You can know that.
My thoughts with you in this time of the therapy. The only thing I can say about that, not wishing time away, but reassuring you that the time will pass, is that the month will be gone before we know it. Marking my calendar now that it's the start of your therapy.
Talk about bad things happening to good people. This is hard to accept and hard to believe. My love to you.
(6)

Lealonnie,
Yes, of course, prayers for you Lea. 💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞💞
Continuing prayers for you & Chuck.
(4)

Is it Keytruda? A friends husband started on it for Melanoma.
I can not believe it has been almost a year for the liver transplant!
I wish you well....may you find many more dimes.
Will be thinking of you and Chuck and sending prayers for both of you.
(3)

I'm so sorry to hear this, sending healing thoughts your way 🙏🏻

(I hope you kept that dime!)
(4)

You have my prayers. I am so very sorry, Lea!

I think the dime was from your dad. He’s looking out for you. You can believe that he’s calling in every single favor that he has coming his way for God to heal you completely!

I am glad that your children are helping. You will need all the help and support that you can get during this time. I am super glad that Chuck is doing well. I’m sure that he is devastated by this news.

Sending a bazillion hugs to you and Chuck! 💗
(3)

No, not Ketruda. 2 different immunotherapy drugs (Yervoy and Opdivo) at once with the hope I can tolerate 4 doses, one every 3 weeks. Then down to one immunotherapy drug for maintenance.
(3)

I have every single one, in a piggy bank. There are a LOT too. The one from the ER is in the front flap of my purse 😊
(5)

Lea, great that Chuck is doing so well! Sorry to read about your cancer issue. Maybe a good thing for that Covid shot? It gave you heads up on the melanoma? Know I am wishing you both well.
(5)

Praying for you. Wishing you strength as you take this bull by the horns!
(3)

Nothing "good" about covid shots which create a horrible immune system reaction in many, per my Oncologist. He's INUNDATED with new cancer patients lately.
But thanks for wishing us both well.
(4)

Prayers for you lealonnie..so glad your husband is doing well…
(4)

Sending you and Chuck prayers & blessings!

I know 3 people who beat metastatic cancer now…they dove right into treatments and of course it was hard but their can-do attitudes took them through. I sense the same attitude in you….you’ve got this!

Hugs and more dimes coming your way…
(5)

Cancer is my “family disease” for several generations. Huge advancements have been made in treatment. Wishing you all the best.

Please ask Chuck to keep us up to date when you are feeling down but know that we are all pulling for you and wishing you a road paved with dimes.
(6)

Prayers lealonnie. You have been a tremendous help and source of comfort to me, and I'm sure many, many others, over the years. It is my honor to reciprocate. You are loved❤️
(5)

Which shots did u take?
(1)

Everything Alva said. I just sent a prayer up. I so believe in pennies being left now dimes. 💞
(3)

Oh my goodness! That is a lot for sure. I'm so glad to hear that Chuck is doing well, but saddened to hear of what you're going through and will be going through.
God answered and is still answering all the prayers sent up for Chuck, and He will do the same for you.
I am standing in agreement with everyone on this forum for your total and complete healing and that you will tolerate the treatment better than expected.
God's got this and you! Plus you have your dad as your angel looking out for you and letting you know it's going to be ok. How beautiful is that!
Please keep us posted with your progress and any prayer requests as you start on this journey and you can always PM as well with them.
May God bless you and keep you.
(9)

😍thank you so much. I really appreciate a kind word right now, more than you know.
(5)

A road paved with dimes...I love that! Thank you. I'll ask Chuck post if I'm unable 😘
(6)

I've had lots of pennies sent too, JoAnn, just more dimes. And 11:11 and 1:11s on the clock, all angel signs. Which bring me comfort right now. Thank you.
(2)

Thoughts of light and love. Give the hospital social worker a call. She may know of local support groups or “meal train” to bring to you. As 3x survivor myself, there are so many options now.
(5)

You've been my prayer warrior all along FG. You've never cloaked your words to me in snark, you've just been supportive every step of the way from when Chuck was diagnosed and put on the transplant list, right till today. You've followed our journey to AZ and back, and now mine. I thank you for all your support and prayers all along. Hugs to you, my friend. 😍
(6)

dear lea, i'm sending lots of prayers! wishing you lots of strength, and to be surrounded by love.
(5)

Lealonnie1, I don't know what to say except I'm sorry this has happened to you. My prayers, well wishes especially for you but also Chuck who is still recovering.

I can't imagine the things going through your mind right now, but it's plain to see you're staying strong.

I want collective prayer to make you well again. I will be saying prayers for you.

The forum is here for you, say whatever you need to and I'm sure the continued support will be there for you and Chuck.

Sending hugs & love & prayers.
(3)

LL, this news is a gut-punch. That being said, there is no better time to be sick than now with all the advances in treatments and technology. I will hold you in my prayers as long as you need them.

“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble, therefore we will not fear though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea”
Psalm 46

“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand”.
Isaiah 41:10

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Phil 4: 6-7

May you be fully and quickly healed. May you and your family receive the peace that transcends understanding in each of your hearts.
(9)

Lealonnie - you and Chuck are in my prayers. And I'm hoping you find many more dimes. Peace. Hugs, NYDIL
(3)

Lealonnie, you’ve displayed so much kindness and been such an inspiration to others. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. ❤️
(5)

Lealonni sorry to hear about your cancer. Sending you healing vibes for a successful treatment of your cancer. Chuck didn't get a liver transplant just to lose you.
(6)

1 2 3 4 5
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter