Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
I wish I could send you a book I have. It’s by Tim Keller… “Walking with God through Pain and Suffering”. His thoughts are so real and rooted. Not pie in the sky, but not the sky is falling. Very helpful in reorienting when going through something earthshaking.

One short quote… “While Christianity was able to agree with pagan writers that inordinate attachment to earthly goods can lead to unnecessary pain and grief, it also taught that the answer to this was not to love things less but to love God more than anything else. Only when our greatest love is God, a love that we cannot lose even in death, can we face all things with peace. Grief was not to be eliminated but seasoned and buoyed up with love and hope.”

Many hugs.
(4)

If I could tell you all the miracles my family has had it would overwhelm you BUT our Lord is in the miracle business. Nothing is to great! We will pray every day for that miracle and for peace, strength and energy through it all.
(7)

As I read through the last 24 hours of posts, all I could think was the song by Casting Crowns, Voice of Truthy.

But the Voice of Truth tells me a different story
The Voice of Truth says, "Do not be afraid!"
And the Voice of Truth says, "This is for My glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the Voice of Truth

That is my prayer for you today, that you will hear the Voice of Truth. Blessed rest tonight.
(7)

Love and prayers coming from Florida.

May The Lord relieve your pain and help you sleep tonight. Also, may those liver numbers head back in the right direction!
(4)

Lea,

I’m sorry that you are still feeling funky. Hoping that you will feel better soon.

Ignore postings that upset you. Read only the uplifting messages to you.

Sending lots of love and hugs your way today and always.
(3)

This is my bookmark

This immune therapy is new to me, but like Alva says, your just at the beginning. ((HUGS))
(1)

OK, Lea. Don't know what to say about that other than that you are only one treatment in, and early days, still. Thanks for the update.
(2)

Alva the decline in liver function numbers is a bad thing. It means the therapy isn't successful AT THE MOMENT in shrinking or reducing the number of lesions and tumors on my liver. Per the PET scan, my liver has the most amount of tumors on it.
(4)

big, huge hugs!!!!! filled with warm thoughts!!!
(5)

Lea, is the decline in liver panels a good thing or bad? That is do they want those numbers lower? I am sure glad for any relief on the other areas that are improved.
(3)

Thanks Alva. What you said to that assh$le of an oncologist hopefully got thru and made him a BETTER doctor as a result. Or, it went in one ear and out the other. 😐 Just bc a person, or a doctor, believes something doesn't make it true.

I feel like my bone issues (what I call The Hole in My Back) at the thoracic spine 12o'clock is def better. Same with the rib lesions causing that tremendous pain on my left side. I have no idea what's going on on my right side now......doesnt feel like the liver pain I've been getting, but further up and behind like kidneys maybe? Idk. It's just very acute and painful to move/breathe/sneeze etc. My liver panel numbers have declined again, so maybe it IS liver related.
(9)

Lea,
I am so sorry you have had to get out your WHIP and give it a good crack. But thrilled you are strong enough to DO it!
I hope that's enough to pull any of us straggling back into line.
I'm of a quite peaceable nature, but I want to go all smash-face on anyone who would do anything that might hurt you now. Our juvenile right-fights just are so inappropriate now. I left for two months last one, but now you need us here, so I can't go anywhere.
Just to say, you want me to punch anyone out, let me know. I got your back. Sad thing is, I know we ALL have your back. We just can't help ourselves.
Your oncologist is a SMART ONE. Keep him! MY oncologist, a doctor I worked with for years before my cancer, said to me one day in the hall "So, how are you".
And, meaning it as a joke I said "OK!" pause-pause "SO far!". And he said "Don't ever let that in. Don't ever think this can get you. You have to STAY POSITIVE!".
Of course I was already angry enough at the universe I wanted to smack SOMEthing, so he got it. I pretty much backed him up against the wall and said "Don't you EVER tell me what to think or feel. Don't you ever suggest that what's trying to kill me is my own thoughts!"
Poor guy stumbled all over himself trying to backpedal, but honestly! I mean, here I was-- all those NASTY little cells trying to wreak havoc, and then there's HIM.! Just what I needed! Hee hee!
I hope all the energy we have going forward is put toward your healing. I hope you feel better today.
(7)

Lea, I just want to send words of encouragement to you this Saturday morning. You are continually in my prayers.

Romans 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for good to them that Love God, to them who are the called according to HIS purpose.

Romans 8:31 - What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

This is a mighty trial you are going through my friend. HE is with you and promised to never leave or forsake HIS own.

Peace, strength and comfort to you in The Name of Jesus, Lord and Saviour.
(9)

If this post is going to degenerate into more in-fighting, I'll just ask the MODS TO SHUT IT DOWN, for crying out loud 😑 Please either be here to offer support and/or prayers which means taking your private beefs into PMs to discuss. I'd like to read this thread and feel calm and peaceful, nothing more.

499hopefloats says, "But, when you have done the rounds and are still sick, it can be hard to hear the advice because you are tired and in pain and it sometimes translates into “you aren’t doing enough to fix yourself.” 
THIS! This is precisely why the advice to do this, that or the other is unwelcome for many. Because it suggests we aren't doing enough to fix ourselves. Which is what my Oncologist explained to me on day 1. Nothing I do or don't do will affect the outcome of my treatments. That's up to my body and God, imo.

Ty polar bear. I like to read and comment on posts here bc it keeps me out of my own head to give back a little. Spent yesterday in bed due to extreme right side pain so plenty of down time.

I'm praying for a better day today. Prayer helps ME in a myriad of ways and I highly recommend it for those who haven't tried it. Prayer brings calm and peace amidst fear. That ALONE is worth a fortune and doesn't even begin to cover the other benefits. If the world needs non believers, they are surely NOT needed on this thread to point out why prayer is a waste of time. That's a post for another time and place, not here.
(18)

Lea, praying for your strength right now to get through the tasks before you. One day at a time, you will overcome.

1 John 5:4 -- Whosoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, our faith.
(6)

I thought you were going skiing LittleMelba. This post from you is ironic since you shamed LucyBear because she doesnt want FIL in her home. You have your beliefs and I have mine. But a few posters on this thread were saying that medicene not positive thinking or diet would cure Lea. To me prayer is the same thing and that will not cure cancer either. You can say God created cures for sickness and disease but i disagree because if religious people only existed none would have been looking for cures they would have been too busy praying and trusting in God to be bothered. The world needs athiests and unbelievers who don't believe in a divine being that interferes in the affairs of men and women. I wonder how different our scientific advancements would be without them. And thats the last thing i will say about this matter regarding God and prayers so don't bother replying to my reply. And I am sorry for hijacking your thread Lea.
(2)

Scripture du jour:

“Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread...for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.”

- Deuteronomy 31:6
(11)

God cannot and will not cure cancer LittleMelba. It's the same as positive thinking wont cure cancer either. That's just the reality if the world we live in. I am optomistic that the immune therapy will get Lea into remission and she enjoys more pain free years with her husband and family.
(1)

Lea - gentle (((((hugs)))))) and ongoing prayers.
(4)

HopeFloats what an excellent post. Thank you for that.
(2)

Lea, I'm still praying for you each night to get through these tough times. Yes, one day, one hour, one step at a time my friend. We're here for you.

I admire you for keeping on posting replies to help other posters with their dilemmas.
(3)

Oh and what fresh hell on the Chuck accident thing!?! So sorry to hear that!
(2)

Most of the time people are trying to help. But, the advice/if only stuff gets hard to take when you are ill. I have had a condition for about 20 years. I have done SO much to try to cure it. I let the advice roll off now, but it took me about 15 years to get to that point.

I am a slow learner:)

(The rest of this post is not directed to any other poster… it is more about the people in my own world or things I have seen elsewhere.)

It’s funny, too, how what is old becomes new again. When I first got sick, I read all that I could on eating right, etc. I just recently again had someone bring up something that would “work”. I remember “discovering” the same thing in 2005, it was just packaged differently. And it was new to the person telling me. They were trying to help, of course. They love me. I didn’t have the heart to say been there, done that.

I also now shy away when any guru/medical person turned writer, etc. relies on the “doctors are trying to keep you sick/they don’t know everything, etc.”

Any “expert” that needs to sell you on the science by instilling fear or charging up your emotions is using manipulation, and that includes many natural health folks in addition to the drs they are talking about.

It’s also interesting how people LOVE dr so and so, who is natural and not one of THOSE doctors. Yet, they never really get better, especially if they have something chronic or poorly understood. I think the difference is that they feel heard or the new doctor makes them feel empowered. Either way, it helps. But, the person isn’t a miracle worker. Some things, like what I have, are just not things we have answers for yet. I doubt we will in my lifetime.

Clearly, doctors don’t know everything. Some can be arrogant and vapid. Most are trying to heal.

And anyone who, by now, doesn’t get that they will feel better if they aren’t overweight is living under a rock. Often, doctors avoid it not because they don’t know what to say, but because most people won’t make changes or don’t want to hear it.

Eating right never hurts, sometimes helps a lot, and the idea of controlling an illness with food is very appealing.

Sometimes, it works.

But, sometimes it doesn’t. We don’t have a lot of hard evidence as to why. Sometimes, illness just comes no matter what. And sometimes, as I have learned (and am still learning from what I have) is that some things are a burden to be born rather than a problem to be fixed.

The illusion of control can be nice. But, when you have done the rounds and are still sick, it can be hard to hear the advice because you are tired and in pain and it sometimes translates into “you aren’t doing enough to fix yourself.” I think that is the hardest part even when you KNOW the person and know their intentions are so good and motivated to help.

And sometimes, we just want a brownie;)

Hugs to you today, Lea.
(8)

Oh, friend,
I’m so sorry about the pain that you’re in. I’m glad that the oncologist is being helpful with the meds.

You are treasured here.
(8)

So glad that Chuck's fender bender wasn't worse. Bound to happen. When it rains it pours adage.
Didn't I tell you that all the advice you would get would drive you nuts? It will. EVERYONE knows WHY you got it, or WHAT will cure it, or want to tell you about their aunt Jane.
Do let me assure you, having worked as nurse all those years. One-year-olds, the most innocent being on earth, with no time yet to sugar up, get brain cancer and die before they are two. (I recommend to all Rob Delaney's Book, A Good Heart about his son, a profile in love and courage. Mean people get cancer. Believers and non believers and young and old and all shapes and sizes and vegans and vegetarians and meat eaters.
The best thing to read about all the juju we want to plaster all over what is cells going nuts is Susan Sontag's Illness as Metaphor. Until then people will insist they know the way to avoid this until it lands in their laps. And if we live long enough, it almost certainly WILL land in our laps or into the lap of someone we hold not expendible, someone dear to us.
Sometimes the burden of people and their advice and admonitions--so well meant-- were worse than the spectre before me. It's hard to tough through that stuff when you are trying to beat down fear and pain.
Just plug your ears, cover your eyes, and do the nah nah nah nah thing real loud when it gets annoying, Lea. It's part of this journey, usually comes of love. Glad to get your update today.
(7)

RD, the oncologist has been very helpful with pain management, thank God. The doctor told me to pretty much take these varying degrees of pain killer strengths, and ride it out till I start to feel better.

Ladies, I'm trying to make it thru EACH DAY here, so forgive me if I don't give a flying fig about the effects of sugar on cancer or pain med addiction or much of anything at the moment except the next few hours of fever, sweating bullets, shivering cold, the new pain in my right side I just took a pill for, etc, or the new tests I have to go take now to make sure my thyroid is still working.

Again, sugar has never helped anyone w anything, but sometimes, it just doesn't seem to matter. Especially when you did EVERYTHING right and cancer still sneaks into ruin your life.

Pecansielli, thank you for your prayers.

Chuck had a car accident this morning, his fault, no injuries, insisting on using a roundabout in the glaring sun and then didnt see the guy he hit. 🙄 I'd drive 5 miles out of my way to AVOID using a roundabout.
(16)

Lea,

Wishing you well. I hope your pain subsides soon.
(4)

Lea. Not that I want you to become an addict but are the doctors helpful with your pain management? Would patches help?

I don't love the fact that my mother is on round the clock pain medication but honestly I feel that is the only was she can manage at this point. The bedsore is so deep the bone is visible. I think the medication is what gets her through each day though I find this a very sad way for her to continue on. You are young and vital and might feel better if pain is managed well. I am not saying it is not. I just wonder if the best is being done for that issue. Not a professional, just someone who cares.
(7)

Geaton I don't know if you meant well schooling me about sugar but just FYI it was NOT appreciated. I'm not going to argue with you and others about it - I was trying to be helpful. If you or others happen to believe that sugar is a great thing in our diets, even those with cancer, then go ahead and believe that. If you or others think it's a great source of energy, that's your choice. But I'll believe there's much more to it than the flak I'm getting for my comment. Doctor's do NOT have all the answers. They are taught what they're taught in school and very little of it has to do with nutrition or natural healing. A gross oversight IMHO. My mother is VERY overweight (at least 80 extra pounds on her less than 5' frame) and in the tons of doctor's appointments I've been with her to, only ONE time did anyone mention that she might feel better if she lost weight. I'm sure 99% of you disagree with everything I've said and that's OK. I don't really need to hear about it. Even if you mean well in telling me so.
(6)

Lea,
Thinking of you so much. Hoping the pain level is better and the fevers are stablized.
(5)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter