Follow
Read More
Find Care & Housing
Way,

It sounds perfect for a low key wedding!

It boggles my mind how much some people spend on their weddings!
(2)

way - your gown sounds absolutely lovely!!!
(3)

NHWM, they are serving Bundtini cakes at their wedding, and ordering some layer cake from Whole Foods to cut. It was going to be a SHEET CAKE until I begged her to make it a layer cake. There are a few aspects of this wedding I totally disagree with, but hey, it's not my wedding.
(7)

Lea,

Sounds yummy! My favorite cake at Whole Foods is the Chantilly cake. I ordered it every year for my mom’s birthday.

I haven’t had Bundtini cakes. I have heard that they are delicious. We have ‘Nothing Bundt Cakes’ here. I haven’t tried them.

There are all kinds of weddings. Different trends that go on.

When my godson got married the groom and groomsmen wore converse sneakers with their tuxedos. I thought my mother was going to faint when she saw that. LOL 😆 Not my cup of tea either but I wouldn’t dream of saying anything to my godchild. Like you say, it’s their wedding!
(4)

My daughter is going to cut an apple pie ………she doesn’t like cake .

She wants to serve Dutch crumb apple pie with vanilla ice cream . She said she will also have cupcakes and cookies at a dessert table that people can go up and take from .

Wedding cakes are so expensive .
(7)

I don’t understand how people who have these destination weddings think that it’s practical for all of their guests to attend.
(1)

I love the dress Lea and love that Chuck loves it.

Wonderful news on the scan.
(5)

LL, sipping my coffee and reading your medical update with Dr. C from the other day... beyond awesome to think about where you were just a year ago. But I'm with you regarding staying vigilant and skeptical (or as my Scandinavian hubs would say, "Full NJ Italian" )

(((HUG!)))
(4)

NHWM......thats the one they're getting, the Chantilly cake from Whole Foods 😁

As far as expense goes for a wedding, the nickel and dime factor is insane! I'm shocked at what they're charging DD for every little thing, which adds up to big bucks at the end of the day. Even for a buffet, it's all portioned out for ONE pass through the line! One piece of chicken per person, in other words......how ridiculous is that?? They opted for a sit down served dinner instead for that reason. Its sad what things have come to, with inflation and greediness combined.

I spoke with DD last night and she doesn't have any requirements for what I wear. She was assuming I'd wear something from my closet given my limited ability to try clothing on, etc. As if I have GOWNS to choose from in my closet 🤣. She has no color requirements either. Turns out the mother of the groom bought a gown in a very similar blue to my dress! So I sent her a photo of mine and she loves it. So it's all good from her end. One less thing to dwell on....now onto figuring out how to make her jewelry bouquet!
(2)

Awesome that daughter loved the dress. Crazy that MIL chose something fairly similar too.
(3)

Need ,
It’s not practical ……..destination weddings are sometimes done on purpose to keep the number of guests less. For instance if you have a MIL like I did that wanted to invite everyone she ever met from her kindergarten class on up .
A destination wedding works if close family and closest friends can make it. You run it by those critically important guests first . You can also make it not too far away but just far enough it works . Like if you stay in our country but you go to another region . The closest family and friends can make it . And most others don’t get offended about you only inviting a small number of people.
(2)

Lea,

Eat a slice for me!

I don’t eat a lot of sweets but my daughters ordered the mini Chantilly cake for my birthday. It was so cute in the mini size and absolutely delicious!

I am glad that everyone loves your dress!

Weddings are expensive!

I love that you are making a special bouquet for your daughter. I am sure that it will be beautiful!
(1)

Lea,

Isn’t it outrageous what some couples spend on engagement rings? It’s shocking what they spend on wedding rings.

You could buy a car, furnish your home and other useful things, rather than starting off your marriage with huge debt!
(3)

My frugal daughter used my mother’s engagement ring . My mother gave it to her because she was the only granddaughter . I have all nephews . My daughter picked out a new setting for $2000. Had Moms diamond reset in it .
She has friends with huge rocks .
My Moms was alittle over a carat , which apparently is considered small these days . 🙄🙄🙄 . It’s big enough on my daughter’s skinny fingers .
But lab created diamonds are less expensive , maybe her friends are buying those . Still not cheap though .
(3)

Great to hear about Dr. C and the good news.
(3)

Way, My one carat diamond fell out of its setting two years ago. I found it which was unbelievable. Rather than reset it, I gave the stone to my daughter for my only grandson to use for an engagement ring, of course depending on whether fiancée wants a round cut diamond. Who knows. But it’s there for someone to use or sell if need be. I had 46 great years wearing that ring, but wearing it now doesn’t matter to me anymore.

I also have my mothers ring which she reset from the beautiful platinum 1950s setting into a more modern ugly ring. I wish she kept to the original style. Someone would have loved to wear that. But the stones can be reset.
(4)

Hothouse ,

I had my 1/2 carat round diamond reset 3 years ago because my prongs were so worn .
At the time DH offered for me to trade up to a larger diamond . I said NO , then it would not be what he gave me at all ( when we were happy poor college students , lol) . I picked out a similar setting to what I originally had but added a baguette on either side , and I upgraded to platinum ( from white gold) . At least the center stone is original . I sort of look at it as an anniversary ring now also . It was done around our 35th anniversary and I figure the added baguette on each side is for the two kids we have .
(6)

lea - I am so happy your dd loves that dress. You and the mil will look fine together, I'm sure you will figure out the bridal bouquet and it will be lovely. All of us will want to see a pic of it. From strength to strength...
(3)

Lea,
glad everyone’s in agreement .
I tried that link last night , it didn’t work . I’ll try again later , but I’m sure it is beautiful .
(0)

Thanks Golden! I'm very happy DD and Chuck both love my dress, which gives me more confidence to shine in it. I'll post a pic of the jewelry bouquet once I make it, too.
(4)

Lea,

I just looked up jewel wedding bouquets.

A woman on Etsy has a shop called, FlorioDesigns. She’s in London and makes jewel bouquets.

Etsy shop owner in California called, FlorisAmorStudio has pretty designs too.

Gosh, this is addictive looking at these jewel bouquets!

The bouquets from CrystalWeddingUK Etsy shop are beautiful! Check out JuliasWeddingSalon, gorgeous jewel bouquets!

Oooooh, a jewel bouquet looks like it will be beautiful but time consuming to make.
(2)

Yes, Chuck too, of course. I'm not surprised he loves it. i think you can trust them all. 😊
(3)

Try this link Way

https://a.co/d/2sm87XV

The links seem to expire after awhile.

Golden, it's MYSELF I can't trust! After sitting around here for over a year with no makeup, white lashes and brows, hair not done, I feel like a big mess. Wearing a glamourous outfit feels weird, wrong somehow. But I'm blowing my hair out lately and putting on some lip gloss, so I'm getting there. After seeing MILs gown, although plain, it's a gown and I can't be coming in like a Boho hippie queen so......its glam and bling for moi! 🤣😃😂😁
(6)

Lea, just catching up again! Wonderful news on your doctor visit! Can’t beat that report. And I, as a fellow MOB, looked at the dress, it’s just beautiful! I bought 3 dresses in one swoop for my daughter’s upcoming wedding. I’m happy that I didn’t need a long dress. The wedding isn’t formal, and no one except the bride is wearing a long dress. One dress, she didn’t like, so back it went. I kept the other two, wore one to another dressy wedding a couple of months ago and to hubby’s work holiday party. And the other one was declared winner for her wedding. It’s baby pink crepe with sheer long sleeves, and quite simple. I’m still figuring out what jewelry to put with it. Daughter’s wedding gown is full lace, and gorgeous. The alterations just were completed. It’s all coming together, very exciting time for us both. So glad you’re out and about more and more. And you’ll get there with the hair and makeup, no worries
(5)

Can't wait to see the bouquet when you make it!
(4)

I get you, Lea. With the sessions I have with CFS/FM I can feel pretty fugly. Then I walk past a mirror and see myself and think - it doesn't show that much so I am going with that. But age shows, especially around my eyes, so when I feel fugly I do my eye exercises and put on some makeup and that's pretty regularly. Without eye brow pencil or some such I don't have eyebrows. I used to have a nice nighty wardrobe b/c I was too d*** tired to get out of bed much but I was darned if I was going to look frumpy in my night clothes. A little satin and lace can go a long way to making a girl feel better.

So paint your eyebrows and lashes. Actually your friendly neighbourhood salon can do that for you - they will dye them!!! Get your hair done. Put on your glam and your bling and go Girl!!! Sparkle!!! 🌟✨🎇💖
(8)

Lea,

You are funny! I am giggling at your comment about being a “Boho hippie queen.”

Be true to yourself and celebrate this joyful occasion with your family! You know that everyone is thrilled that you are able to be there as the beautiful mother of the bride.
(6)

I do get my hair and brows dyed Golden, but the brows won't take the dye!!! My lashes I'm leaving alone due to the Iritis condition which will not go away. Feb 14th I see the Opthamologist finally. I'm leaning INTO my super frumpy nightclothes, I love them! No satin and lace for moi 😂🤣😁😎😆

Bit I DO intend to sparkle on DDs day and leave the fugly home.

Yes NHWM, I'll leave my African bone necklaces and long peasant blouses home for THIS event 🤣
(6)

Lea,
new link worked . It’s gorgeous !! I can’t believe the reasonable price for that amount of detailed bling .

Eyebrow pencil works wonders . It takes off 5 years at least . I always had skimpy eyelashes . Getting worse . I will for the first time wear fake at my daughter’s wedding . I am going to get my makeup done professionally for the first and probably only time and ask the makeup artist to just make my lashes look “ normal”. My daughter says they have many different fake to choose from .
I figured why not . I won’t ever have another reason to get my makeup done up for me by a professional . It will be fun.
(5)

Lea - My eyebrows don't take dye well either, so pencil and such is what I use. So glad you are finally getting into the opthamologist for the iritis.

Hey frump away if that's what works for you. 😆 I have had to buy a couple of long sleeved nighties as my shoulders and arms are getting cold at night. Trying to find any I like is a challenge.Most of them make me look like I am 11 months pregnant. And at my age!!! lol

You are going to knock 'em out at dd's wedding! 😮

way - eyebrow pencil is a must and first thing I reach for. Fake eyelashes sound great.
(4)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter