Follow

I know many on this forum depend on medicare and medicaid. Trump wants to cut $800 Billion from Medicare and $200 Billion from Medicaid over 10 years.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/12/trump-2020-budget-proposes-reduced-medicare-and-medicaid-spending.html

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Alva, I agree. We should stay neutral so people don't start going at it. We need friendship, not division.
(1)

That politifact link is for last year's budget proposal for this year, not the one released today for next year.

As for waste in our healthcare system. It's just not a medicare or medicaid issue. It's a US healthcare problem. The US pays the most of all developed countries per capita for healthcare. We have the worst outcomes of all developed countries. It would be one thing if the cuts were due to a cut in costs. It's not. Costs will keep going up. Services are cut in this proposal.

I hear the reasoning of keeping politics out of this forum. But not all news is political. And this news, if it comes to pass, does directly effect caregiving. But if people rather not discuss it. I'm perfectly happy to let it die.
(3)

Here is a more clarifying article (because it's not that simple):
https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/trumpometer/promise/1347/make-no-cuts-medicare/
Also, I agree to keep politics out of this forum. There's plenty of other venues for that.
(3)

There is a lot of waste in Medicare and Medicaid is unsustainable. Fifteen percent of those covered account for 80 percent of the spending. That's not sustainable. Doctors treat both programs like cash cows. They ruined it for everybody, who will now suffer under the cuts. As I understand it, Medicaid will turn into state controlled block grants, which may do better. Medicare needs to be trimmed of waste, and doctors must be held accountable for all of the tests and procedures they order without any regard for cost or benefit. The waste is unsustainable. I am not a Trump supporter but I have felt for a long time that health care in this country is too expensive for what we get in terms of outcomes. Death happens; Americans seem to think that it's optional. A lot must change if either Medicare or Medicaid is to survive for future generations.
(7)

I think it is best (and I happen to be on YOUR SIDE) to stay out of politics here. We all have TV and computer and I am one to hope we are all staying fully informed as we can so we can make the decision we think best in the upcoming elections. I think if we get into politics we will start not liking one another. Heaven knows it is happening even in families of friends of mine. So let's just let one another do all the research, make his or her own decision, and make a vote that makes sense to him or her given how difficult it all always is. As I said, it happens that I am a Democrat, so I agree with YOU. I just don't want the fact that I am a Dem make someone on the forum who feels as strongly about their own well researched ideas and feelings to hate me. Let's stick to elder care, and to being a friend to each person who visits the forum.
(6)

I would need more sources for more info
(0)

Also a huge cut to Social Security
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter