Follow

Since I can't go visit her, I just had my weekly phone call with my Mom. Other than her weekly gripe about "how much she hates it there", and "how she'd rather be dead that spend another day in this jail", she is actually doing pretty well. Doctor checked her out and lungs and everything are fine. She has stopped asking about "going home", just tells me how bad the Assisted Living Facility is. She no longer mentions getting phone or computer, and the Facility Director said she hasn't mentioned her scammer boyfriend in a long time. The Director thinks the meds have relieved her anxiety and delusions of "Freddie", and that she is adjusting to her living situation, although Mom would never let me know that.

Just letting all those who, like me a few months ago, are stressed and feeling guilty about putting your LO in a Facility. They do adjust and things do get better!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Thanks for the update! Always nice to hear something positive. Can you share what the medications are that she's taking for anxiety?
(2)

I've experienced the same with my mom. When she first went into LTC, I despaired of her ever getting adjusted to it, but she is doing surprisingly well under the circumstances.

I sometimes think that this lockdown business was a blessing in disguise. In a strange way, I think that Mom has been able to do better without my being around, and she basically knows she has no choice but to adapt. My presence during the first 10 days of her confinement was probably too much of a reminder of the life she left behind at my house.
(0)

Happy for your mom. Happy for you. Thanks for sharing the good news 😊.
(0)

I believe it is Effexor.
(1)

Whatever works, right? I am glad. Very happy to hear things are improving.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter