Follow

No friends, no adult daycare, I'm it.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
lauraRedstone, there is this wonderful thing called Medicaid [which is different from Medicare] which will pay for your Mom's care but only if Mom moves to a nursing home that accepted Medicaid.

I know, that may not be her wish or something you want to do, but please note that 40% of caregivers pass away leaving behind the love one they were caring. Then what? Mom would be placed in a nursing home with no one coming to visit her :(

Think about it, and if you are at a point of feeling like you are going to crash and burn from exhaustion, then it time to make a serious choice. At least call your State Medicaid office and talk to them. See if Mom would qualify. And see what other programs are available to help you while Mom lives at home [it will be limited]... each State has their own programs.
(0)

Dear Laura,

I'm very sorry to hear how you feel. I know its hard when you feel like you are the only one that can take care of your elderly parent. Please know there are resources available in the community and through the church. You are not alone. All caregivers go through the feelings of being trapped and alone. I know its hard. Please don't give up, try and take baby steps in accessing the help for yourself and your parent.
(0)

Sorry to hear.
Contact resources : Doctor/ local senior center / church/ area agency aging / hospital all should be able to help you find resources. They are a phone call away. If money is the reason, there are caregivers that volunteer.
Recommend start going to church and senior center, if she is able.
(0)

Sorry to hear this. You could hire caregivers from an agency. What stage is her Alzheimer's/Dementia?
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter