Follow

I know in the scope of things this should be a very minor problem but it is just another of many thorns in my side regarding my aging parents [in their 90's].

Because of a postal thief of a dividend check from the mailbox in front of my parent's house and others in the same subdivision, my parents decided to purchase a post office box at the local post office. This all happened 40 years ago.

My parents use to drive daily to the post office to pick up their mail, even though they have a mailbox at the end of the driveway like everyone else does in the neighborhood. Since my parents stopped driving 5 years ago, I have to go to the post office to get their mail.

I am still employed, so I had to go to the post office daily after work and on Saturdays. Usually 50% of the time there was just junk mail in the postal box, wasn't worth the trip. Eventually I was able to narrow down the number of times I went to the post office box from daily to now once a week. Unless my parents are in a panic over something they need, that should be in the postal box, like papers from the CPA or a prescription from a doctor.

I wish there was some way I could convince my parents to let the mailman drop off their mail at the box in front of their house. Me suggesting to my parents to change over to home delivery is met with a brick wall. You'd think they were in a witness protection program the way they act.

Should I just grin and bear it?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
What you could do is install one of those locking mail boxes at your parents home. After the mailman puts the mail in and closes the door it can only be opened again with a key. Don't know if they would agree but it's worth a try!
(1)

Close the PO box and have all the mail sent to your house.
(1)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter