Follow

Folks, just wanted to say a sincere thanks for all the caring and knowledgable answers to the question I posted last year, here: https://www.agingcare.com/questions/is-it-time-to-move-my-mother-into-assisted-living-461993.htm

I have indeed moved her into AL. It was challenging during COVID to do more than look at the outside of the buildings, but I finally made a decision. Once we both had our shots and things loosened up a bit we were allowed to tour the place. She moved mid-June and is still adjusting (just a slight understatement, lol). Assisted Living is slightly more $$ to what we were paying for the home health team plus IL rent. (And worth every penny in terms of my own health.)

We were never able to get her IL place tidied up, until her things were removed. We got rid of a lot during the move, including food and cleaning supplies and tools that she doesn't need now. The new closet is tiny; her winter clothes are at my house. Of course, I hear about it every time I go there.

Someone asked if she would be living under the same management--that is a NO. New place, new space, new managers, and a different management company. They will take Medicaid when the time comes. No MC though.

Someone else suggested staying with her for a couple of days. Not an option, since she was in a studio and there was no sofa. Even when we travel I can't share a room with her. She's up and down all night. But oh, if I could, the material for standup comedy...

But seriously, I could go on. Of course, can't we all? which is why we're here. So, I'm posting new questions under various topics. I know you'll give me lots to think about on all sides of the equation, so I can make an informed decision, and I just want everyone to know that I appreciate that.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Thank you for putting this out there. We are looking at this step now too, so it is nice to hear about other people's experiences. ❤
(0)

I’m so glad things are working out for all involved. This is a difficult path to walk… with this forum we are never alone!
(0)

I'm so glad AL seems to be working!
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter