Follow

My MIL has been with us 5 years. My husband has 4 siblings. We have had ONE 5 day vacation together in that time when he told his brother he had to caregive her while we visited MY mother who is the same age and lives with my sister. His siblings do NOTHING. Not even have a meal with her alone. No thank you for having my mother in your living room as a 3rd wheel 24/7, cleaning up after her etc, and giving up one income so husband can stay home. I have given up my bathroom and my privacy. I hate it. Thank you for listening. :) PS I thank my sister's husband all the time for having my mom there. I know what it's like.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Dear Bea,

I hear you. I so desperately wish more caregivers would get more help from their siblings. I wish they even knew how to give more acknowledgement and validation. It is sorely missing and hurtful.

Good of you to care for your MIL. I know its not easy and there are so many challenges. Please know we are all here to listen and support you in anyway we can.

Thinking of you. (((hugs)))
(0)

Family can be very unhelpful when it comes to caregiving. That seems to be the general rule, with a few exceptions. My brothers have never helped in any way and have never even said thank you for doing this. I guess they feel that I'm not doing it for them personally, so it never enters their mind. It is just the way it is.
(4)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter