Follow

Thank goodness for everyone here! Your advice gave me the courage to get me out of burnout and an abusive caregiving situation. Now I have to deal with guilt and loneliness, but I know it will take time to adjust to a happier life that I know I deserve. Thank you everyone

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Dear Katalina,

I'm glad you are doing the right thing for yourself. And you recognized it was time to make a change. I wish I had done the same before the anger and resentment had poisoned my judgement and compassion. It will take time to adapt, but I know you can do it. (((hugs)))
(2)

Happy for you, kata! I'm lying here in real time on the sofa I bought for my dad's new Senior Apartment. I know I've secured his future. Now how much more do I want to put myself through??? And why is it so very guilty and lonely feeling? I was brought up to believe that family is a tribe -- and one does not abandon your tribe. But I'm worn out at present. I want to hand off care to others and take a step back and remember who I am without this caregiving as part of daily life. I don't know if it works like that.

I hope you have found your peace with "all of it." I wish you a bright, happy, peaceful future.
(2)

It takes courage to call it quits! I called it two years ago now. Regaining my life, and really reinventing it has been a challenge. My caregiving was also abusive, but not by the folks, by twisted sisters that I will never know or understand their behavior over that four years.

So be patient and kind to yourself Katalina. It will happen. I first needed about seven months to even begin to feel like myself. It is still a work in progress. Best wishes to you.
(5)

You do deserve the chance at happiness! I know it is MUCH easier to say "don't feel guilty" than it is to put that into practice, especially if guilt is a long-time companion. At least try to push it to the very back of your mind, and don't let it make any decisions!
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter