Follow

This Thursday my mother fell and broke her hip, she was 94 and battled Alzheimer's and bladder cancer. She was relocated to in-house hospice and passed away last night.

I have found much comfort in this site and have sought guidance from time-to-time. I just wanted to say thank you. I don't know if I will be logging in as often, I really am ready for a new chapter in my life; but this site has been invaluable to me.

I have told a few people about this site who are now beginning their caregiving journey and mentioned it to the hospice social worker who knew nothing about it. God Bless and thanks again!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
DoreenC,
I'm sorry for your loss. Your mom is at peace in a better place. Hopefully you can begin to cultivate your new life

We're all here for each other. God bless you on your new journey.
(6)

Blessings and peace to you my friend! May your journey forward be wonderful!
(5)

Hi DoreenC, I am sorry for the loss of your precious mom. My mom passed away in May. Since that time, I have embarked on a new journey myself and am enjoying every minute of it. I did the very best I could for my mom, so I have no regrets and am at peace with her passing.

Now I'm having a lot of fun figuring out who I am these days without any caregiving responsibilities (after 15 years of taking care of both parents). It's exciting and I look forward to every step of my path. Best wishes on your journey - may you find peace and happiness.
(8)

I’m very sorry for your loss , know you are in my thoughts and prayers,,if I could hug you I would ,,I can give you a virtual hug 🤗 and know how much I care ...
(5)

DoreenC, please accept my condolences on the loss of your mother. I can't imagine what you have gone through. I do appreciate your kind post. Thinking of others, in your time grief is admirable. Take care of yourself and best wishes for your future.
(5)

I'm so sorry, Doreen. I know that her being released and your being able to look ahead don't make the loss any less. Here's a toast to your new chapter :)
(5)

Doreen, I am so sorry for your loss. My mom passed in June she is in a better place and never would have wanted to live the life she was living. Twelve years since dementia diagnosis, four of those I cared for her until she went to memory care two years ago. I am still reclaiming my life and at this point still enjoying my me time. Best wishes as you embark on this new path.
(6)

My condolences for the loss of your beloved mom.
(4)

Bless you and your family as you grieve and beyond.
(4)

Thanks for your kind words. I am grieving but so relieved her suffering has ended. My mom has outlived everyone in her circle of family and friends, now she can be reunited with them. I would like to share this poem, it gave me great comfort.

Gone From My Sight

I am standing upon the seashore. A ship, at my side, spreads her white sails to the moving breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength.

I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then, someone at my side says, 'There, she is gone'

Gone where?

Gone from my sight. That is all. She is just as large in mast, hull and spar as she was when she left my side. And, she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined port.

Her diminished size is in me - not in her. And, just at the moment when someone says, 'There, she is gone,' there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout, 'Here she comes!'

And that is dying...

Henry Van Dyke :
(3)

I'm so sorry.
(1)

I'm so sorry for your loss, Doreen.
(1)

I'm sorry for your loss and wish you the best as you move forward
(0)

Doreen, please accept my condolences on the loss of your Mom. My husband and I only recently lost his Dad, after living with us for 13 plus years, and while we miss him, he is in a better place, and is no longer suffering.

It is a very strange place to be in after caring for so long, but we are in the process of finalizing his estate, and as he is our last remaining parent, our lives will changed in so many ways.

We are now free to move forward, enjoying our own 4 kids and 4 Grandies, as caring for his Dad put quite a damper on our involvement, not being able to leave him alone for fear of falling and his own fears of being alone.

I hope that things ease up for you, as you too enter into this new and exciting chapter of your life, I know that we did our best, as have you, and can go forward knowing that, so we have that, and our good conscious going forward.

Good luck in your future, and know that you did you very best by her!
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter