Follow

Since I last posted, I had found a contractor that will redo the inside of my grandmothers house which has been vacant since she was in the hospital and now nursing home since. So far the inside of the house has been cleaned out. Tons of stuff went in a dumpster. The other stuff in the attic is next. As of now the inside is getting repainted all wallpaper is going to be removed which has been on the wall since the 1960's maybe longer than that. Afterwards the floors will be refinished as well as the kitchen will have new flooring and the toilet and sink in the 1/2 bathroom will be removed as well as new light fixtures will be installed. New radiators will be put in unfortunately a few of them busted due to the cold weather over the winter. The front porch, shutters and front door will all be repainted. The brick steps will need to be replaced, since some are loose. After all is done what will happen with the house? I will have to find out the appraisal on it and go to the surrogate court to get approval to sell it. That was my grandmothers wishes was for me to sell it. That will be used to pay for the nursing home as long as she is living. There is no significant changes with her. She can still eat solids in the nursing home and can still talk well. Her ankles however are very swollen due to hypertension. Which runs in the family. The nurses keep her on the wheelchair to stabilize the ankles if the fluid goes up, that can be fatal. That's how my mom passed due to that.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
elaine 1962 im not her poa she never had one for me when the will was rewritten I had to get a guardianship on her behalf
(0)

Coneal, I take it she won't be coming back to the house? She will stay in the nursing facility? If she will allow you to be her POA you have the ability to sell the house for her, especially since that is her wishes for you to sell her house. Have her give you Powe of Attorney and you can do everything on her behalf.
(0)

ppl have suggested I rent it out I don't want a role as a landlord especially since I work full time a hour and a half away from there if stuff breaks
(0)

It’s a transitioning time for both of you. A time of adjustment...
(1)

I dunno tbh trying to explain it to her she was confused as to why she'll be happy for me to have the money once it sells but not so fast there. yet
(1)

Glad you were able to find someone to work on her house.

Do you think she will be in shock to see it or displeased? Or happy?
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter