Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3 4
Just because some of you are offended by calling a diaper a diaper doesn't mean you get to preach to those of us who are not; my mother was not offended either, she was never one that believed in hiding truth behind cutesy language. And besides that we are caregivers talking among ourselves, we're not addressing the people we are caring for here and the things we type here may have nothing in common with the words we speak. GET OFF IT.
(12)

Thank you MJ!

Touchmatters, I know what you are trying to accomplish and I don't disagree with trying to be respectful. But at the same time - as MJ stated, there are literally adult diapers. With tabs - I don't think you can call those disposable underwear - and honestly I don't think that is disrespectful to call it what it is.

Depends - I can get - basically those are the equivalent of Pull-Ups to me - but I can certainly understand why if we aren't calling them the brand name - why it would feel better to not call those diapers. My FIL didn't want us calling those types "diapers" when he first started wearing them because it was embarrassing to him. If we called them Pull-Ups or Diapers it upset him. But when he has been in the rehab and hospital and they actually used the tab kind - and they called them diapers - he started using that term - because that is what they are.

I am 100% for being respectful in our terminology. But as MJ said - I don't think we can change what they are if they really are diapers. I mean I guess by it's most simple definition - because it is worn under other clothing, it fits the bill - but I think most people who are wearing that type vs the Depends either know they are in them and that they are actual diapers, or aren't even aware they are in them, because someone else is having to change them.

Not to mention that we now have actual Reusable Incontinence Underwear - that is actually NOT disposable - at least not as a one use - you have to wash them each time they are "used" but I'm assuming they probably don't last as long as regular underwear and their effectiveness lessens with each wash- so to some extent it actually IS disposable somewhere between one use and regular underwear.

Now, I agree - that we probably don't need to be shouting to the high heavens in public to say my FIL that he needs to change his diaper - that is probably intentionally disrespectful when we could be much more discreet. But just the use of the word here - when everyone is doing the same thing and knows the meaning - I don't think it is derogatory or disrespectful - I think it is reality.
(4)

Nah

If it flies like a duck, quacks like a duck, and swims like a duck, it’s a duck.
(7)

Way, that nurse was probably very constipated. Haha.
(2)

I had a friend ( retired nurse ) scold me for using the word diaper
(2)

I don't find the word diapers in anyway disrespectful. The first time I heard someone getting offended by that word, I thought it was odd. That's just a word to mean a certain product. Nothing bad about diapers. Thank goodness for the invention of the diapers. Imagine if we didn't have them. Yikes!!!
(8)

Diapers and disposable underwear aren't the same thing.

Depends are disposable underwear and the wearer can pull them up or down as needed.

Diapers are for the fully incontinent.

The fact is, most of us start life in diapers and end our lives in diapers. Euphemisms won't change that, and I've already seen too many people posting here who think disposable underwear equals diapers then can't figure out why they leak.

Better to use their proper names, I say.
(11)

I try to say underwear or briefs but sometimes I slip and say diaper . It usually happens when I’m upset , it slips out unintentionally .
(1)

AC is not even removing vulgar cuss words from the posts here!! I find it highly unlikely they'll get their overworked "IT Dept" to change all references to diapers to "disposal underwear" which I assume you mean disposable underwear?
(7)

“Briefs”’ is a good way to go also. When my very “with it” dad got ill so suddenly, he took to wearing briefs since he was on lactulose, a laxative . We always called them briefs.
(8)

1 2 3 4
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter