Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3 4
Is on humiliating if you are putting off that vibe... My mom doesn't really care what you call them. She calls them panties or briefs so that's what I call them.
(2)

There's a topic called 'Adult Diapers'
(2)

Growing up we called them panties and underwear.

So that's what I called them with my Mom too. Mostly panties.

I just thought if that's what she was used to, then regardless of the product, I'd continue to call them what she was accustomed too.

Every family is different, but it made sense to me.
(1)

I think your intentions are good, TouchMatters. You just want to be considerate and kind, and vocabulary does matter.

I do agree with what some people here say, "every family is different". I always called them "adult diapers" because that was what made everyone comfortable in my house. No one wanted to call them disposable underwear, or similar.
(2)

@venting

There's nothing wrong with calling things what they are. If you believe it will make an old person feel better calling a diaper 'panties' or 'briefs' or anything else, then people should do just that.
I think it's absolutely ridiculous that caregivers talking amongst themselves in a support group for caregivers are getting upset by the term 'diaper' being used.
It does not make a caregiver using the term diaper here more considerate or kind than anyone else.
It makes them sound knit-picky, santimoniously over-sensitive, and ridiculous.
(5)

I think OP has good intentions and is wanting to be kind and considerate. Vocabulary is indeed important. In my house, "diaper" would be utterly unacceptable, but "adult diaper" is OK. I agree with other forum members who say "every family is different".
(0)

Good intention? Really? Please read the subject line again.

TM wants to dictate what terminology everyone else can or can not use based on HER judgement.

I don’t consider that good. I call that censorship, overreaching, and total disrespect to other people’s freedom of speech.
(3)

Hi, Touch Matters,

AgingCare has a topic called "Adult Diapers" because this wording is a highly searched term on Google, meaning, when people go to Google looking for information about disposable underwear, the vast majority are typing in "adult diapers". We want people to be able to find the resources they need on AgingCare, and so we have a category named after what they have searched for. Changing the name of the category would mean significantly less people finding this resource on AgingCare.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with the community, we hope you're having a good week.
(7)

At this point I could care less what they are called ….so long as my FIL allowed his diaper, underwear , drawers , pants , briefs , bloomers , panties, speedo …..whatever be changed more often .
🙄😤😤🙄
(5)

Yes I think TouchMatters meant well. Personally, as AC said, I think it's good to write "adult diapers" as a topic. And personally, I think it's good to avoid the word "diaper". I think "adult diaper" is just fine. But again, these are just my views.
(2)

1 2 3 4
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter