Follow

It's kind of a rant post. The nursing home where my grandmother is at called me this morning about the payments. Does it look like I have money growing out of my ears? 1. I have not gotten the guardianship until I get my court date next month which is TBA yet 2. They should understand the situation once the guardianship starts they will be paid on time until what ever happens down the road. I did agree to at least give $1,000 out of my pocket on Thursday that's the least I can do. This is making me want to scream. I'm doing all I can and it gets worst by the minute. The healthcare system is a joke in this country I'm just appalled.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
@john Roberts yes in nj when I'm appointed guardian I do have access to my grandmothers assets this process took a little longer than usual I signed the papers in September to be presented to the judge but she was on vacation my case goes to court next Friday then I should be the permanent guardian on her behalf I will look into the medicaid as well but that also depends if she makes a certain amount most comes from a teachers pension she has been getting since retiring back in the 1980's
(0)

Does your grandmother have substantial assets that will become accessible when you are designated to serve as her Guardian? The daily cost of care is substantial.

Does Guardianship in your state allow the Guardian to access and manage assets? Be certain you will have authority to accomplish what is necessary.

Talk with an Elder Law Attorney now, to plan your role as fiduciary for your grandmother, and prepare for Medicaid eligibility. Rather than pay out of pocket for care, your grandmother may be eligible for Medicaid.
(2)

What's a board and care home? Is that a smaller residential home based out of someone's house?
(0)

Most large facilities are in it for the $$$$and are seriously understaffed and cut corners where possible, like quality of food. I moved my dad to a board and care home where he gets much better care, better food and more affordable.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter