Follow

Hello everone,
Sad news. My 101 year old mother died unexpectedly Friday evening, 10/16/20. I am all alone with no family here. Tomorrow (well today I guess already Saturday) I have to go to the funeral parlor to make arrangements all alone.
I had just helped her to go to the bathroom. She was walking back holding onto her wheel chair and started to shake violently. She collapsed into the wheel chair. I dialed 911. She was not breathing so I pounded her chest with my fist twice. She started breathing. Took about 20 minutes for ambulance to arrive, 15 minutes before they left the house with her, 20 minutes to the nearest hospital. I rode in the ambulance and half way to the hospital they put the siren and lights on, I knew then she most likely would not be coming back home. I prayed her favorite prayer, The Hail Mary, the entire trip for her. At the ER a doctor stopped me to take me to a waiting room but then another doctor came from the room she was in and they took me right to her. She was dying. There were about 10 hospital staff in there ready to try and save her but I said no. She does not want any such attempts. They quietly and quickly backed right out of the room but one nurse stayed with me. I called my sister and held my phone to mom's ear so she could say goodbye. Did the same for her 1 granddaughter and 1 grandson. The nurse said she could still hear. I hoped she could die peacefully at home but guess that was not meant to be. The day before she died, she said to me "Susan, you can go on your own now. You can do it." I asked her if she wanted me to move out and quit taking care of her. She said "no but you can go on your own now." I guess she knew her time was near. A priest came and gave her the last rights and stayed with me until my good neighbors came to take me back home. So my caregiving days are over now. But I would give anything if they were not. May my sweet little mother find eternal peace with all the loved ones she missed so much that have passed before her.
Thanks to everyone that answered my questions on here. You were all so helpful. Very much appreciated. My heart is aching and broken. She was my very best friend my entire life. I still have my little dog though. He is a comfort more than ever now. My sister, well, she hung up on me mad. Guess some things never change even when a loved one dies. She will not becoming when Mom's remained are interred at the cemetery. That hurts but nothing new from her. Now I do go on my own. Mom's they even give us words to remember and get us through a tough time like this.
"Susan, you can go on your own now. You can do it." I will do my best to honor her wish.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Dear Sue, thank you for sharing your mom's journey with us. I'm so sorry for your loss.
(4)

Gentle (((hugs))), I'm sorry for your loss. 101! - she lived a long life and was blessed to have you right to the end.
(3)

I’m very sorry for your loss. Your post brought tears to my eyes. You were a great daughter. May you find peace
(3)

I am so very, very sorry for your loss. (((Hugs))).
(3)

I am really sorry for your loss. You were lucky to have her so long as she was both your mom and best friend. And she was lucky to have such a loving daughter as you are!
(2)

Susan, I am sorry for the loss of your dear mom. Yes, sounds like she knew this was coming. Sorry for your sister's response. You are right some will never change. Know that you did the right thing. The docs trying to save her would have been very hard on her. She lived a long, happy and comfortable life thanks to all the help that you provided to her and she knew that.
(2)

I’m so sorry for your loss. What an incredibly long life your mother had! That’s something to treasure for sure. I lost my last parent this past summer and had to quickly learn to tune out the negative relatives, I hope you can do the same. I wish you peace and comfort
(2)

Susan, those words were a precious gift from your mom. It brought tears to my eyes even, what a dear, sweet and loving mother.

I am very sorry for your loss. Grief is a hard and lonely journey. Time will help, and I hope you are gentle and easy with yourself during this difficult time.

Sending you a warm hug.
(2)

So beautifully written, it made me cry. How blessed and fortunate to have such a great mom. Not all of us were so lucky, so be grateful. And she was blessed to have you as a daughter as well. Don't worry about the your sister, you just take care of you now. You will be ok. There's a song by Tasha Layton, called "Into the Sea" (it's gonna be ok). You can find it on Youtube. Listen to the one with the words on it as they are powerful. My husband passed away a month ago, and that song has helped me so much.
May God bless you and keep you in the days, weeks and months to come.
(1)

I am so sorry. But she had a long life and someone who loved her very much. Not everyone has that.
(1)

Susan, Your post was written so lovely. I am deeply sorry for your loss. I’m thankful you were able to be with her and say good bye. I experienced my dad’s death in August and was alone. I understand. I’m praying for God’s wisdom, clarity, insight and peace to envelop you.
(2)

How wonderful your Mom was able to give you this message, to have your loving care and your prayers to the end. Mourning will be eased by knowing there was nothing unaddressed for your two and you were able to be at her side. What a wonderful long life. Celebrate that as you also mourn your loss; I know you will miss her. It has helped me to make a kind of scrapbook of pictures of my bro, and to "write to him" letters of memories and thoughts I would have told him were he here. Hugs out to you.
(1)

Sue, your post brought tears to my eyes, but warmth to my heart.   Your loving story of your dedication, your relationship, and the last moments are so inspiring and comforting.    

You already have an excellent concept of your relationship and the interaction; I hope you hold these concepts in your heart for the rest of your own life, and be nurtured by the wonderful relationship you had with her.

You have my sincere condolences, but also my admiration for the poignant thoughts  of your last moments.
(4)

Sue,
This is so heartfelt I am crying and my niece is crying as I am reading aloud your post on your dear mother. My heart truly goes out to you. I am going to light a candle and say a special prayer for you. How wonderful your mother passed with you present. You made the right decision and now your dear mother is at peace. You will always have those special memories and your mother was blessed to have you caring for her. She know it was her time and she tried to prepare you as best she could. Hang on to your sweet and precious memories in your heart. Please stay on this Forum so you will receive and give some good support from the wonderful caregivers on this site. Your mother is no longer struggling and at peace. My mother is my very best and dearest friend as well and when she passes it will be most difficult but in my belief I know I will be reunited with her in a better place. My thought in prayers are with you during this difficult time. Sending you a big hug.
(2)

"You know, if we were to put this apple down, and leave it, it would be spoiled and gone in a few days. But, if we were to take a bite of it like this, 
it would become part of us, and we could take it with us, forever. 
Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything."  ~ film; Phenomena

"Nothing in life will call upon us to be more courageous than facing the fact that it ends. But on the other side of heartbreak is wisdom."
~ film; I Wish I Was Here

Wishing you comfort from loving memories and the strength that comes with wisdom.
(1)

Dear "SueNWPa,"

My heart is heavy for you right now and I'm so sorry you have lost your dear mother and best friend unexpectedly. It was so hard for me to read what all you went through and how scared you must have felt.

You did everything you possibly could in those last moments. I'm so glad you were with her in the ambulance and I'm glad the second doctor led you into her room to be by her side. I'm so sorry that your sister was not able to put her own bad feelings aside but like you, I learned that things do not change in those types of situations even when a loved one dies - it's a hard thing to accept. But, you took the high road and gave her an opportunity to say goodbye along with her granddaughter and grandson.

Our pets can be a huge source of comfort especially if our actual family isn't. Your little dog will sense your sorrow and be by your side.

God bless you, keep you in His care and comfort you as you mourn the loss of your mom and begin the journey of grieving. You will be in my thoughts and prayers - that God will give you strength to begin the planning process for your mom's interment. A big hug to you and for taking care of your mom.
(3)

Thank you forum members for your heartfelt condolences. I just came back from planning my Mom's funeral and decided to go on here. I am so glad I did. Your kind words have brought tears to my eyes but warmth to my heart. I do not feel so alone as a result. Your responses touch me deeply, every one. May God bless you and the loved ones you care for too! The funeral director is the grandson of the funeral director that buried my maternal grandfather and the son of the funeral director that buried my maternal grandmother. He treated me with such kindess and made every decision so easy to make. Mom will be cremated and her ashes interred at the cemetery plot she has with my Dad who died in 1982. My only nephew, a Baptist minister will be coming from Chicago to do the graveside service. My Mom's sister, the one that dumped Grandmother on Mom after draining her bank accounts for 17 years will come with her son. I did not have the heart not to inform them of her passing. I do not mind that they will be there. They are Family and I will handle it best I can. I am not going to fret about my sister. Best to just leave her be. I did ask her to write the obituary and I did text her the photo for the newspaper. I don't want her to feel left out. Mom loved her to and so do I , it's just her behavior that sometimes drove us both crazy.
Again, thank you every one! Much appreciated!
(8)

Sue, you are an extraordinary individual and have a very kind heart. I am glad things are going smoothly for you. I am sure it is hard, but your strength will carry you on. Please reach out to us anytime if you feel the need to vent. I did light a candle and said a special prayer for you.
(3)

Dear "SueNWPa,"

I was so glad to read about the funeral director being the grandson of the director of your maternal grandfather's funeral and the son of the funeral director who did your maternal grandmother's funeral - He treated you with such kindness and made every decision so easy for you to make - what a blessing as I know making those arrangements so quickly after losing a loved one can be overwhelming. And now, your only nephew who is a Baptist minister will be coming to do the graveside service - I believe God is already showing you His provisions for you with how things are coming together.

You are handling the family issues with great maturity and kindness.
(3)

I’m so sorry. It is sad. I’m glad the priest was able to be with her.

The prayers are very comforting. I had a priest called for me a few times in my life. It meant a lot to have someone pray with and for me during a life threatening situation.

When my brother was in the end of life hospice facility I called for our family priest to come over. It helps.

May your mom Rest In Peace. I know that your mom wants nothing more than for you to know that it was her time to be with the Lord. She would want you to be at peace.
(3)

God bless and be with you. Sounds like you done a wonderful job caring for you Mom. Sounds like she knew it was her time and God was calling her home. She wants you to be strong and on your own. It will take some time and trust me take all the time you need. I was with my Mom when she passed 4 years ago, after taking care of her for almost 3 years after her stroke. My husband passed in February unexpectedly from a stroke and I have never been on my own. It is also my time to be on my own. God has been with me every step taking care and providing for me. My son is my backbone too. Pray and PRAY. All will be ok.
(4)

My condolences Susan. It sounds like your Mom was one special lady. I'm so sorry for your loss.
(2)

Oh Susan, I am so sorry for your loss.

May God give you strength and grieving mercies during this difficult time.

She was right, you can do it! You have the love and strength that she gave to you all the days of your life and you will be okay because she will always be with you.

Great big warm hug!
(3)

So sorry for your loss of your Mother. I hoped it helped some to tell your story. If it does & things get tough, please find people you trust to share with.

Your Mother told you can go on your own now - but you will always have memories of her that stay with you.
(3)

Love and best wishes, Margaret
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter