Follow

For once, I would like to see an article which covers the numbers of people on Medicaid who are the old's and need memory care or long term care. I don't see this coverage. I see poor and disabled. Do you see anything in your geographic area? If so, where are you located?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
If those data exist, I would guess the U.S. GENERAL ACCOUNTING OFFICE might have them. You can check the website.
(0)

Segoline, I know what you mean. I hadn't realized Medicaid was covering nursing home care when any savings folks had ran out until I came to this forum.

I did recently come across a mention of Medicaid in regards to the elderly but I can't quite remember where. It may have been in the comments section of a New York Times article about the difficulties of establishing "Medicare for all".
(0)

In 2014, and it will have changed but not much, Medicaid spending broken down by category was as follows, in millions:

US total $462 837
Aged $96,403
Disabled $186,866
Adults $89,866
Children $89,688
Other $13

I got these figures from the Henry J Kaiser Family Foundation; but in any case if you Google "Medicaid spending by category" you can feast on statistics 'til Easter if you like.

If you are interested in gathering data to prove how ruinously expensive it is to keep demented old people alive and what terrible parasites they are, I do also urge you to look at the amount of money put in to the health economy by self-funding older people.
(1)

The Medicaid safety  net might not be pretty all of the time..... but thank goodness we have the safety net.
(2)

Your state Medicaid office should have figures for your states. Many states are on the verge of bankruptcy due to nursing home Medicaid. Some states are actually auditing some Medicaid facilities.

Google Gov Richard Lamb of Colorado. Back in the mid 80’s he became very controversial with his speeches bout the elderly and very ill having an obligation to die to keep the system from falling apart. He was controversial to say the least.
(1)

The NY Times column on THE NEW OLD AGE made me aware of how many older peep care financed by Medicaid. i know how to get all of the stats. What I am asking, is, if, in your geographic area, does the media do a fair job of reporting how many old's receive for memory care or long term care.

LTC policies usually last for 5 years. Media coverage I have seen doesn't discuss that once tolled, Medicaid comes into play once tolled.

Have you seen this kind of discussion in depth in your geographic area. If so, where are you?
(0)

I have not seen much in the media about this specific topic probably because it’s not a hot topic here. There is plenty of coverage when it comes to the ACA but nothing specific to the elderly and how many are on Medicaid. I’d also venture to say that the numbers have increased significantly since 2014 because of the state’s that expanded their Medicaid programs to allow more people to qualify for Medicaid.
(1)

I have been seeing more and more articles about aging, caregiving, etc. in The Washington Post. I live in the Washington DC burbs.

In the past, I guess if there were articles I just flew past them because it didn't relate to me. But once my parents started to need help, and once I found Aging Care forum seven years ago, it became a whole different ballgame. I also didn't know about Medicaid for the elderly and was relieved that program existed.

Also have seen numerous articles on the success of the Affordable Care Act [Obamacare] for those who never had health insurance, and are now on it. People seeing doctors for the first time in decades and getting the much needed help to improve their lives.

In my area, we have dozens upon dozens of 55+ communities... Independent Living along with Assisted Living and Memory Care all in the same complex. New ones popping up yearly. Thus, the builders are planning ahead. Two new complexes just down the street are in the planning stage, one being 55+ low income housing which I think is great, within walking distance to shopping and medical center.
(0)

Like you, I occasionally have seen or heard a news article about the disabled or poor who are on medicaid and I see lawyers ads promising to get folks onto disability (in my state I think it's called Tenncare). I haven't seen articles about the elderly who are on Medicaid in my state. Maybe they lump them in with the poor because only the poor elderly qualify for help through Tenncare? I can get the stats at my states website. I'm in Tennessee.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter