Follow

For those who like Television at all, and especially Masterpiece Theater, a new series starts tonight with Glenda Jackson. For those old enough to remember her she was likely one of the best actresses to play Elizabeth I on a series. Never a beautiful woman, she is a very bright one, and served in Parliament for years. She plays a woman trying to figure out a murder mystery, even as she descends into aging dementia, which she is aware she is facing down. I think the premise sounds so interesting. So I am on for this one.
If you have Netflix I am finding Hinterland gets better by the season. Detective stories situated in Wales.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Thanks, Alva!
(1)

Alva, I just checked our Masterpiece schedule for tonight.  There's an Elizabeth is Missing, which does address dementia.  Is that the program to which you're referring?

This is one I plan to watch. 

There have been a few other programs on dementia over the past years.  Law & Order SVU had a few episodes including dementia as a major issue, or sometimes an ancillary issue.   

Some of the PBS channels have had documentary programs, including ones on Dance for PD as well as painting as stimulation for those with dementia.
(1)

Yes, Moody. It is Elizabeth is Missing. This surely is more along the lines of fiction, but some of the best fiction I have read and some of the best Alzheimer's stuff I have read has BEEN fiction, for instance Jean Hegland's book Still Time. She did, however, work with memory care patients as a volunteer a good long time.
(1)

AlvaDeer, I found it. Will have to scan topics more closely. I hope you liked it, I think it is a one time movie, though.
Also, I love Hinterland and pretty much anything BBC.
Take care,
Rbuser1
(1)

I did watch it; it's very emotional.  

It will be replayed on Masterpiece PBS for a few more times over the next few weeks. 

One thing I found challenging:   scenes shift between current and childhood.  I wasn't able to figure out who the childhood figures were or how they related to the adult situations.   Eventually I did, but it distracted from the theme of dementia.
(1)

Gosh, Alva, the Masterpiece movie was soooo great. So sad. Such good acting. Thank you for the suggestion!
Colleen
(1)

I also saw "Elizabeth is Missing", what wonderful acting. Wish I had seen the first hour of the show, the second hour wanted me to see more.

Is this a series, or an one time movie type?

Anyone know when "Victoria" will be starting up again? It's been like two years since the last series was shown where Albert was showing some signs of an illness.
(1)

FreqFlyer, the PBS station in my area skimmed through a list of upcoming shows, showing that the Elizabeth feature will be aired a few more times; I don't specifically remember the dates, but you might be able to find out from the PBS listings in your area.

I think it's a one time feature; I haven't seen anything that it will be a series.

And off topic, All Creatures Great and Small WILL be a series, starting this month, I think.    I loved the James Herriot books.

Not sure about the Victoria series though.
(2)

I am able to stream it from the PBS website. Maybe I will watch it tomorrow.
(1)

Another dementia-themed movie coming out soon is "Supernova" with Colin Firth and Stanley Tucci. The trailer is devastating -- look it up on YouTube.

I watched "Elizabeth is Missing" and mostly enjoyed it, but the mystery part was a little hard to follow. (I'm not a fan of mysteries for that very reason).

I think Victoria is dead at this point, which is a shame. It was pretty good. I'm also annoyed they cut "Home Fires" off before it was wrapped up, but the Brits did that, not PBS. It was a lovely show.
(1)

Watched "Elizabeth is Missing" on PBS.com.

Thank you for mentioning it.
(1)

Pbs.org
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter