Follow

I called our auto insurance company to see about taking my husband off the policy to lower our rates. He is unable to drive at this point and it was his idea to remove him from the insurance. I was told that taking him off would actually increase our rates by a fair amount, since I'd lose the marriage discount.

What kind of company would reward leaving a dangerously ill and infirm driver on their policy instead of taking him off?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Wow Pam! I am honestly shocked you saved money switching to AAA! That is awesome! We have tried switching to AAA & bundling the homeowners and auto insurance but we would pay about $500 more a year! We have roadside assistance through AAA and would love to have home & auto insurance through them but they cost more than what we have now!

insurance rates are pretty comparable here with the exception of AAA, they are the most expensive! We have Geico car insurance. Which will probably be going UP since I just had an at fault accident. Geico was the cheapest we found. I have no complaints, they’ve been good to us but I do think $2700 a year for 1 full coverage vehicle and 2 18 year old cars with liability is A LOT. I shouldn’t complain though because they are giving us $25k for the car I totalled! I was expecting $15k max. Blue book value is $17k.
(1)

We pay 400.00 a year for my brand new Subaru and 300.00 a year for my husbands 15 year old truck. Total of 700.00 per year with both vehicles with both having liability, collision and comp. Our deductible is 1,000 for each vehicle. No accidents for us.
(1)

Wow Gem, that is harsh! I pay 1700 a year for 3 cars, and I have 50/100 deductible! And they get me for working in a bad metro area ( one car) although I live in a very rural area.
(0)

Worried, here in MD there are huge differences in the price of insurance. We stayed with nationwide for years because all our insurance was with them. My DD worked for AAA for years, and one day she told us how much they saved her,, so we got a quote. We got 3 cars, homeowners ( with a adjusted UP price on our home,, it needed it in this market) and a personal liability policy for 1 mill. for about 1000 less than our HO and cars were with NW. I was astounded! And I kept my low deductibles! The rates have stayed down, but I will admit I have not had to take "anyone" off the insureance..
(1)

Are you in the US? This happened with my mom. She’d never had a single wreck or speeding ticket & the car insurance went through the roof. They were going by credit rating, and everything had been in my Dad’s name. Everything mom had bought was paid in cash. Totally unfair.
(2)

CM, going to another insurer may not result in a lower rate. They all give the same discounts for the most part and the OP won’t get the marriage discount if she switches insurance and doesn’t put her husband on the new policy. In my experience, in the US the auto insurers don’t take health in to account. Age, occupation yes. The older you are, the lower the premium. There are good driver discounts and accident forgiveness (not everyone offers that one). I don’t see what harm it does keeping him on the insurance and why notifying the insurance if his health would be beneficial. He is no longer driving from the sounds of it.
(1)

Go to another insurer. There's no shortage of them, and it's a competitive market.

Which leads me to ask: how are the premiums arrived at in the US? Do you have things like no claims bonuses, limited mileage policies, variable excesses and so on?

Also: the law is being tightened up in the UK and the EU, but for the time being at least female drivers are usually cheaper to insure than their male contemporaries (don't blame feminists! - it's actuaries who do the sums); so while you're shopping around I should have a look at insurers who seem to focus on female customers.

As to the kind of company that would offer a discount for retaining a policy holder who is dangerously ill and infirm: if your husband's illness and infirmity impact on his driving (theoretically), have you specifically made the insurance company aware of his health conditions? If not, even if only because they've given you no opportunity to do so, I should check your policy extremely carefully and make sure there isn't any weaselly small print about non-disclosure.
(0)

Both my mother and mother-in-law had both stopped driving and cancelled their car insurance. They raised the rates of their homeowners insurance because they were bundled together.
(0)

When I got divorced, my rates went up, even though I’m a better driver now! I haven’t had a ticket in over three years and I’m paying $900 every six months for a $1,000 deductible in Denver! I checked around, too ! Progressive is the cheapest for me; Nationwide would have been 1300 for six months. It’s outrageous.
(1)

I am awaiting an updated policy. I don't know how much the premium will increase.
While husband was in the snf, I told the agent he could no longer drive, but the agent did not remove him from the policy. Maybe this was part of the reason. I guess if the rates increase enough, it's an incentive to shop around.
I hope you have a good outcome when all is said and done.
(0)

Crazy, but true. My grandfather was going to take my grandma off, since she is in a nursing home. It’s cheaper for him to keep her on. And, my Dad took my Mom off when she passed away and his rates went up. Doesn’t make much sense to me either.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter