Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
I won't post all that is going on here lest to bore you lol, but had to mention a somewhat comical situation.

So, last night dinner was pasta with sauce and meatballs, vegetable, juice and milk. A female resident took offense to something an aid did ( I'm guessing) and proceeded to dump all the food on the floor . Mind you dinner was late again, still the aid was upset to have to clean up the mess.

Early this morning, there was some sort of argument amongst the aids ( same one that had it with the female resident is on duty today), which sound like it was getting heated. Just another day at this NH 🙂
(4)

Room move is making a little more sense since one of the reasons for the move could be to make this place more palatable for those coming out of a hospital.

There are 2 hospitals less then 5 miles from this place as well as a competing NH less then 2 miles down the road.
(3)

ITRR,

I believe that you are correct in your assessment about regarding money as the bottom line.

Let’s face it, elder care is a huge business. I looked up information on assisted living facilities. I am amazed at how many people are investing in assisted living facilities. Many new facilities are being built to accommodate needs.

I am a boomer and it’s projected that many of us will be needing assistance before too long. The supply in demand is going to greatly affect costs of care.

These facilities will be making enormous profits. The investors will do very well.
(4)

ITRR,

You can say that again! Indeed, we either need an advocate or we have to be very aware of what is going on.

You are correct that when a person is too sick to fend for themselves, it can be a problem.

I did pray for God to watch over my mom’s care when she was doing her rehab. I feel like He answered my prayers because mom told me about the incident. If she hadn’t told me, I wouldn’t have known anything about it.

Venting,

I feel the same way about meds as you do. I was very concerned when mom told me what her nurse did.

As I said, I feel for the staff when they are understaffed but the nurse made a bad judgment call to over medicate my mom.

The DON was responsive to this situation. The next time I took mom to her primary care doctor, I started to inform her doctor about the incident and her doctor said that it was in her file. So, this was confirmation that the DON wrote up the incident.
(3)

Need, double dosed? That’s crazy and criminal. I’d like to see if the nurse would like someone to double dose her one day.

PD medicines are very powerful. They’ve been compared to cocaine. That’s how powerful they are. Double dose can absolutely be harmful. In fact the rule is, if you forget a PD dose, forget about it. Don’t ever double dose. The nurse knew that. She took a criminal risk with your mom. It wasn’t the nurse’s body. It was your mom’s body. Thank God your mom was mentally fit to notice and let you know.
(3)

NHWM. The challenge is that far to often, when someone is in a facility, they can't advocate for themselves because they are to sick. So, The Lord help anyone without an advocate finding themselves in managed care nowadays.

The climate in facilities has changed and not for the better, low pay, azzhat bosses treating the boots on the ground caregivers degrading and shareholders making huge profits has made the entire medical industry just that, an industry and that is criminal, imo.

However, it has been heading that direction for decades and now the beast is to powerful for any meaningful change to occur. We are all screwed by this mentality of an industry focused on profit at the expense of human beings but, history proves this isn't the first rodeo of sacrifices of human lives for profit and power.
(6)

Cover,

Overall, mom’s experience was good. There was one major incident that I had to raise hell about. An LPN decided to double dose mom, so she wouldn’t have to return back to her room later on to give her the next dosage.

I get that the they were under staffed, but the nurse shouldn’t have given my mom a double dose of her Parkinson’s meds.

I reported it as soon as my mother told me about it and I was pleased with how the DON handled the situation. He removed this LPN from mom’s care and wrote her up.

I shudder to think about how my mom would have fared if she hadn’t had a family member to help. I could not let this incident slide. I don’t knit pick about small issues but if something is serious, I speak up.

Mom was one who went along with authority figures. She saw this nurse as an authority figure. Yet, she was uncomfortable taking a double dose, so she asked her nurse if it would harm her.

The nurse told mom that a double dose wouldn’t hurt her. I was not happy with her making a blanket statement about meds. Everyone reacts differently to meds.

Mom wasn’t totally convinced that the double dose wouldn’t harm her but she did as she was told by this particular nurse.

Mom was concerned that she would be mistreated by her nurse if she didn’t listen. She was even afraid of me reporting her. I reassured mom that I would handle it.

I’m so glad that mom told me what happened. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have known. The nurse admitted that she was double dosing people when they were shorthanded.

Let me say, that I have the utmost respect for the staff but I will not tolerate when someone isn’t doing their job properly.

I called mom’s pharmacist and told her what happened. She told me to report the incident because she said that she was probably doing the same thing to other residents and placing them in harm’s way by not administering medication as she was supposed to be doing.

The pharmacist said that mom would be okay if she only overdosed her once but if it continued there would be problems.

It definitely helps for people in facilities to have advocates and if they don’t they have to advocate for themselves. Hang in there, Cover!
(2)

NeedHelpWithMom

Lol that is funny, the TV blasting😄. It was sweet of you to brighten the lives of some of the other residents.

The cries for Help, yes it is kind of sad but it is what it is. They're mostly ignored until the aid can get to the women. The one lady is kind of funny when she is in her wheelchair and wants to go to bed. She tells the nurse "come" with hand gestures as well.

Exactly atmosphere is depressing. You know it's bad when even some of the workers can't wait until their day is done.
It's great your mom put in the hard work to get better and had wonderful PT and OT to boot. It is nice also, she had a roommate she got along with and actually missed when she was moved.

I guess her experience there though not great wasn't too bad?
(2)

@sp196902

Maybe medications, but some hospitals patients can eat when they want. The hours are say 6:30 to 7 pm, the patient (or nurse, aid) calls the Nutrition Dept to place their order, food is served 45 mins to an 1 hour, the only hours restriction is the time to order and still get breakfast.

As an added bonus a menu is provided to every patient. This works well for the hospital, why can't it be the same for a NH?
(2)

Cover,

I heard the, “Help!” cries every time I went to see my mom in rehab at her nursing home.

Her OT and PT team were great, which is why I chose that place.

The atmosphere could be a bit depressing at times though. I did my best to make their lives a bit brighter. I brought treats for many of the residents. It was nice to see them smile.

Mom worked so hard to improve and she did. Sometimes, I wish though that I had selected a nice assisted living facility for her to do her rehab in.

Mom’s roommate was a sweetheart, sadly she wasn’t able to be helped by rehab and went to live with the permanent residents in the facility. Mom then had the room to herself. I think she missed the company of her roommate.

I would walk in to visit mom and I would chat with her roommate too. They had their televisions blasting because neither of them could hear a damn thing! LOL 😆
(3)

Interesting, saw a thread almost 10 years old asking "If putting someone in a Nursing Home is giving them a place to die in" In a way it feels like that.

It's understandable now, why so many NHs have Administrative offices near the entrance and/ or away from resident's rooms so they can do their shift, and head for the door when they're done. They have a choice to interact with residents or not.
(3)

@NeedHelpWithMom

Thank you so much!! I will. You as well🙂

@MD1748. So it's pretty common? Lol. Seriously it was only one resident doing it, now another resident has started doing it.

It probably was different then, but sadly not now. There is one "yeller" in rehab; a guy who doesn't want to do it and let his feelings known. Thankfully, I happened to have earbuds to sort of drown out the noise and listen to music, watch videos on the phone, etc. Quiet area(s)? Ironically, one is where they have a dining area that was used, but not now, before COVID.

@AndSoItGoes
Thank you. Me too 🙂. I agree, it would be nice if there would be more insider accounts being in one of these places.
I can definitely tell you, Weekends are the worst, especially if you don't get out for a few hours.
(3)

Cover909: Yes. I've experienced it firsthand. I'm so sorry this is happening to you--but also glad you are on this forum speaking out. More insider accounts are greatly needed.
(6)

You’re very welcome, Cover. I wish you well. Please keep us posted on your progress. Take care.
(2)

A big THANK YOU and BLESS You to all who have responded to this thread. Your kind words have really made a difficult situation more palatable 🙂.

To clarify things, I'm not totally against NHs ( or AL or ILs either), just the way many are run and even the "assuming" all residents can think and/or do for themselves.

With regard to the NH ( It's being referred to in some instances as a NH as well as/or in spite of a Healthcare Center.

Regardless, there is tension to forming not only with the residents, but some staff as well. I went out for a medical appointment and actually preferred the hospital to the facility; that's how bad it's slowly becoming. They're trying to attract patients from nearby hospitals to consider them for their healthcare needs.

Seriously, PT and OT and a few nurses have made the stay here more tolerable. Still, I hated leaving my old room for a shared room, since I had become used to it since comings here 3 months ago. The floor I am on is most depressing, and as I am writing this a lady across from me keeps crying "Help help". It really is time to leave this place and I'm going to do all I can to make that happen!!

Again a big THANK YOU and BLESS YOU to all who have responded. ( Good or Bad:). You all are the Best.
(5)

Cover,

I do hope that you are encouraged by the support that has been offered to you. I am glad to see that your concerns have been acknowledged by others here on the forum.

I do feel that you have a tough situation because you are going through this struggle alone.

It’s much easier for people who are in nursing homes, assisted living or memory care facilities that have family members visiting them and are also serving as an advocate for them.

I would see if you can speak to someone at your nursing home about all of your concerns, not just your physical needs but also your emotional needs.

Are you close with your sibling that lives far away? Would it help if you were able to speak with them on the phone from time to time? Is there a social worker on staff where you are that you would be interested in speaking to about your experiences? Or perhaps a pastor or deacon?

I commend you for sharing how you feel with this forum. Don’t isolate yourself from others if you need help. I realize that it’s easy to give up on people if you don’t feel as if you’re receiving any support.

Keep talking, but try not to be overly defensive or aggressive. Take a step back and allow people to move towards you. People naturally want to step away from people who move forward aggressively.

Hopefully, you will not be judged and others will be willing to meet you wherever you are, however you feel about life in general. Take as much time as you need to sort things out. Change doesn’t happen overnight. It’s one step at the time, one day at a time.

Be willing to listen to what others have to say. You don’t have to agree with everyone about everything. That’s impossible but try to keep an open mind.
(4)

Cover,

I am glad that you reached out to the forum for support. Everyone needs support during certain times in their lives.

I don’t feel like you are trying to be malicious in any way with your negative attitude towards nursing homes.

I can see that you have struggled in your own journey and want others to know that there is a flip side to everything.

You have a right to play devil’s advocate when you are frustrated. Just be aware that others have had good experiences that they also have a right to share.

I have seen a mix of good and bad things in nursing homes. I appreciate the fact that you wish others to see a realistic view of all situations.

I am glad that posters have shown empathy to you while you are going through this challenging time in your life.

As I said in my earlier post, I truly hope that things will improve for you soon. Everyone deserves respect and good care.

Best wishes to you, Cover.
(5)

Shocking to hear this cover. Nobody had any idea how you felt about managed care of any kind!!!!!!

My aunt was "cared for" in the utopia of her daughter's home for 5 years. The time it took for the Medicaid look back period to expire, after mom sold her home and gave the $$$ to daughter. She was left in bed upstairs for the majority of the time since she was wheelchair bound. Dh and i were called one day to come say our goodbyes, my cousin said her mom was dying. We went over....my aunt looked awful and was semi comatose. We cried and said our goodbyes.

Shortly after, my cousin decided to place her mom in a nearby Skilled Nursing care facility with Medicaid which was approved. My aunt flourished there bc she was gotten up every day, dressed, put into her wheelchair, brought to the dining room to eat meals, to the activities room to socialize, bathed, medicated, etc. She went on to live another FIVE YEARS.

All nursing homes don't deserve the horrible rap you give them. And certainly not the vast majority of ALs we should all be so lucky to afford in old age. If your temporary rehab SNF is so dreadful, just check out and go to PT outpatient. You would not be the first person on earth to choose that option.
(5)

That’s too bad. Cover, your original title was fine.
(2)

Well I see that as predicted the title has been changed, that didn't take long 🤣
(5)

Cover, I feel for you.

Sounds a bit like elementary school.

In my mom's NH, she was able to decide her own rising and going to bed times, say whether she wanted showers or baths and when she wanted her nighttime sleeping pill.

She was able to say yes or no to activities, visits from the therapy dog, priest, exercise and cocktail parties.

I think part of your issue may be that you are in rehab in a NH. If you need rehab again, if there is a choice, you might look into places that specialize in short term rehab, which are either free-standing or part of ALs

Wishing you good health and strength!
(7)

Will laws change one day, to make NHs’ quality better? It’s not impossible.

It won’t happen soon. I hope one day…
(4)

I agree that the reality of LTC and SNF needs to be an open and honest discussion about the realities of life inside them.

Anything run by the government is not going to be pretty. That's the truth and if only Ventings solution could be a reality but it won't be. The money these places charge most goes to the top and the ones doing the work get the lowest amount of money.
(4)

I get it.

But also:
Cover isn’t against NH. In fact, Cover needs to be there right now. Cover is just warning what it’s really like (there are always exceptions), for many people.
(4)

So much of this does circulate around "Money" neither of my LO's are wealthy, but between their SS, small pensions and their investments they can manage to be self-pay.

Those dependent on social services basically have no option but to be housed and generally have no say.

Somehow, the root is generic, no planning for those "Later Years", today it is essential, as we are all living longer, in some cases too long kept alive by artificial means, again back to "Money" everyone gets rich except the patient.

I am 76, totally independent, President of a 501c3 private charity dedicated to helping our seniors in need, I also serve on another large corporate board as the Chairman, and finally a HOA.

So yes, there are still some of us "Elders" that contribute to society, I think the # is larger than you know.
(3)

sp196902 - my mom's doc withdrew all medications except those they felt were necessary for her quality of life years before she ever needed long term care, at the time I worried she would immediately stroke out and die (or worse, live but with a higher level of disability) - but she just kept on going.

People are going to age and unfortunately many of those people are going to reach a point where they have a high level of needs, the only way I can see finding any solution is if we stop sugar coating the appalling truth about life in LTC. In my experience people not in the system just don't get it.
(7)

I hope things get better for you and you are out of rehab soon.

Before I was living with the situation I currently am in I would have been horrified by the thought of placing either of my parents in a NH.

We kept my parents at home arrangement going for years. Got help in, did everything that needed to be done. My siblings and I really tried. We hoped that they would just go in their sleep. Bu reality finally set in when my father declined so quickly last year and we had to call EMS in the mornings to help the aide get my father out of bed. That’s when I realized the current situation simply was not sustainable and that we were no longer able to care for him at home properly.

I do not feel guilty about this in the least. I only feel bad that he is lingering so long in this condition and placing him there was what needed to be done,

Yes it is institutional living. Yes there are rules and times that things are done. There are pros and cons to everything in life. It is not perfect but this is how it has to be for my family.
(5)

“So what's the solution?”

Make better quality NHs. AND stricter laws about quality. Also, stricter laws about minimum number of staff (in other words, more staff).

When laws impose high fines, suddenly NHs will improve their quality 1,000,000%.
(3)

I’m so glad more people agree. I agree with Cover, too.

Cover isn’t against NH: in fact Cover unfortunately needs to be there right now.

Cover’s point is to warn us of the reality of many NHs (there are always exceptions), what they’re like…
(4)

So what's the solution? Maybe withholding medical services so they don't have to stay institutionalized for so long and can die with dignity?
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter