Follow

This thread may get taken down; if so, so be it, but, without being too wordy, they suck.

I feel for anyone who needs the services of one . There is a reason they have been compared to being a prison. With only subtle differences, they are.

NHs "think" for you, be it when medication is dispensed to when food is served.

They need a resident to move from one room to another, done; all that is needed is follow the state laws regarding this making sure to look for loopholes (if time permits being a good one).

This is just one example. Those who say they make friends activities, etc. Of course that could happen, since many residents will spend the rest of their lives in one. One learns to "adjust" the same as prisoners who have been given a long prison sentence.

In conclusion again, NH.s SUCK!!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Cover,

I hope that you get out very soon! I’m proud of you for working so diligently to make it happen.
(1)

@NHWM

I can't find your post, darn it🙂

Keeps getting better, though, a few people ( including OT and PT)and myself have tested positive for the virus; this fuels the desire to get out of here
(1)

Cover,

Who is she pinching, other residents or the staff?
(1)

One more thing, the "Help Help" lady appears to be "graduating" to pinching.
(1)

Gets better and better here, tongue in cheek. There may be a possible COVID outbreak; several people have it. I feel sorry for those that do. I found it out through cell phone messages; a cook may have left.

The unintentionally funny part, an aide took a break and didn't come back. Oh well.
(2)

@ventingisback

Exactly. I think many Nursing Homes are set up this way. Once their shift is over, they head for the door lol

@cwillie Probably, though many principals want to be a positive influence in the students life.

Lol well she was trying
(1)

Oh please, there are a lot of schools where the principal is not interacting with the students, at least not in any positive way.

On the other side of the coin - the administrator of my mom's NH made it a point to be able to greet every resident and their family by name, she was so fake empathetic it was sickening.
(3)

Principal vs. facility

“principal can have more interaction with the students.🙂”

Whereas the lady in charge is intentionally avoiding contact with the elderly people and how they’re doing…
(1)

cwillie

True, though one difference, the principal can have more interaction with the students.🙂
(1)

It's similar having the principal's office at the main doors of a school - that's where all the administrative action takes place.
It is the director of nursing/DON (director of care in my part of the world) who is in charge of all the care plans and care staff, the administrator is more concerned with budgets, ensuring proper filling out of forms, billing, HR, payroll and other such business related duties.
(1)

I noticed that the lady in charge of the whole facility probably, or at least the day to day operations, her office is behind the front desk reception 😆.

She does not have to go by any residents room, even to use the bathroom or to pick up anything from the printer.
(1)

@Emma1817

Well first I'm a sir🙂

Second, don't you think regardless of age, wealth, or health, people should be treated with compassion and care, which is sadly and sorely missing from many NHs?

I'm not against what few good ones there are, just the bad ones.

FYI Many people can live to be very mature ( I hate the word old) age not only being of sound mind but of body as well.
(5)

Well, if people live and live and live forever, as they seem to to do these days, then they must “live” somewhere! So sorry the places you deplore bear little resemblance to the Ritz. What would be your pleasure, madame? Exactly what do you expect to be provided on the cheap, or for free?
(2)

Nursing Home Tip

Keep your mind active, learn new things. If you don't, it may slip away.
(1)

Interesting past few days at the NH. The door alarm malfunction, a resident "feeling out of it" sent to the hospital, then today, water leak from the ceiling affecting one section of the first floor ( near my old room)

Maybe it was happenstance, but I've seen the name of the new resident in my old room, been told he was there, then saw his sister bringing him goods while waiting for my ride to the hospital.

All one can do is laugh lol
(2)

@Hopeforhelp22

Hi Hopeforhelp22. Thank you!! I sure am trying hard. It's really time to go home. I realized that when I went to the hospital to see my new PCP and actually felt better with little pain there then in the NH lol. I can't let the stress of bring here get me down and interfere with my progress.

Back at you with love, healing and positive energy 😊.

Thanks so much again!!
(4)

Hi Cover - I hope you're getting better and stronger with each and every day - and ready to return home very soon!!

Sending lots of love and healing, positive energy!
(2)

Hi NHWM

I'm doing good😆. Thank you for asking. I hope you are as well.

PT and OT are going well; being sick set me back so it is as if I just arrived at the facility 3 months ago. I'm chomping at the bit to get out of here.

I did go by my old room. The first time there was no name on the plaque by the door, the second time heading to the bathroom as part of transfer for OT, there is a name there. I realize I won't be going back to the room. I'm surprised that I really miss it.

Thanks so much for your concern 🙂
(2)

How are you doing, Cover? How are PT and OT going?
(2)

Fun day today.

Aides fussing with a couple residents, door alarm kept going off almost every time entrance doors were open and closed, more PT and OT refusals, top it off ambulance downstairs for an emergency. I heard it was a mess.

One good thing, another resident was discharged and heading to Washington State. I guess Bye bye Ohio.
(4)

VentingIsback

You as well, Thank you!!

You're so right, it makes life easier and with less stress.
(2)

Have a good day Cover!

I get what you’re saying.

I’ll add:
Some people like to work as little as possible, and like to give the work to the family as much as possible. Some people even inappropriately get angry at family who point out important things they do wrong.
(2)

Another tip/warning if you're in a NH

Nurses/Aids really like what is called "low maintenance" residents; this makes their job much easier.

From personal experience, I recall accidentally triggering the Emergency button in the bathroom. The aid responded almost immediately. She mentioned they were scared that something was really wrong with me, since I didn't need their help much.

If you or your loved one can do at least some things, you can see some difference in the service you receive.
(5)

ITRR

Exactly to what you said. You probably described the NE OH medical scene to a T.

The world renowned Cleveland Clinic Main Campus is huge. It's so big they have to have helpers in case visitors can't find where they want to go.

This lends itself to many medical related businesses trying to patients to use their services. Not to be left out, the Clinic is in competition with these outside businesses as well.😆

Many if not all the NH and ALs make sure to be located not far from the nearest hospital.

It's a huge money maker that sees no signs of slowing down in the near future.
(3)

VentingIsback

Thanks so much!!! I'm working hard to make that happen.

It sure will feel GREAT 😄

Home cooked meal? night out at a restaurant? YES and YES lol

One learns to appreciate what they may have taken for granted, after being in one of these homes.
(1)

Hope you get out soon, Cover! :) I bet it’ll feel GREAT. Just think of your first home-cooked meal! Or night out at a restaurant! :)

Speedy recovery!
(2)

A warning for you or a loved one in a NH. If you eat the food there, be wary of foods with gravy or any type of sauce.

Since they have to make a lot of food for the residents, there's a chance any sauces are not heated well or at all. This could lead to you getting sick.
(1)

@ VentingIsback

You're so right, those are beautiful words to hear🙂

@JoAnn29

I can't blame you.
Yes I'm in rehab. Hopefully not too much longer ( even though I really like the therapists). I was making great progress until I got sick from food poisoning which wiped out most if not all the progress I made.

I'm in essence starting over and am back to where I was when I first got here 3 months ago. So very frustrating, since I probably would have been out of here.

Thank you, I sure do have rights. The only small "positive" my roommate is a smoker so he's out of the room a lot for long periods.
(4)

Cover, I have to agree with you. Because of my parents I have had to sit in hospitals and Rehabs. Moms last Rehab (she had Dementia) was going to be her last. But I was able to find her a nice LTC facility. She was treated very well, but then she was easy to care for. I just could not physically do it anymore.

My DH and I were just talking about it, we will not be doing Rehab. My husband is very hard of hearing and staff not sympathetic to it when in the hospital. Me, I can't imagine having to share a room with someone I don't know. Or sitting around most of the day in a strange place. And even though I don't eat much, I want it to taste good when I do eat.

Are you in for Rehab? If so how long? You do have rights as a resident.
(5)

The kindest thing a nurse can say in hospital to a person recovering who’s about to be discharged, or in NH for rehab (like you OP), is:
“I hope I never see you again!”
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter