Follow

My mom had a stroke two years ago she is in a care home and me and my family visit every day my mom has started to imagine that there is water all around her and will not sleep as she keeps saying that the river is up she isn't on any medication just paracetamol i was wondering if my mom needs and medication

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Pasport my mom had a stroke 6 1/2 years ago. Immediately afterward she developed vascular dementia and visual hallucinations. They have since progressed and she sees all different kinds of things. She used to see knives in the shower, people that I can't see (angels?), etc. She was left with a left side visual field block. One doctor told me that since her brain can't process any image in the "visual block" it grabs random images and places them in her field of "vision". Also suggested that the hallucinations are past memories that haven't been put back in the correct place - could be something she saw on tv, or remembers from her life, even a stranger she saw somewhere. The brain is so very complex, isn't it? I like jeannegibbs' recommendation to comfort her. Mom used to think there were wolves outside and that we were in the forest (neither). I have gone so far as to "take care of" something she's worried about (leave the room and shoo away the bears or wolves, take the hungry child in the next room and feed them, etc.). My mom's always put everyone else first. I think this is an extension of her natural compassion and if I'm able to, I "handle it". Jeanne's right - you cannot convince them that what they see is not real - it IS real to them and so it must be dealt with somehow. As soon as I get mom satisfied that she's alright, I redirect her to something innocent and happy. Works most of the time. Best wishes that you'll find a way that works for you and your mom.
(1)

This is a delusion. If she actually "sees" the water, it is also an hallucination. (It is one I've heard described before. I wonder if water delusions are common)

This could be caused by a number of things, including a uti. Share her symptoms with her doctor.

How does the staff handle her restless nights? I think I would try something like, "Yes, the river is up. It is up quite high this year. But we have a very strong system to keep the river out, so you and all of the other residents are quite safe." Comfort her and help her feel safe. You aren't going to be able to convince her the river isn't up.

Has your mother shown any signs of dementia, perhaps from the stroke? Delusions are common in some forms of dementia.
(2)

Have them check if she has a uti as well.
(1)

Well paracetamol IS medication (acetaminophen in the US) and in large doses over a long time it can severely damage the liver. Ask the MD to do bloodwork to check her liver function.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter