Follow

She now requires a feeding tube and mostly around the clock care (from both the care provider and relatives) as a result of what happened. She (to my knowledge) no longer urinates in a jar but now does her “business” (BOTH urination and defecation in an adult diaper). I’m actually writing this as my grandmother just defecated and is being cleaned up by my mother (it smells HORRIBLE as you can probably imagine) but the new routine has not become a problem as of yet. I think my family knew that this situation was going to happen (obviously because of her condition) but as long as she is comfortable in a stable home, I don’t think she (at least right now) has to be in an assisted living facility. Could anyone provide resources (websites etc) to possibly help my family understand what my grandmother now has to live with?? My grandfather is obviously very stressed

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Have the responsible family members talked to the medical professionals (doctors, RNs and discharge planners) about your grandmothers condition, what her prognosis is and what her care needs are?

Has anyone suggested facility care or hospice?
(2)

An AL facility will not except her. They don't do skilled nursing which is what she will probably need eventually.
(0)

Yes they have but at this point, I don’t think facilities are an option. The next step (this would probably be in the near future) for her is probably an assisted living facility but as far as I know the conversation has not been discussed
(0)

If she is on a feeding tube, I would start researching nursing homes, not assisted living places. Where I live feeding tubes are not handled by AL facilities. It sounds like she is passed that. They need to talk to the discharge planner from the hospital.
(1)

She doesn’t qualify for AL if she needs round the clock care. Her needs are too great. She needs MORE care than an AL will provide
(0)

I am so sorry for what your grandmother and your family are going through. It’s overwhelming even under the best of circumstances. They are very fortunate to have a very caring and compassionate person, such as yourself, to want to ease the burden in some way. I applaud you.

You've already received some great advice. The medical professionals involved in your grandmother’s care are the best equipped to provide information about her condition and what to expect in the days ahead. In the condition she is currently in, by your description, she is not appropriate for assisted living. There are other options, though, so don’t be discouraged. Your mom and grandfather have a lot to consider and discuss.

Hugs to you, and hopes that your family gets the guidance they need.
(1)

Do your grandparents live with you and your mother? How many hours is the caregiver there? Who are the relatives who provide care? Is it just your mother and your grandfather?
(0)

You can Google 'life with a feeding tube' or any other questions you have and get lots of information that way.

If care becomes too burdensome at home, your grandmother would have to go into a Skilled Nursing Facility as no Assisted Living communities would accept a resident in her condition; it's WAY more than they're willing to deal with.

Best of luck
(0)

IMO your grandmother wasn't getting the support she needed before this, there is no way that she should be returning home now.
Who will be managing her incontinence?
Who would take charge of her feeding tube?
(3)

cwillie
She came home from the hospital last Wednesday so she’s no longer there. Right now, it’s a combination of my family members and the in home care provider that will handle everything and so far there hasn’t been any issues
(0)

CTTN55, My grandmother and grandfather live 5 minutes away so it’s easy for us to get to the house. To answer your question about the care, I think the caregiver is only there (morning and I think now at night) for an hour but I’m not there when this person is there, I’m only there when my mother changes her (we don’t have a schedule yet for what relative gets to take care of her but so far it’s been my mother and my aunt on separate nights)
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter