Follow

He had been taken to a rehab from the hospital to try to regain some strength. Of course the rehab has a 14 day quarantine.. so as best we can tell he was pretty much isolated in his room since arrival, eating his meals in his bed, etc. He was a bit hard to understand due to shortness of breath. Had been having arm pain (they did Xrays, not broken, but swollen) I spoke to him 2 days ago, he sounded pretty confused, but how much was his hearing? My hubs and I were talking last night before bed.. I was planning to call there Sat when I was off work and my hubs (Joint POA) was available, to try to get some answers. My BIL, who he lived with also told my hubs he was having trouble getting any real information from the rehab. I had a feeling he was not bouncing back from this.. So last night at 1.30 am we got the call from BIL. Dad had called him earlier, said he felt bad and was having trouble breathing. BIL called the rehab,, they called back and said his sat was 95 and "he felt better". At 12,30 they called to say he passed. So at 1.30 I didn;t make the phone in time, but rushed down to the message.. then had to go wake up hubs and have him call his brother. What a terrible night.. I know you all understand. I waited until this am to call my DD. So today in hindsight I realize he had classic blood clot symptoms.. And like another poster here recently I have to wonder if his age factored in to the not diagnosing a blood clot, and as he was 97.. not as urgent as a younger resident? Water under the bridge I suppose. He passed on the same day his wife did 2 years ago, we take comfort in that, and that he is no longer in pain. Funeral planned, as best it can be in the new COVID world.. some family issues with that, but you have all heard my dysfuntional family stories before.. We are just letting play out,, its for Dad not us. Hubs did request the military taps and flag at the cemetary and they are happy to do that. Just keep us in your thoughts and prayers

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
So very sorry for your loss Pammzi.
My sincere condolences for you and your family.

You are so right, it is for Dad, not us. To honor his life, in the ways he lived.
(2)

We're never prepared no matter how old they are, but he lived to a fine old age. I'm sorry for your loss.
(3)

Very sorry for your loss. It sounds as though he had a full life. My late MIL passed away 39 years to the day after losing my husband's father prematurely. I hope you can do your best despite the Covid restrictions.
(2)

How sweet that he passed on the same day as his wife did 2 years ago. That sounds like a God thing for sure.
Please don't let any of your dysfunctional family try and spoil the proper funeral that your FIL deserves.
I am sorry for your family's loss. May God bless you and comfort you in the days ahead.
(2)

I am so sorry for your loss. He had so much love and support.
(2)

I’m so sorry Pam. I understand this one, it’s similar to how my FIL passed last year only it was my BIL who got the call and had to call everyone. We figured it would happen but it wasn’t expect at the same time. So your FIL passed on the 2 year anniversary of his wife’s death. They must have been ready to be together again. He’s at peace :)
(4)

I’m so sorry to hear this. My condolences to you and your family.
(2)

I am so sorry for the loss of your FIL. You and your family will be in my prayers. (((hugs)))
(1)

Pam
So sorry for the loss of your FIL. Wishing you and your DH peace and comfort.
Hugs to you both
(1)

((((((hugs))))) and prayers, Pam. Such a difficult time. Hope the arrangements go as smoothly as possible and without any extra drama. As you know the "what ifs" don't help at these times. Thinking of you and your hubs and family. Keep us updated.
(1)

Aw, Pam, so sorry to hear this sad news. ((((Hugs))))). B
(2)

So sorry to hear. Wishing peace for all...
(2)

May you be deeply comforted by memories of your time together. Peace to you...
(2)

Condolences to you and your family, Pam. Many (((hugs))).
(3)

Pam I, great big warm hug!

I am sorry for your families loss.

I pray that The Lord gives you all grieving mercies and comfort during this difficult time
(2)

Pam, I'm so sorry for your loss.  Given the potential for clots and the aftermaths, I'm glad he didn't suffer through that.    And I think there's some consideration for forces which we'll probably never understand in that he passed 2 years after his wife.    I hope your family finds peace in that he's no longer suffering.
(2)

The funeral is tomorrow, and Hubs has decided that it's his Dad too so we invited 2 of our best friends to attend. I do know some of his friends from the river house area plan to attend as well. And DD has gotten food poisoning.. I hate to ask what next... And BIL has been cleaning out Dads stuff already.. trying to get hubs to take stuff we don;t want or need. I currently have a bunch of old wall type pictures in my sunroom... And after telling my hubs about the old china that cant be in the microwave or dishwasher, ,says no one wants that crap.. "Do we?" WTH?? I'm beyond over this week
(1)

Big((((((((hugs)))))) Pam. "No" is a complete sentence. I understand. Mother tended to treat me like a trash can - dump all the garbage on me. Hope DD gets better soon. Take care of yourself.
(1)

The funeral went very well, with a fair turnout of family and some friends.( More than my SIL was expectiing I am sure) DD was able to come, still some tummy issues but she made it! At least the weather was beautiful for Nov, unlike when we buried my MIL. The Taps service made me tear up. After the service my family and friends went to Cracker Barrel.. seemed like most likely place to let us sit together, and they were very helpfull in getting the 7 of us together. So all in all a good day for that all. I am taking the rest of the week off,, I have plenty of PTO and my friends are trying to jump start me out of the funk I have fallen into this week. So they are dragging me out to cheer me up. I think once the election crap is over I will perk back up. I was really stressing about going into the city right after the election,, I expect riots no matter who wins...
(6)

((((((Pam))))) glad it went well and DD made it. It is wise of you to take some time off. I find sometimes I am tired even if I don't feel it and a little while of just relaxing and taking care of myself perks me up. Hope you are feeling better soon.
(1)

Pamzimm, don't worry too much about the election. We will have drama, as you said, no matter who. Hey, it is what we DO. It will simmer down.
I am glad to hear Service went so well.Keeping you in heart and thought.
(2)

pamzimmrrt, I just saw this posting today. My heartfelt sympathy to you and your family. My gosh 97 years old, he saw a lot during this life time :)
(3)

Just seeing this post today myself. Sending you a big hug & my deepest condolences for your loss, Pam. So 'coincidental' that your FIL passed on the same day as his wife did! Now they're both dancing together & kicking up a fuss on the other side, free of pain & worry. Lovely thought, isn't it?
(2)

Very best wishes to you all, love, Margaret
(1)

I am so sorry for your loss. This is a difficult time for your family especially since he was in rehab. I hope his journey home was a peaceful one. He had a loving family that did all you could. Celebrate the wonderful memories.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter