Follow

I'm new here and would like some support. My dad was finally diagnosed with Alzheimers last year. He was put on Aricept (sp?) He has forgotten how to tie his tie. He used to be into amateur radio and no longer does that. My brother mentionned to me the other day that he thinks my dad can't figure out the computer any more. Let me explain that I am almost 1000 miles away from my parents. My brother and his wife life 15 minutes from my parents. They had been going over to visit once a month. I called my sister-in-law and asked if they would stop in and check on them a bit more often. My parents just celebrated their 62nd wedding anniversary. I was shocked this past Christmas to see the decline in my dad. He's lost so much weight. He keeps saying he doesn't eat as much as he used to. He'd dropped at least 40 lbs. Mom tries to get him to eat. When my brother and sister-in-law took him out for their anniversary, all my dad would eat was some bread and 2 crab cakes. My mother refuses to get any help from outside sources. Dad still knows who everyone is. The doctor has told him not to drive but mom lets him drive them to church, the grocery store and maybe to my brothers. I feel my mom is not telling me as much as I need to know. It's tearing me up literally. My parents are on a very limited income. What can I do from this end? What won't rattle my mother up? Being the primary giver and not a patient person, it's hard on her. I can't be there to help out. I call home at least 3 times a week and talk to them on Sundays. I tried talking with mom about my going on the internet and getting dad out to play cards at the senior citizen center and I just got my head chewed off. I really need some input.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter