Follow

My Dad who is in memory care with my mom was on palliative care for a non operative intestinal blockage. He came back to the memory care Monday after spending a couple of days in the hospital to attempt to get the blockage to clear without surgery.

He had been with no food or water for about 9 days. My mom slept next to him in their room in memory care during this time. At about 3:30 she woke and asked the hospice nurse if he was ok.. she held his hand and a few minutes later took a few breaths.. then no breaths and he passed. It was the best possible scenario.. just the two of them and the hospice nurse.

I have another thread about the siblings and all the hell they put me through during the last week.. giving me a hard time for putting them on hospice..banding together and shutting me out.. and basically in some ways blaming me for his death.. blaming me for taking them back to the memory care for palliative care.

My mom was able to stay with my Dad the entire time.. of course it was so hard.. just didn't understand why he couldn't have water, kept forgetting what was going on or that he was even sick, wanted to bring him food.

This morning after he passed was so difficult to watch.. It was heartbreaking. Even worse.. she kept forgetting that he had passed.. all day she kept asking where her husband was..when I told her he passed .. she went through it all over again as if hearing it for the first time.

We rearranged her room..it was so sad to see her room without his bed. I hope she finds some way of going on without him.

I am happy for my Dad to be free of dementia and a failing body...now he is free and healthy...Fly away my sweet father... I love you and will miss you so much.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
KatieKay, my heartfelt sympathy to you and your family.
(4)

KatieKay, so sorry for you and your mom. Sending many hugs.
(3)

Sorry for your loss.

I wouldn't continue telling Mom Dad has passed. She will just keep grieving. Tell her little fibs. He is at an appt. Etc. Eventually she will forget she was even married.

I really don't think Dad could have eaten. One because of the blockage the other his system shut down. Food is not absorbed anymore and would only have called maybe discomfort or even pain.
(7)

KatieKay, so sorry for your loss. Sounds like a very peaceful passing. Hugs to you.
(3)

((((((hugs))))) katie. Deepest condolences on your loss. So glad your mum and dad were together, and that dad passed peacefully. I agree that your mum cannot absorb and keep the memory that your dad has passed. I too think in time she will forget. It may be kindest just to distract her. Rearranging her room was a great idea.

Prayers that your sibs don't cause any more trouble. You have had more than enough from them.
(5)

Unfortunately they have already started on phaseII of causing me more stress. My Dad is bfeing cremated and they want to spread his ashes at my parent's lakehouse.

I moved them out off there 5 years ago and it was a nightmare. The house has basically been vacant all this time with me checking in on it occasionally. tonight.. after a very disorienting day for mom.. all 3. of them were bringing up the lakehouse,asking if she wants to go back there.. showing her pictures.. getting her stirred up.

I'm not sure the scheme.. but I shiver at the thought of bringing up the house and finding more things that I didn't handle correctly. I can't imagine what she will be like if you took her 90 miles away...when I took her 10 miles away to see my Dad at the hospital and it was like sending her to Mars.

They just dont get it.
(6)

KatieKay, know that you've done exactly what your dad wanted you to. ((((Hugs))))).
(7)

katiek I am so sorry about your sibs. I have had to keep very low contact wit my sis. No, they don't get it. Right after mother passed in December sis got on my back about making arrangements for the funeral down east next fall. She had no understanding that I was swamped with things that needed to be done after mother passed. It was all about what she wanted and what was convenient for her. There are many such examples. My sis stirred up my mother all my life and I ended up with the trouble. I understand. Stay away from the toxics as much as possible and stand your ground, They don't have a clue and they don't care about others.
(5)

Katie, I am so very sorry for your loss. I know it is difficult. May God bless you with the strength and courage you will need to get through this time. As well as your dear Momma.
(4)

KatieKay, I’m sorry for your loss. You did everything in his best interests.
(3)

KateyKay, I’m so sorry for the loss of your father and praying for you strength, endurance, and consolation in the days ahead.
(4)

I am sorry for your loss, but your attitude is inspiring.

Hugs to you and mom and may God give you grieving mercies and comfort during this time.
(5)

I am so sorry for your loss but like you, glad your dad has flown away home.
Try to rest. Hugs for you and mom
(3)

I am glad he is at peace now. So sad that your sisters out you through hell these last weeks.

Hugs
(3)

I agree- u r inspiring:) and if everyone had a daughter like u they'd never have to worry! I read where u stated "finding more things I didn't do correctly", it sounds to me that u have done a very good job taking care of ur parents! Don't be hard on yourself:) I'm so very sorry for your loss Katie. But I think it's beautiful that ur dad passed with ur mom beside him.
(3)

Katiekay. I am so sorry for your loss. You did great!
(4)

Katiekay,
My deepest condolences on the passing of your Father.
Hugs to you and best of luck.
(3)

Katiekay - I am so sorry for your loss and the trouble your siblings are causing you. I can hear and feel the hurt and sorrow in your words. It is heart breaking to watch your mom missing and asking for her life partner. I am so sorry.
(3)

KatieKay ... my thoughts are with you and your mom.
(3)

Katiekay, I am so sorry for your loss, you are an inspiration to other caregivers on this site on how to do everything right. The fact that your Mom was there with your Dad at his passing is how it is supposed to be in a wonderful lifelong marriage, I pray that I am so fortunate.

Your sisters stirring up such painful memories on this day is so sad and painful for you, it's not like you didn't have enough to deal with on such a sad day, and to dredge these things up just shows that they have troubling intentions, so be very careful there, you may need to pull in reinforcements from your husband or other members of your family. It just is not right to put you or your Mom through this, that's just nasty and cruel.

You (as POA of your Mom) might even need to ban them from seeing her for a time, if they don't quit acting up in this manner, do talk with the MC administration to see how they might assist you on this.

I hope things settle down in the coming days so you can get some rest, and be there for your Mom. Take Care of yourself. HUGS!
(4)

My deepest condolences to you on the loss of your beloved dad.
(2)

Oh, Katie

Your love for your father made me cry. Your words are so touching both for your mom and dad. You are a wonderful daughter. Never forget that. No matter what your siblings feel or said or say, you know the truth and that is what is most important.

To say, I am sorry for your loss seems sort of strange in some ways when a person is suffering so much like your dad. I know you are grieving. as well as your mom.

It’s difficult to know what to say when it is clearly time for someone to leave this earthly world and move on to their pain free, joyful heavenly world. I feel like you do. It was your father’s time to leave this world. I am glad you that you don’t question your decision that was necessary in these circumstances.

I wanted my father to be free of his suffering before he died. It is painful for us to watch our loved ones suffering and wanting them to die is not the same as wishing them dead or anything like that.

It would be nice if everyone could die like my grandma who just dropped dead without suffering, her heart simply stopped. It’s a blessing when there is no suffering.

I believe when there is great suffering, at that point in pain that the person’s soul has already started on it’s journey and they are not in as much pain as we think they are in. At least that is what people have said in near death experiences.

A lot of people suffer before they die. Who knows why we do?

Jesus suffered miserably on the cross before he died and he was completely innocent and had nothing but love in his heart for all of us. If he suffered, I guess at some point we have to recognize that many of us will have our own cross to bear. It was hard for him and those who loved him and it is hard for us.

I Suppose Jesus is especially on my mind because we are in the midst of celebrating Easter. Jesus rose from the dead and so will your father. He has gone to his eternal life, just like Christ did.

I am a believer but not in a ‘preachy’ way. I hope I am not offending you if you aren’t Christian. It doesn’t matter if you aren’t. I totally respect all faiths and I respect people that are not believers as well or unsure, agnostics.

God lovingly answered my grandma’s prayers. She asked for a peaceful death after watching my grandpa suffer horribly before he died.

You are grieving. That is normal and everyone understands that. Your father loved you. He still does, he lives in your heart and wants you to be at peace. I am sure that you and your mom have beautiful memories of him that you cherish.

Take care. Many, many hugs for you and your mom.
(2)

Agree. I was just thinking the same have security remove them and place a no visitors on your mother until they are gone. Hyenas
(3)

I am sorry for your loss, and hope you find comfort in giving him the best possible experience passing.
As for your mother, I am not sure why she needs to be told her husband has died. There is no upside to it since she will not remember it, and the downside will be her repeated grief. If it were me, I would just tell her he went to work or to the store...
Best wishes!
Rita
(3)

you miss him , you start talking to him. He will listen. Tell him Thank you for the life your parents gave you. Ask him for a sign. Best scenario, they were together.

AS far as mom is concerned. It will be the ongoing tape loop. Where is dad? Oh Mom, we do love dad, don't we? He is a wonderful guy. Let's look at vacation pictures together. DAd really liked him morning walk (whatever it is),and try doing it with her.

Mom, it is ok, we all miss him. Let say hello to him now, and tell him how much we love him. Then let's go gt lunch

Keep a close eye on mom. please. She needs you knowmore than ever.
(4)

I am so sorry for your loss. You made the right decision with your dad's care. And you are right your dad is now free...no more pain...no more failing body...just love & peace.

Like someone said, "you can talk to your dad whenever you need to and he will give you a sign."

Hugs!!
(4)

Sorry for the loss of your dad, and having this sad situation with your mom. Sometimes I've seen people in these threads give advice to say little white lies when those with dementia ask about deceased loved ones, whatever makes it easier on everyone.

Good wishes for strength and peace to get through the days ahead as you tend to final arrangements.
(3)

Katiekay, I’m so sorry at your Dads passing. You were and are a devoted daughter, dealing lovingly with their struggles while trying to fend off the twisted sisters. Just remember nothing has to be decided right now. It sometimes feels like everything has to be decided or accomplishes Right Now but that’s not true. Ashes keep. Be kind to yourself. I wouldn’t make any decisions until you’re emotionally ready. You can get the ashes back or tell the funeral home to keep them until you’re ready. My mom passed last Monday, but I’m not going to do anything with the ashes until the weather is better here. That also will give me time to perfect my plan. If you do eventually decide to sprinkle them at the lake house, it may give you time to make a trip there and maybe get it more presentable or hire a service to do it, if that would take some pressure off you. Your Mom does not have to make a trip out there Right Now! There is no rush. Keep telling everyone that. Be kind to yourself.
(3)

You have my deepest sympathy, Katiekay. May your dad's memory be a blessing to you. Peace.
(3)

Update...

My siblings are on the way to the lakehouse now.. with my mom. They were bound and determine to do it and I just dont have the fight in me to fight this battle.. They said ...even the hospice nurse said she needs to get out of the facility and see different sights.. Well...yea.. how about a 20 minute drive and stop for an ice cream in the park... instead of a 90 mile drive. (180 and all) that begins at 1:30 in the afternoon.

They are going to take her to the lakehouse..site unseen.. they haven't been there in 5 years... so I need to get ready for the list of all the stuff that wasn't done that should be done.

Also mom was very agitated last night... I'm sure losing dad .. and all the aggressive talk of the lake house right before bed did not help. She didn't sleep last night.. so I can only imagine what tonight will bring.

Also.. I went in the car with my sister in law and she started defending my sibs actions and saying how left out they feel.. that I am just not keeping them up to date.. how are they supposed to trust me.. (and I think they are referring to $$$). so basically they want me to provide a detailed report of how money is spent to MIA sibs who dont even call and inquire about mom n dad, dont call, dont send cards , gifts, letters...or even texts... dont even ask whether my parents are alive or dead for years at a time.

I told her all this.. and she acted like it never even occurred to her before. I dont think they deserve any accounting of funds when they dont lift a finger to help me. She was presenting it as if it was my fault for not asking for help.. and not involving them...

There have been so many times when I have BEGGED for help.. all this just gets forgotten.. and in their minds.. THEY are the ones who are wronged.

Good thing I took something to calm me or I would have been beyond furious right now.
(6)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter