Follow

I have no siblings, and was living in Oklahoma when my dad passed in September last year. My aunt took my mom somewhere and refuses to tell anyone even the police what she did with her. I've now moved back to Memphis when she is from, but I have no money for an attorney or even a job at this point. My mother had no money, so I don't understand why my aunt is doing this. My mother had been incapacitated from a stroke since 2007. How can I find out if my aunt has POA, and if so how to challenge it. Please help I need to find my mother. Thank you so much.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3
Sometimes the Red Cross can help find people. You can ask them if this situation is something they could help you with. If your mom is incompetent from the stroke, she probably can't make you her POA now. When you find your mom your aunt had either show you her POA and explain what's going on, or you should call APS. What steps have you taken to find her? Have you sent mail to the old address with a request of notice of a changed address request? Ask at your post office how to do this. Have you checked with the former neighbors, doctors etc? Why would she be hiding your mom?
(3)

When you say the police won't help, do you mean that they won't accept a missing person report?
(1)

Thank you for your answers. I have asked Red Cross and the Memphis chapter said they do no find people, they provide disaster assistance. The police both county and city said they will not accept a missing persons report, but told me that she was admitted to a certain hospital and to just go there, fill out a next of kin foum and they would tell me where they released her to. I then went there and they told me they had no idea what officer I spoke to but they won't tell me anything without power of attorney. I showed my birth cirt, license and SS card, and said how can I get POA if I don't know where she is, I am her only child.. They still said they will not tell me. Her house I had a key to, and nothing was moved, power and water is off, and there was spoiled food in the fridge and cracked eggs still on the stove. As for the mail, I'm still going there and getting mail for her for medical bills, to collect bills occurred before my dad passed. And I don't know who any of her doctors are.
(1)

What is the reason your aunt refuses to tell anyone where your mom is? Does your aunt or your mom have mental issues? Is your aunt also in Memphis?
(0)

Is there anything I can file in court? If so what and to what court?
(0)

Tell us more. If you're getting mom's medical bills, her doc's names should be listed on them. Were your mom and sister close? Any other aunts/uncles/cousins you could contact? This just doesn't make sense based on what you've said so far.
(3)

Why did your aunt take your mum? how come you do not know your mums doctor? all seems strange?
(2)

I have no idea why my aunt is doing this. I haven't spoken to her in years but we used to always spend time together, but my dad used to tell me, son your moms side of the family is cold, never trust them , so I don't know. Yes my aunt is in Memphis but my mom lived in desoto county mississippi which touches Memphis Tennessee.
(0)

I don't know her doctors because I lived in Oklahoma, I dropped everything to move back here to find her. I my aunt has a daughter who won't speak to me at all either, but her husband will, however, the only thing that he will tell me is that this is not right, but she is being cared for, and my aunt just don't want me trying to get her out of wherever she is. Please, I know it seems strange because it is very strange, but I love my mom to death and I don't know where to turn.
(0)

This is awful surely the police can help? If your mum was ill maybe check out all the NHs and hospitals i know this is alot of work but if she has had strokes she may be in a home?
Also like another post asked is your aunt suffering from any mental illlness? this is a very very tough situation isnt there anyone from her family who may know what happened?
Your aunt must have told some lies about you if they wont give you info. I would try everything maybe radio OR churches?
(1)

Sorry, and the bills were for companies asking for the return of equipment, a breathing machine and an electric wheel chair, not from her doctors.
(1)

Would those equipment companies tell you what doctor prescribed those items, assuming they are for your mom, not dad? Is there a mortgage or property tax that is getting paid? Find out who or how those payments are being made. If your uncle knows where mom is why won't he tell you? Do you have any bad history towards others or your mom which makes others think she needs protection from you? What's the rest of this story?
(1)

We have no bad history at all. The mortgage hasn't been payed since September last year, I have already contacted them. The house is worth 95k, and only 28k is owed, but my aunt hasn't tryed at all to move in on it. My mom had no money in her bank, so ruling money out, this makes no sence. I called to company about the equipment and it was my moms, and they are going to call me this week to pick it up, and asked me to call them back once they have, so I could ask them about the doctors name then, thank you.
(0)

I'm going to guess that you have run off in the past. You didn't come home last September, your mother was hurt and felt abandoned. The family will keep you separated to keep it from happening again. They came when she need help and you stayed in OK. They wrote you off. It will take a long time to prove to them that you are not going to upset her again.
(2)

My cousins husband (not my uncle) said this is because my mom needs constant care and they are scared I'll take her out of care and let her go back home. Either way, the question now is simply how do I find her, she is sick, I already lost my dad, could I please get some help before I loose my mom too, please
(0)

Something just doesn't seem right here.

WHY won't the police accept a missing person's report? Your mother has vanished from her house apparently w/o a trace - that's a missing person. Try the state police as well.

Cracked eggs on the stove? This sounds more like an abduction. Your mother was living at home, right? Were she and your aunt on good terms? Was there any reason why your mother would willingly go with your aunt without telling you? I'm assuming your mother hasn't contacted you at all?

I don't know what court would have jurisdiction over a missing person until law enforcement have proof that someone did in fact take her against her will.

How do you do know that your aunt took your mother?

Are you sure the police aren't telling you because your mother doesn't want you to know? If they knew that she was in a specific hospital, they obviously had some information on her. It just doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't share that with you.

What about your uncle? Is he living with your aunt and have you gone to wherever that is?

When was the last time you had any contact with your mother?

I just keep thinking there's a lot more to this situation than meets the eye.
(1)

Yes its all very strange?
(0)

I was worried no one would help me, so I left out that I was in Oklahoma because I was in federal prison. I've been there since 2007. My mom loved me so much, I called every single day and all she ever said was I want my baby back. I just got here because I had no choice. When my dad died the only family I could call was my aunt, and she said your mom is fine but I'm not going to tell you where she is, and she's never spoken to me since. Jump to now, police said my mom called them a week after my dad died, and said please help me I can't be left alone, police said they then took her to hospital X, and they don't know where she went from there. But they can't accept a missing persons because she isn't really missing, she's just missing to me, she is in a nursing home. I aked how do you know, they said we just assume, but she's not "missing"
(1)

My sister has been living with my mother for over 26 year. She has refused to seek employment. I went to help care for mu mother after a fall she had. I have now been back in the family home for almost 9 months. I overheard her tell someone that she was going to get me out of the house because my mother won't die. I left the house to go to the store and when I returned she told me she found a blank check in my coat pocket. It was then that I put 2 and 2 together. The police had to be called because my sister took it upon herself to throw my belongings in the street. She then attacked me when I attempted to check on my mother. I am 64 years and walk with a crutch. She is 50 years old. On my than one occasion I have witnessed her strike my mother and which time I protected my mother. She has now removed all the keys from the doors of the house making it impossible to get out.. She forgot the internet is still on. She has removed all the phones so I can not call the police. What can I do?
(0)

Donovan... if you can post here you can email the police... What is this?
(0)

Memphis, you were gone a long time, and the family is afraid of you. All they remember is what you were like when you went away. You paid your time, but nobody is hanging yellow ribbons round the old oak tree. It's going to take a while to make them believe you have straightened up. Get a job, find a place to live, and find an AA or NA group that will help you sort out the way the family feels and how to deal with it. AA really helped my brother-in-law change his lifestyle and kept him from going back to jail. Get an AA sponsor who will be your lifeline when things look really bad. It can work for you too.
(4)

To the Original Poster here, ok you do not have a bad history with your mom. But you do have some type of bad history that would probably be off putting to relatives. I know someone sentenced to a number of years in a federal prison. I can't imagine getting a daily collect call from a child in prison. That seems weird. You've been calling her daily almost seven years from prison until she disappears? I can somewhat understand why the family wants distance between the two of you. Can you write to your mom c/o the cousin's husband? Also a letter to the family, just to let them know that you love mom and are concerned about her. Also it might be a good idea to explain how you are now proceeding to put your life together, post prison, on your own. I would imagine that they are concerned that mom might try to meet your needs to her detriment.
(2)

Understood, thank you. I've never used drugs a day in my life so I don't know about na or aa, but I'd be willing to try anything. And from federal prison I pay for the call, we have unicor which pays us 100 dollars a month, I never made them pay anything. I do appreciate all the advice, but my mom doesn't have much time left, she is sick and in early stages if dimenica. Legally what can I do. I don't see how she can do this, I am next of kin, not her. I posted in this section because I need to know what legal av I can take, I have no money for an attorney I just want to see my mother before she either dies or doesn't recognize me. Please
(1)

I doubt if you have any legal recourse. Try throwing yourself on the mercy of the family and make clean living for yourself. Maybe they will let you back in the family. Get some counseling to deal with it.
(2)

Have you contacted Adult Protective Services in Memphis to see if they have any assistance or sources that might help? As difficult as it is, getting your life in order would be the best thing possible to have contact with your Mom again.

There is no quick solution to this, just steady day after day research. If you have a picture of your Mother, post it on Facebook and contact the local media.

You have a place to stay, if the house is livable and now you must find a job and show you are serious about becoming a productive citizen. Best wishes in finding your Mom; I cannot fathom how stressful this must be for you.

Did your Dad have a Will? If it was probated that is public info. Contact your local legal aid society for assistance. They will at least be able to tell you if there is anything you can do at this point. If your Mom receives Social Security or any kind of pension benefits, etc.; they have to be going somewhere.
(3)

I guess I'm going to be the one to make what I'm sure is an unpleasant suggestion, and it's that perhaps your mother doesn't feel comfortable seeing you.

There's a reason why your mother left the home in such a hurry that food was left in the fridge and eggs on the table. Perhaps her sister was monitoring your status and learned of your release.

I agree with others - you're going to have to go straight, get a job, and prove yourself. If you were in prison from 2007 until this year, or even last year, that's a pretty significant sentence, either for a serious first offense or a repeat offense, or perhaps a capital offense. If either of the latter 2 options (and/or if the crime was against a person and not property), the family would understandably be leary of your presence in the family unit.

You've written that your mother is dying; how do you know? I still ask how you know that your aunt took your mother?

You might alternately suggest that you meet with your mother on neutral grounds, in a public place, so that either your aunt or your uncle can accompany her. That may give them some confidence that you and your mother won't be alone.
(4)

If you have witnessed abuse you can call Adult Protective Services.
(0)

That comment was to Donovan...Memphis, you are brave and honest to own up to what really happened, and I will hope and pray with you that Mom is getting good care somewhere, and that you can be reassured of that. And, that your family can see you as a daughter and not just an ex-convict that brought your mother grief, who could only bring her more grief. I can't imagine anything more comforting to your mother than to be able to know that her daughter was out of prison and on her way to a better life.
(1)

I would shake every tree, turn over every rock and knock on every door. Contact your state elder abuse hotline, the states attorney in your county, the state attorney general, the county health dept, (senior services) and go to every nursing home in the area. Call your aunt's bluff. Ask her to produce POA papers or you will call the police on her. Ask her neighbors. Attach yourself to her like a tick on a dog. You can do this. Find you mom.
(1)

I would like to extend a thank you to everyone for all of the help and suggestions. I just got back from dept of human services now, and waiting for them to call me back. However I just checked the mailbox, and she had bills from Humana for medicine dating to May of this year. Could this mean that she is not in a nursing home but in someone's home? If I call Humana what should I tell them if they don't want to tell me anything? Thank everyone again so much.
(0)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter