Follow

I have no siblings, and was living in Oklahoma when my dad passed in September last year. My aunt took my mom somewhere and refuses to tell anyone even the police what she did with her. I've now moved back to Memphis when she is from, but I have no money for an attorney or even a job at this point. My mother had no money, so I don't understand why my aunt is doing this. My mother had been incapacitated from a stroke since 2007. How can I find out if my aunt has POA, and if so how to challenge it. Please help I need to find my mother. Thank you so much.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
1 2 3
BTW, I don't feel like a fool because I just don't take it personal.
(0)

Agreed!! Lets do it!!
(0)

Agreed, Vstefans.
(1)

I can verify the part about Federal parole. My secretary's husband used to have a gun shop and was very unfortunately involved in selling a firearm that ended up in the hands of a convicted felon; none of us thought it was his fault or that he could have reasonably known, but it did not go as well as possible in court and he ended up with 2 years in the fed, no chance for reduction in that no matter what, though he was model prisoner and had good family and friends support.

I reallly like Sharynmarie's attitude - I too would rather be a fool helping a real troll on some rare occasion, as long as I didn't take some kind of bait and come out with an opinion they could totally use in some self-serving way. That actually happens on the only other board I'm at all active on, called Sermo; we get legal trolls trying to get people to write negative things that might help one or the other party in some court case (!) I would really, really like to see us be very very sparing about calling someone the "t" word from here on out.
(4)

I have been reading this thread and I certainly don't want to offend anyone...but if you are suspecting someone is a troll...why do you post on the thread? It just seems to me that if said op is a troll, you are giving them what they are looking for...attention and causing people to get their anger and anxiety levels up.

I used to get angry with new posters who started a thread...many of us, including myself jumped in giving suggestions, love and hugs. The op would never respond again. I decided I would pick and chose new postings from newcomers, if I do chose to post on a new thread and the op never responds to anyone or if they turn out to be a troll,....that is the chance I took in trying to help someone. I do not take it personal because 97% are legit and real
(4)

Memphis, ignore the insults. They thought I was a troll at first. Anybody with less than 100 answers is a troll. After a few thousand answers we get upgraded to idiot. LOL
(3)

Federal parole is still around, but not for felons after the law changed in 1987. Memphis is too young to know much about this or had experience with it. Many people on this forum have more years of life experience than Memphis and are familiar with the law the way it used to be. Most of us would have no reason to stay up to date on parole issues for federal felons.
(3)

Wishing your mom the best.
(1)

My roommate gave me his iPhone 4s, and he upgraded to iPhone 5s. He has me on his AT&T share plan. I'm sorry that I've made some of you to believe that this was a "troll" post. I only just found this place through google. I've never been here before, nor will I ever come back. I only wanted to find out where my mom was, that was all. I thought my aunt took her, but was hiding her, thus I was asking about legal challenges to her POA. Not so that I could try to get her to care for her, because I simply can't, but rather just so that I could see her and know that she is okay. When the police called me back yesterday I found out none of this was the case, and my cousin had placed her into two homes, etc, I've already told the story. Some people here were helpful, and for that I am greatful. Some people here, such as thinking the Feds still have parole, have no idea what they are talking about, and those people are indeed the trolls. I wish everyone here the best. Pero, ya me voy.
(0)

Bookluvr, I too recall another post which is similar to Memphis style - different scenario, similar issues in style, attitude toward women, escape hatch, change of direction... I think that post was a troll as well; in fact I think it was Memphis with a different screen name.

There are just too many holes in Memphis' story to be real. His last post once again reflects another inconsistency.
(2)

Thank you so much, and I agree completely.
My goal was to make sure she was okay, and now that I know that she is, I know that I can just step back and take your advice. Again, thank you so much.
(1)

Well, I know of a poster, similar like Memphis, who came on here AC asking the exact same thing like him. She started her own thread- like Memphis. She was hopping on all the other threads asking over and over how can she find her mother. Her family had volunteered her to be their mom's fulltime caregiver. She also had her own disability. She kept asking for help with her siblings. Nothing. Then she crashed - healthwise. When she came back home, her mom was gone. Everyone in the family knew what happened but no one was talking. But this poster did not tell us all this. I only know about it because I took the time to post back and forth with her via our Wall.

Like Memphis, she only gave the bare facts. Her mom is gone, her brother took her. How can we help her find her mom. Every where I read here on AC, some people tried to offer advice. Others just completely ignored it. I just felt soooo bad for her because it was months with her posting over and over. I kept encouraging to keep looking but inside, I knew that she would never find her mother - unless a family member was willing to tattle.

Do you know why her siblings finally approached her? They had put their mom in a NH and her mom was nonstop asking for her fulltime caregiving daughter - whom she became very closed to all those years. She kept crying for her daughter. Not once, did I ever doubt or thought she was a troll. I just felt sooo bad for her.

Memphis, I'm glad you found your mother. Is your mom on medication that will help control her high emotional outbursts? Since you're not able to care for her at the moment, then maybe it's best to back off. Find a decent job, get your feet back on the ground. Ask your cousin and the Home to keep you updated on your mom while you try to get back on track. Because if your worse fears come true, and she acts up, and they kick her out - you both will have no money to support yourselves. Your mom needs 24/7 care - which you don't have the funds to cover it. Then she's worse off outside than inside the home. No one can make this decision but you.
(3)

Sorry you have me so mad I can't even htypr straight.
(0)

Fed cure. Sorry. Look it up for yourself. I spent years in this, I fink I know what's up, zero parole,
Again..... Look it up, thT died in the 80s
(0)

No parole in the Feds idiots you all know noting look up fedcure idiotots
(0)

Number one garden art or whatever you are you are sick, are you serious? You really think I thought this out?
You will get what you have got coming. Few flyer, you mean to tell me you know more about the Feds than me???????? Feds did away with parole in the 80's, period. Look up fedcure stupid. The fight aginist this has been going in for years. Thank you to all that helped, **** you to all that made up something to pretend to look good. And yeah say something else and make yourself look even more like a fool....
(0)

FreqFlyer, good catch.

One would think that someone who spent apparently 7 years or so in the federal prison system would know that parole options are available.

I'm wondering what other parts of Memphis' story are false, or conversely, are there any parts that are true or is this just a whole made up story?

Maybe he's actually a new identity of a previous troll, coming back to play games because he's been dissed before.
(0)

Memphis, please note that the Federal government does have *parole*. http://www.justice.gov/uspc/faqs.html
(1)

Game over. Memphis conveniently found his mother, thanks us all and probably won't be back under this identity.

Kazzaa and FreqFlyer, I did the same kind of search. I think this is just one variation on a theme. I'm sure Memphis had his story worked out before he posted. And what a convenient exit he had!

It wouldn't surprise me if his mother is healthy and well, or even if she's already passed away.
(1)

Memphis, go there, but talk to the nurses first about how to approach her. She won't believe her eyes at first. Don't stay too long, don't wear her out. Have a good cry with her and tell her when you will be back.
(2)

I found her through the police, like I said I didn't even know the cousin, but I talked to both her and her husband and they are being very supportive. I cannot care for her, I know that. I'm going through a lot of thoughts now, but no one has POA. Thank you all so so very much, you just don't know how much I think you all
(1)

Well funny i was just trying to think would it actually be possible to just take someone and disappear like this? i just imagine my aunt talking mum somewhere and me not knowing? i dont know its a little too strange and surely the police can do something. I think theres more to memphis than shes telling us?
(1)

GardenArtist and Kazzaa, last night I took some of the plot lines that Memphis had used and started a search on the Internet.... thought maybe it was picked up via a Lifetime Movie, but the search came up empty at the moment.

If this was a personal story, it really makes me appreciate my family even more.
(1)

Well said aritist thought this post smelt a bit!
(2)

You have no money yet you have a smartphone with autocorrect for texting capability?

This is beginning to sound more and more like a troll post.

Start with a compelling story, get sympathy, gradually reveal a criminal past, which might be sympathetic if folks believed you've reformed, plea for help finding your mother (who can resist a good sob story??), then change the direction entirely by suddenly announcing she's found. And that post has some inconsistencies as well.

If you aren't a troll, you still need to get a job and begin paying back all the people whose accounts you hacked. You have that obligation, morally and ethically.

You're in no position to care for your mother.

Initially you wanted to legally challenge whoever may have had a POA, now you're saying you have no way to care for her. So why would you need a POA?

And yet you still want advice.
(2)

No you wouldn't have to take her out, even if she wants to go with you. And you shouldn't. She should be medicated enough to handle in a home. Does this mean a nursing home or some small family home caring for just a few people? How about another talk with the cousin about what are your moms conditions, how she's being treated and come up with a mutual plan for mom. Is your mom at all competent or is she pretty far gone into dementia or another issue? Are you okay knowing how she is or do you need to see her? Now that you've found her you have the same problem that many other posters here have...how to see to it that their loved one has the care they need when they cannot provide that themselves. If mom is okay for now how about you get settled (maybe in the empty family home?) get an income and a life. Work with your cousin and someone who handles elder care issues to work out an ongoing plan. Since mom can't live with you now, or you'll never have a chance to establish yourself, she's going to have to adapt to that...medicated or not. It's hard on you, but it's hard on all the caretakers here who can't fix everything for their family. Put on your oxygen mask first, then see what you can do for her. How did actually find her? Wad your perseverance with the cousin?
(2)

Sorry, my phone changes words and spelling on me sometimes, I apologize for my grammar.
(0)

Thank everyone so much for your help. I green artist, I am I very different person then that I was when I was a 21 year old kid. Anyway, I do understand. Irregardless I found her. Turns out my aunt abandoned her. My cousin, whom I really don't know then steped in and had her placed in a home. She went so crazy there that they called my cousin and said you have to come get her. She went though he'll trying to find a place for her after that. The reason they haven't told me where she is is because if she she's me then she will most likely go crazy again wanting me to take her home. If that happens then most likely she will get kicked from that home as well, and by no one having POA, and me being out now, I would have to be the one to come get her, with no way once so ever to care for her. So now, what do I do, do I go see her?
(0)

Memphis, please realize you are not a viable candidate for Guardianship. So sorry, your mom is likely in a nursing home under Medicaid. The house probably has a Medicaid lien on the property, you should know how to check that through county records.
(1)

Humana won't even talk to you due to HIPAA laws, sorry. Both the DHS and the officer you spoke with will find mom. They will also talk to the POA, which I assume is your aunt. You already know her bank accounts are empty and she left the house suddenly. You can tell from the medications on the Humana bill what her conditions are. If you can't list them here and we will decipher if we can.
If you are on parole in OK but your body is in TN, you might want to get back to OK before your parole officer finds out you left the state. Just saying.
(1)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter