Follow

My hubby won’t wear his false teeth. He looks like a 90 yr old. He constantly moves them around while he’s talking. He says they don’t hurt but refuses to glue them in with the adhesive. It’s so disgusting I refuse to talk to him when he’s sticking them in and out of his mouth. Grrrrr...

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
This is a good idea Lilicalani had. Dental implants are the way to go. But of course not cheap and he can’t smoke, be diabetic and must take scrupulous care of them so they don’t fail. So there are stipulations. Does he have dementia? You didn’t say.
(2)

Wonder if he's a candidate for dental implants? Maybe he could have a few dental implants, just enough to anchor a set of partial dentures. Partials are less irritating than full dentures, for some folk.
(2)

besticanbe, Oh my, too funny!
(2)

Here's a little 'ditty' to cheer you all up:

When I was nursing In England, I told a trainee nurse to brush everybody's dentures. She went round the (ward) unit, collected them up in a bowl, brushed them all then couldn't remember which patients they belonged to!!!
(9)

His mouth. His teeth. You’ve set your boundary: you won’t look at him while he’s playing with his dentures. As Elsa suggested, let it go. Ps—dental phobia is a significant issue for many people, just like all phobias.
(3)

My mom once accused people of stealing her bridge. With her, Alzheimer's was accompanied by paranoia. I tried to reason with her, that no one would want her bridge, but it did no good. Do you know where it was? In her mouth!
(2)

Sounds like they no longer fit! He shouldn’t be easily able to do that if they were a proper fit?
That would drive me nuts, too!  Can you “misplace” them and try for new ones?  I know they’re not cheap.  Sanity in caregiving is worth the expense if you can handle it financially.  
(2)

Having worked in dentistry for over 35 years, a good fitting set of dentures should not be moving around. My dad who has had dentures since he was in his 30’s still wears his and he has hardly any mandibular bone ridge to support the lower denture. But he doesn’t go moving it around like your hubby.
My guess is he has developed a nervous habit and it’s now a "thing" to him. But if he’s not wearing them that will affect their eventual ability to fit him. He needs to wear them or he will have issues keeping them in or having them hurt. What is his response when you ask him why he doesn’t want to wear them??
(4)

If he doesn't want to wear them then you need to pick your poison, either let him go without or put up with him playing around with them. (Personally I'd pick option #1).
(3)

It could always be worse..
(2)

Well fitted dentures don't require adhesives. They pop in and stay. I have an acquaintance who is my age (61) and she simply neglected her teeth to the point they were rotting out of her mouth. It was just disgusting, and it's not like she was living in poverty--she just hated the dentist and never went, nor did she ever brush her teeth. Now she has full dentures, they look awful and she takes them out when she eats and I seem to always be the one who is sitting across from her. Gross. She looks 90, easily. Very sad, our teeth will age us more than any other physical thing--except maybe heaving smoking &/or drinking.

Have dh's dentures checked for fit. Appeal to his sense of pride (if he has one) and maybe even surreptitiously take a pic of him with them hanging half out of his mouth. My FIL wore full dentures but I did not know it until after his death and I was called to come pick up his "new ones". He was a little vain, and kept up appearances.

And my chasing down my hubby with his teeth whitening trays makes me feel a little better after reading your problem! I'd choose that over clacking dentures!
(7)

I worked in a dental office that made dentures.
Unfortunately as we age the mouth tends to shrink. It sounds like he's enjoying the floppy teeth. Obviously, when were that age, most of us are going to tend to ignore the spouses wishes.
I haven't asked, is he sick? That to will be a added issue.
(4)

Oh *dear*. I do feel for you. Dealing with my mother's partial denture was the aspect of caregiving I found most stomach-turning. Which is odd when you consider that for the last months of her life she was hemiplegic and in a diaper and there were commodes involved too... But it was just something about the saliva, and the fact - I suppose - that you can't really avert your eyes... As I say, I feel for you.

Are your husband's false teeth something new, that he has yet to get used to? Is this a lower set, which I gather can be terribly difficult to get to fit well?
(8)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter