Follow

Went to see mums shrink today (first time shes been seen by a so called shrink) when we got in there was a trainee shrink and a mental health nurse?

anyway mum put on her oscar winning performance! the young doc asked about her meds i told him she was on aricept but i had to take her off it as she was sick. He asked mum WHY was she taking this?? I said "excuse me" why would anyone be given aricept?
He then asked mum the usual questions "do you want to die?" "do you want to hurt anyone else?"
He then asked to speak to me alone said he didnt think she was showing any signs of dementia and seemed quite sharp soooooooooo i lost it i am still shaking..........i told him everything her hygiene,burning stuff on pan,leaving doors open at night. Obsessing,clutter, not getting dressed,sleeping all day,not taking her meds,eating crap,not excercising etc.............
He said he would speak to the head shrink or whatever and we had to wait an hour then she called me in and asked me my concerns i told her "oh i dont know shes got dementia is not safe alone and i cant do this for much longer alone".
Then she said im not seeing any signs of dementia but then that would be a matter for the geriatrician????????????????
Im sorry am i "NUTS" arnt shrinks supposed to determine whether or not someone is "MAD"?

She ended by saying that your mum seems very well dressed and articulate but we will take what you say into consideration. I told her to call up to the house tom.but be careful you dont get hit on the head by a flying colostomy bag!

I am beginning to think im a "NUTTER" maybe i need to be assessed?

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Kazzaa, you're welcome. Good luck to you.
(0)

yes pam mum kept asking me to respond to HER questions? anywhoo this is an old post like ive said i dont care anymore im waiting for something to happen as it will and these pros dont care as long as shes looked after if i cant cope then its a home and thats the way it is here!
(0)

It's better if you are not there for the questions. Mom kept looking at me for answers and I would not answer for her. Then he had her do the "clock face test" and she could NOT get the hands in the right place. She said Lincoln was the President, and the previous 3 Presidents were Clinton and Truman.
(0)

MM dont know what youre on but you didnt read my post very well im not looking for any diagnosis and your advice is crap and unsupportive. GREAT you have help to care for whoever alot of us havnt. this is just another stupid im coping with this so why arnt you type shit.
Great youre coping so cope and stop trying to give stupid advice to people makes my blood boil when we get these dogoodies giving this bs advice.

GREAT advice MM why dont we all on here just back off and run away you idiot.
Dont know where your crap comes from i was agreeing with your post but you obvioulsy you didnt read it right?

We are here for support and if you find my posts aggressive then TS arnt you just so damn great for coping with your mum what a great person you are and what a CRAP daughter i am.

seems its all tickity boo with you so why are you on here?

Id wish you well but you seem to be coping?
(0)

Kazzaa, just by your posts in this thread, I can tell you are beyond stressed and into aggression mode. Stop. Now, I'm assuming you love your mom very much; and also assuming you don't show this aggressive attitude toward her. I noticed in myself (just the other day) what I see in you right now. I'm exceedingly patient with mom, but everybody else?? Stay outa' my way.

Why is it so important to you that they diagnose her with dementia? What difference does it make? If your family is not willing to spent money on her because you're there with her, what good is a mild dementia diagnosis? I'll tell you. It's worthless.

Why are you taking care of your mom? If you aren't doing it as your gift to her, then you should back off and let the family make other arrangements. If you are so overloaded by her care? Same thing.

My mom is pretty helpless. Like a child. I can have intelligent conversations with her even though she has dementia. But she's likely to wish me Happy Easter before the day's out. Ha! The reason I mention this is because I COULD NOT!! take care of my mom without Tom's help. He's my overload switch. If you are caretaking your mom alone, it's no wonder you are overwhelmed.

You sound overwhelmed. You come across overwhelmed. *shrug* Nobody's going to change that unless you do, Kazzaa. Demand help or back off and let the family step up big time.

I wish you well.
(0)

maggiemarshall youre right i knew mum had dementia before i got the docs involved i dont think it matters as im the one here looking after her and i know shes "nuts"! until it becomes more obvious to everyone else im banging my head off a brick wall so its the waiting game? i guess i was just shocked at the shrinks diagnosis do you know it wasnt even written on her files that she had dementia and when the younger shrink asked my mum WHY? was she put on aricept i flipped what idiots are these? i told him she was given it for a bad headache you asshole! i think its scary that these so called shrinks cant see things they are supposed to see? the younger guy tried to say that she only seems aggressive towards ME? like its me whose making her aggressive? yes ive learnt to let it all go mum will decline and then its family who decide her fate not these docs and as long as im here looking after her they will not send in help they are cutting back here on health as no money so best to ignore me and let me get on with it even though ive had a TIA from the stress of this?
(0)

My mom has vascular dementia. Before her stroke in 2013, she was diagnosed with "mild cognitive decline" after a battery of tests that lasted approximately 4 hours. I requested a full workup because I was noticing that mom's REASONING wasn't working the way it used to. A small example. I bought her some cortisone cream for some itchy skin problem, calling it "anti-itch cream". a few months later, she had used it all, and we went to BedBathand Beyond to get some of it and other items. I picked up a tube of the stuff I'd brought her previously, different packaging, of course. She was a tube labelled "anti-itch creme". She said, but THIS is anti itch creme. I said but mom , that does't have cortisone in it. THIS is the one that I bought you before. She repeated, "but this one SAYS anit itch creme". This is not the mother that taught me to read labels! Called her shrink who referred her for a full neuropsych work up. A depression interview with a nurse practioner; a mental status exam with a geriatric neruo and a three hour cognitive battery with a psychologist who specializes is geriatric assessment. So this was BEFORE her stroke. Now, with some paranoia and delusions and little in the way of ability to complete ADLs, the SW at her NH did a "mini mental" the other day. 15/15! You can have quite a bit of dementia and score quite adequately on the screening exams. You have to get a better assessment K. Sorry for this. Keep your chin up!
(0)

Hows everything going kazzaa?
(0)

Just what are you trying to accomplish? What's the end game? What good does having her evaluated do for her or you? If he'd said, "Yes, you're right. She has dementia," what would this have done for you and your family? More services? Assistance? What difference does it make what some stranger who visits with your mom for 15 minutes think about her mental state? You know she's not right.
(0)

Kazzaa - I do empathize with what you are going through. For my MIL - her primary care doctor who she had been seeing for 20 plus years totally understood that she had dementia even though she could "act" like she was fine at the doctor's office. I had to pull him aside and inform him of all the symptoms of dementia/alzheimers we were witnessing.

I don't have much confidence in psychiatrists from my experience with them when caregiving for my mother as well. Only the people who know the patient well and on a daily basis are the ones to rely on. I too have had experiences with my mother and the psychiatrists she could fool - and yes, you would think they would be able to realize this. I also had the best support from her primary care doctor who knew her for years. Take care and hugs to you.
(0)

kazzaa, I agree with the others, you need to find someone else to test her. Preferably someone who specializes in it. Finding the proper diagnose for anything anymore seems hard to come by, esp depending on the Drs. Good luck
(0)

My parent needed B12 for pernicious anemia. It makes them paranoid and crazy acting. She was missing the protein that carries the b vitamin. With monthly shots she acted much better. Her family doc didn't think she had issues but she did the personality switch up in front of the neurologist. It doesn't fix everything but it really helped. We went through the burning stuff issues and a whole lot more crazy. Hang in there. I wish you the best though.
(0)

Who prescribed the Aricept? If it was it her primary care physician, you should ask her/him for a referral to a neurologist to confirm whether or not she has dementia. Why was she being seen by a psychiatrist (or was it a psychologist?) The questions she was asked were useless for determining whether someone has dementia or not.
(1)

My mother with dementia is on perfect behavior at the geriatric dr..with us she acts like a tree stump, she can't hear a word we say here no matter how loud we have to get, but when she talks to my 2 cousins on the phone she hears them fine and carries on coherent conversations..I don't know how many times I have said to people I think she's playing us here...it's something I just don't understand..
(3)

A test for dementia is much longer. The short version takes 15 minutes. The long version takes several hours with some breaks. What your mother seems to have gotten was a snap decision.
(1)

You are not nuts, she is showtiming. A good psychiatrist could see through all that. You did not have a good psychiatrist, the evaluation was inadequate at the very least. So you tell them, in writing, that they are fully responsible for any injury to her as the result of their decision, and that you will hold them fully and financially accountable for any ensuing disaster resulting from their failure to completely evaluate the patient.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter