Follow

800 sq ft is fine for one person. But--2 people? And my husband has a motorized wheelchair. This is much more difficult. chris

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Cris, I hear you! Most homes do not have the space for an electric wheelchair, and my Mom's (or perhaps it was the driver) made a mess of the lowere walls, and the doors and door jams in no time. She was living in my sisters home at the time, and we made special allowances for the repairs in our inheritance distributions.
If it's Assisted living you are speaking of, their doors and halways are often wider, and may not be such a problem, but otherwise you will need to minimize or arrange your furniture as such, to allow her to get around, and be prepared to pay for damages that are assured to happen. I wonder if they make pads for those pesky shap corners on the wheelchair, or maybe your wife's chair isn't so bulky and as big as my Mom's was. Good luck! I could manage 800 sq feet, as I get older, my need for a big house is definitely decreasing, especially the maintenance!
(0)

I had found a YouTube film showing a very nice 800 sqft space to give others an idea of how much room is in that amount of space. Cut and paste this into the internet search mode "800 Sq Ft Oregon, River Road House - A Small Timber Frame Home".

My Dad had a 2 bedroom suite with large living room and a full size kitchen at his Independent Living complex. He used his 2nd bedroom as an office, but it would easily be a den with a large TV, etc. Thus a TV in the living room, and one in the den. Dad's complex, the men would be playing cards in one room, and the women would be enjoying the guest music makers, or some other activity.
(0)

Chris - my answer was about two people living in less space than 800 square feet along with all sorts of medical equipment. Perhaps you need 8,000 square feet to be happy.
(0)

I think your ability to tolerate each other in close quarters needs to be considered and is probably as big a sticking point as wheelchair suitability. I know some couples that seem joined at the hip, they are seldom more than a few paces apart wherever they are. I know others who spend as much time apart as possible and a 2000 sq ft home is still barely enough to contain them. If downsizing is inevitable and you are worried about stepping on each others toes you will have to find a home that will offer lots of attractions beyond your front door.
(2)

Chris, what are the options? Are there larger living spaces available at the IL? How much space are you living in now?

I think this has more to do with layout than with square footage. And with the wideness of hallways, doorways and such. Have you gone to a model apartment and tried maneuvering?
(1)

Well, the answers I was getting were about one person living in that space. I actually know one person can. But two people with one in a wheelchair is different. Thanks , Chris
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter