Follow

https://www.grammar.com/moot_vs._mute

The use of mute for moot has been making me nuts recently....

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
And then there is rain, the wet stuff that comes from the sky.🐸
(1)

Reign and rein. Both can be used as noun or verb. Reign means royal authority or the exercise thereof. Rein means the the strap connecting the bit of a bridle to the hands of the rider, or to control as with reins. These terms are not interchangeable. Rarely are they ever used correctly. It drives me nuts.

Sorry. I'll see myself to the door.
(3)

Glad; whenever I see "lean" instead of lien, I picture the tax man leaning against the house.
(3)

Lien vs Lean. I see it all the time and it drives me nuts.

And of course there's (there is) always there, their and they're. Their family is wacky. They're living with elderly parents. There's going to come a day.
(5)

My DH sister has as a greeting on her voice mail “call me back”. All said as one word.
“CallMeBack”
(1)

Well... at least it's honest😉
(3)

Tybee, that's hilarious - "leave a message and I'll get back to you when I can be bothered."
(3)

I understand your objection. People who misuse your and you're or there, their, and they're really make me roll my eyes.

Recently, another gaffe has caused my toes to curl. I'm in a new position that requires I contact other facilities, and usually that means I need to leave a voice message. Have you run across the message, "Please leave me a message, and I'll get back to you at MY earliest convenience"?

These dolts get standard business messages mixed. It's polite when leaving a message to say, "Please call me at YOUR earliest convenience."

But they never realize by saying they'll return my call at THEIR earliest convenience is dismissive and rude. One day, when I no longer need a job, I'm going to dial all those people and leave them an educational message! I'll finish my message by saying, "Please give me a call at your earliest convenience, and I'll return your call as soon as possible. "
(2)

God vs. Dog

Gawd awful vs. Doggone awful.
(1)

I have a pet peeve with people using n instead of and.
It's and Its. I like this thread.
I still remember 9/11. Will never forget. I do get annoyed with conspiracy theorists though, but that might be another thread for another time.
Another misuse. Alot and a lot.
Peace out AC
(0)

On grammerly.com, an advert is running....
confusing the word suppository for I am a repository of good information.
(2)

I'm late to it, but I ADORE Barb's doggy-dog world! The only thing is - what would be so scary or hostile about that? I really think we might be onto something if we could make the world a bit more doggy-dog.

Another one I had to be corrected on: hoist with one's own petard. Because of "hoist"- I don't know about anyone else - I always had a vague mental image of a person dangling around by the seat of their pants having caught them on a blade or hook of some sort. Far from it: a petard is a type of grenade, going back to the earliest use of gunpowder in the West, and hoist means disembowelled, essentially - blown to pieces.
(1)

Bring vs. the pronunciation "brin", or at least it sounds that way.

My friend is of Viking decent. Or is it descent? Or desent? Lol.
Not even the grammar app will say. I don't know!
(2)

Thanks for clearing that up Send!
(3)

My apologies to Gershun.
That did not come out right.
Trying to say, it is not her,
but others losing their heads.

I shoulda been mute.
(4)

Barb, lately I hear balmore the most! Or Balmar.. LOL They sort of skip the middle ! I was born but not raised there.. my Mom worked at the hospital I now work at and dad worked at Bethlehem steel as an engineer until he went back to school to become a teacher . I was raised In PA, so I am sure I have an accent to them! Lancaster to be exact,, so is it AAmish or Amish? LOL But on the sort of neat side.. I often get elderly Pts who also worked at Beth Steel,, so they love to talk about it.
(1)

Pam; Bal ti more or Bal tee more?

It's where my ex's mom was from.

A couple of years after my ex's grandma (who was from Balteemore) died, she made a recording (sort of an audio letter to her daughter). I knew this woman for a couple of years before I married ex.

One day, I mentioned something about the fact that his grandma had had a drawl. He hotly denied that fact, as did his mom.

FIL found the tape and we played it for them. Glory be! Listen to that drawl!
(1)

This is pretty funny! I am in medicine, and when you put a tube down to help some breathe you Intubate them.. but I even hear Drs say "innabate",,, OK at first I thought it was a Baltimore thing,, but I assure you most of my Drs are not from Baltimore! Come on, I think,, we all have college degrees and medical licenses,, what the heck? I actually lost it one day in the ER,, what the heck do you want me to do?? I assure you that none of my co workers ever say innabate around me any more.. LOL It bothers me when people misuse words,, although I do admit I use regional terms sometimes.. I am trying to be better about it... I have learned terms in Baltimore I need a translator to explain!
(0)

Gershun,

If You Can Keep Your Head When Everybody Round You Is Losing Theirs,
Then It Is Very Probable That You Don’t Understand the Situation.
(3)

Thank you Becky for explaining that.
My ignorance about headdress could have unintentionally offended others, and I thank you for clearing that up in my mind. And I apologize for any offense.

My hubs laughs at me because I have this flowing blouse in a paisley print, and everytime I put it on, I tell him it feels like I am wearing a tablecloth, there is so much fabric.

I don't mind being corrected.
(4)

Too funny! I’ve heard heart rending for my whole life and never thought a thing of it. Maybe it is a southern thing. There are many southern sayings, some that make me smile and some that make me cringe 🤣
(1)

Send, Gutras, keffiyehs and other Middle Eastern headdresses in the red and white print from various countries are not signs of terrorists. And as far as the night time celebrations, that too is common. Many of their religious observances require fasting during the day. They then stay up celebrating late into the evening.

Today in the US we have far less to fear from foreign terrorists than we do from our own home grown mass shooters.
(6)

Interesting. Maybe some regional differences. I don't think I have ever heard heart rending.
(1)

Hm, I don't think I've ever heard anything BUT heart wrenching, maybe very occasionally gut wrenching. I don't really see why a heart can't be wrenched (twisted) just as logically as it can be rendered (broken)- we say heart sore as well as heart broken, right?
(1)

YES!!!!! YES YES YES.

Oh bless them, that one has been making me throw things at the radio for YEARS.

And don't start me on decimate/devastate.

Or personal pronouns.

But I am proudly using y'all at every possible opportunity from now on - so excited about it!
(6)

(3)

Barb, can't imagine being there that day. My SO at the time grew up on Long Island. Some of his high school friends were first responders that were lost that day.

Is it heart wrenching or heart rending? 😕 I see the their vs there vs they're so often, at times it definitely gets to me. I am certainly not going to become one of those that corrects or disagrees with others on this site.

The one that really drives me nuts is accept vs except!
(2)

I don't read the religious thread...
(2)

This whole thread wouldn't happen to be a dig at me would it? Cause I know I may have said mute instead of moot on the religious thread yesterday.

My bad!
(1)

I started reading through this with a smile on my face, as I’m known in my family to frequently cringe over grammar errors. Of course I fully know that I also make my fair share of them. Then I read the 9/11 comments and Barb’s story, it’s heart rending and always will be, a day that I always feel a sadness that’s hard to shake.
As for adding a pet peeve, I’ll go with “could care less” If a person could care less then he or she is capable of caring less than the person already does. If you want to express that you’re truly over something, you should say you “couldn’t care less” as that means you’re not capable of caring any less than you presently do.
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter