Follow
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Seems like our own poop is fascinating to some of us at both extremes of the age range -- babies and oldsters. I don't really understand it but maybe it's something to do with it being something our keepers can't control. Anyway, gross, right?

Babies outgrow this antic and with oldsters I see it as a sign the person's doctor needs to get involved. There are drawbacks to medications, of course, and yet when a certain point is reached then intervention becomes appropriate. What else can be done?

I've stayed with my 95-year-old mother for 10 years now, ever since Dad died, and all that time have resisted what I consider the *heavy* drugs for her. But recently I took her doctor's advice and started her on Seroquel and Namenda.

The doctor promised the Seroquel would stop her constant pacing around the house, agitated and anxious, rattling the locks on the doors and yelling to be let out so she could walk to her mother's house. (Her mother passed away 70 years ago and never lived around here.) And his promise has been true.

Of course, she sleeps a lot and is groggy sometimes, getting used to the new meds. After a few days of this, I felt like it was too much and stopped the Seroquel. But it wasn't long before the all-day agitation and aggressive behavior started again, following me around demanding attention (no matter how much she got) and I put her back on the meds -- ground up with her other pills and mixed with chocolate peanut butter spread on a cracker.

All along, my main concern has been quality of life. There's no way it's good for her to be upset and act out all the time, sleeping very little. And there's only so much of this a caregiver can take before burning out. So, for both our sakes, it's time for pharmaceutical support.

Don't know if this is the solution for the problem with your mother, but it might be worth looking into. Blessings to both of you.
(4)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter