Follow

But she is not being careful. I am trying to keep her spending at a minimum because when her money runs out she will have to go on medicaid which we don't want but she fights me tooth and nail. she is 95 and in assisted living. She does not have dementia or alzhimers - she does have Mild Cognitive Impairment. I am trying to do the right thing by her and keep telling her that if she passes away I won't have the money to pay all her bills.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
If your mother wants you to keep track of her spending and knows she has to be careful - then that is what you have to do. How do you know at this age that some dementia is not starting? I had a problem with my mother spending as well - the power of attorney was in affect as well as the health care proxy was involked - she was not capable of making her own decisions; so I had the unpleasant job of taking her checkbook and credit cards away.

It is normal to not to want to lose control of your finances - but there comes a time when it has to stop. It is not pleasant and there was hell to pay for it; but I did the right thing. I had to keep her finances in order - that is all there is to it. It has to be done. Make sure you have POA and HCP in order first if you don't already. We have to take charge under duress sometimes; but that is what has to be done as they are not thinking clearly. Good luck to you. Take care.
(0)

Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter