Follow

So today went pretty much like I thought it would. Doesn’t matter whether her dr sent the referral, they have to meet a criteria. Basically because mom can still walk a little, say more than 6 words she doesn’t qualify. I’m frustrated but have resigned myself to the fact that I’m in this alone for the long haul. I appreciate this time with my mom and I know I’m doing everything possible for her. Hospice Nurse will be back in a month. Thanks everyone for your kindness.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Thank you! Sunnygirl1 she’s already on the Dementia & Pallative Care from Hospice. All she receives is a monthly visit from a nurse. They don’t offer help with bathing, etc. I’m not forcing her to do anything. She literally just wants to go meet her Jesus. Her body is just worn out. If she will take her meds, good. If not I’m not pushing her. I don’t really see why she’s on any of them except Trazodone-which isn’t working. She’s in pain from the headaches and her back. All I have to offer her is OTC meds. I know people mean well but sometimes I feel like I’m failing her, I’m not good enough. I’ve worked in the medical field for over 20 years and was also a Hospice volunteer until mom needed me more. Of course I offer her food and drink. Of course I’ve tried everything to get her to eat or drink a thousand different foods. No matter if she walk a little and still speak I know in my heart she’s dying. It breaks my heart.
(0)

So sorry to see that you didn't get the approval for your mother. What about Palliative Care? That is offered by some hospice agencies for those who don't qualify for hospice. That's what I had for my LO before she went on hospice. Basically, we discontinued all meds not for her comfort, stopped routine tests, limited any outside medical visits, except for emergencies. (her doctor came to the facility and so she didn't need to go out for that) and focused on keeping her comfortable and not prolonging her life. This was very similar to hospice policy. The only difference was that after hospice staff call hospice BEFORE they call 911. Also, she gets hospice nurse once a week, bath aid, chaplain, and social worker. As well as the bed, tall back wheelchair, supplies, etc.
(1)

(((((HUGS))))))

You might find this useful.

https://www.crossroadshospice.com/hospice-care/hospice-eligibility-criteria/
(1)

(((hug)))
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter