Follow

I tried to avoid another ER visit, BUT the visiting nurse said that she needs fluids because she is dehydrated, and because of her molar tooth pain she thinks the infection could be affecting her. I guess it doesn't hurt just to get her checked out. So hard to see her suffer.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Only, while mom is in the hospital, please ask for the palliative care team to take a look at her. You may get some good advice.
(1)

Update:
Mom will be staying the night because, "She has 40 pounds of s*** in her!" She also has a UTI. She is getting fluids and antibiotics through IV. I have tried everything to get her to be regular. I think the new thing will be a suppository everyday. I will be searching through these boards for constipation remedies.
(2)

Its definitely heart wrenching. Her caregiver just called and I heard my Mom yelling in the background because they are trying to draw blood for labs. She just doesn't want to go through that anymore. I am in regret mode for taking her to the hospital now.
(1)

Only, that's exactly how we got to the palliative care decision. And the Hospice.

Look, this is gut wrenching and you should talk it over, but for us, it had gotten to be a destructive cycle.
(0)

She is bedridden so urgent care is not an option because I have to call 911 to get her transported.

I think you are right Barb, as soon as I see what the ER doc says I think it is time for hospice. We are done with this cycle!
(2)

If you want to avoid ER visits, you need to bring in Hospice.

That may sound cold, but it's the absolute truth. I think it was my mom's last round trip ambulance ride and not the fall that precipitated it that killed her.
(3)

onlychild82, instead of going to the ER, do you have an urgent care walk-in office to use? You spend less time waiting, and it is less scary to an elder compared to a busy, noisy ER.

Ah, dehydration. That can create world of medical problems. I remember going to an urgent care because I was feeling very strange and like i could faint. Right away he figured it was dehydration, thus I was getting numerous small cups of water for a half hour. I really did feel better.

As for molar tooth pain, sometimes it isn't the molar but one's sinuses especially this time of year with all the pollen out there. The ache from the sinus cavity can travel down to the jaw.
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter