Follow

Mom accidentally crossed her feet while using her walker and took a hard fall onto her left hip. She was still in her pjs and had gotten’ up to go to the bathroom in her room at M/C. Paramedics were called and she was taken to the ER. She was frightened, confused, scared and in tremendous pain. There were no beds on the ortho floors so we spent 24 hours in the ER (Fun...NOT!) My brother and I agonized over her having the surgery because she is 91 with pretty advanced dementia. She has markedly deteriorated in the 2 months she has been in M/C.

I am absolutely terrified about the general anesthesia after-effects on her body AND her brain. She made it through the surgery. Now for the tough part: recovery. Prayers welcomed.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Sp sorry that your mom took a tumble and broke her hip.

Will certainly pray for your mom to recover as quickly as possible.

Wishing you peace during this challenging situation.
(1)

Praying for you, your mom and family.
(2)

Oh no! I am so sorry! Lots of prayers for mom and you and your brother!
(3)

You have my sympathies.
So sad that elders have these falls & fractures. Ortho wards seem to be full of 10 yr old kids, skiers & the very aged 🙁

Delirium, pain & pneumonia will be some of the current dangers. Oh, and side effects of pain meds.

But stay hopeful. Channel your fears into a caring hand for her to hold instead, a friendly face makes such a difference (I hope you CAN visit?)

Then watch & wait to see what recovery is possible.
You will all adjust to her new normal.

Keep us updated if it helps you.
(2)

Praying for mostly peace in all of your hearts!

I’m sorry that this happened to your mom, and to you!
(2)

Oh, this is so hard for your mom and for you. Yes, will pray for the recovery. I'm sure your heart is broken.
(1)

It is midnight here in the hospital and Mom is wide awake. She has wadded up all her blankets into a big ball and somehow managed to take the hospital gown off. She is pulling on her IV and trying to remove the absorbent pad under her that had to be put there because Mom keeps removing the “Pure Wick” external catheter. She has had 6 so far. She just saw a cat in the corner of the room that was about to be hit by a car. My normally quiet Mom who never speaks is jabbering nonsense non-stop. Needless to say, the oxygen cannula has ZERO chance of staying on her face, much less in her nose! She just put it in her mouth and chewed it. This is the first day post hip replacement surgery and I am here to tell you: general anesthesia is NOT a good thing for the elderly. The after-effects are awful and who knows how much more damage to Mom’s brain has been done. The only pain med she is taking is regular Tylenol.

She has now balled up the covers on her bed again and is picking at the fabric, naked as the day she was born while reaching out to pull invisible (to me anyway) objects from the air. Typical post op delirium, I know, but hard to watch for sure. I am really praying this behavior will go away in a few days. Hospital Mom is way too hard!
(1)

Texas, I am so sorry that your mom is in such distress after surgery. Hoping for a better morning.
(2)

Delirium 😫

Is Mom on a floor lowered bed?

Hopefully, she will get some sleep eventually - & you too!
(2)

Tex, how is your mom today?
(0)

So sorry to hear this - sending you mental strength vibes and prayers for mom's recovery.
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter