Follow

A while back (3 wks? 3 months?) and now just recently, a reply in someone's post mentioned the possibility of memory decline after major surgery. It grabbed my attention because an older friend of mine took a memory test shortly after hip and knee replacement surgery just over a year ago and committed suicide a month later because the test results indicated that she might have "dementia or alzheimers" and she didn't want to put her family through that. Her husband and family said she had no known memory problems prior to the surgery. Doing a google search, I came across the following article, and now I am angry that this wasn't shared with her and her family prior to the surgery. Memory loss after surgery in someone over 60yrs old doesn't necessarily mean a permanent loss! Please read:

https://khn-org.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/khn.org/news/what-we-know-and-dont-know-about-memory-loss-after-surgery/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCCAE%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&_tf=From%20%251%24s&share=https%3A%2F%2Fkhn.org%2Fnews%2Fwhat-we-know-and-dont-know-about-memory-loss-after-surgery%2F

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Rule of thumb for anesthesia is that for every hour one is under, it is equal to one month of brain fog recovery. Thus, a 4 hour surgery would mean the patient needs 4 months to get out of that fog.

I wish more doctors would bring that to the patient's attention, maybe they have but the patient was too occupied worrying about the surgery. One reason to have a relative in the office during consultation.

Now, if a person does has known dementia, then anesthesia is questionable.
(2)

My DIL is an anesthesiologist.....and she wouldn't concur with these findings. Having said that, she herself has never had any kind of anesthesia. And she's kind of an ice princess personality, so any kind of criticism of her skills does not sit well, We've have had one half of a conversation about this exact thing.

I remember after an emergency gallbladder surgery, I was not "myself" for about 6 months. Found that subsequent procedures inevitably leave me a little more "impaired" than I had been. Knowing I will come back and being prepared for the anxiety and depression that can often follow anesthesia has been helpful.

After DH's liver transplant (about 14 hours "under") he did not come back mentally for over a year. It was annoying, but we knew it had causation.

Problem is, the anes. dr works independently of the surgeon and if they don't talk to you prior to your surgery, how would you ever know? Most surgeons are in and out and don't come back kind of people. Anes. drs are truly "off the hook" once their patient is awake and taking fluids. Then they check out.

GOOD ONES will follow up after the surgery and even be available to call in case of some kind of emergency. They aren't. What's the name of the last Anes, doc YOU had? Right, You don't remember b/c they aren't a part of the follow up. They wouldn't/couldn't do anything for you anyway--but tell you it will be ok.
(2)

Doctors also had no problem writing prescriptions for opioids/narcotics for use by their patients at home when historically, narcotics had only been used for inpatients being treated by professional medical providers.

Take what doctors say with a grain of salt because you know your body better than they ever will.

And one more thing: anesthesiologists are among the biggest drug addicts around. Some of them will sample every chemical under the Sun. They are among the top types of physicians having to enter drug rehab programs.
(1)

AMEN, NY Daughter. I believe that some of the worst "opioid addicts" are in fact, in the medical profession. we have to beg on bended knee for a Tylenol 3 to get through a root canal--and I know 3 drs personally who lost their medical licenses due to YEARS of abuse.
(3)

My mother had a knee replacement at the age of 81. Following the surgery, she was disoriented and confused. She never really came back from that. She had minimal symptoms before that, and has deteriorated slowly for the past five years.
(1)

Thanks for the reference to the article, but how do you access it ?
(0)

After my Mom had colon surgery and hip replacement, 5 months apart, she developed sundowners syndrome and then memory issues. The surgeon said it was from the pain meds and the anesthesia. It has now been a year and a half and she is taking 5 mg of Aricept, which seems to help a bit.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter