Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
1 2 3
Bermuda you said it all when it comes to my relationship with my mother. She has literally enmeshed herself in my life to ensure her happiness. She had four daughters, one deceased now, and I was the unlucky winner. Why she picked me out of four is perplexing. I am so opposite from her, whereas, two of my sisters are so much more like her and the other one more similiar to me. I am a middle child, so it cannot be birth order. Unfortuneatly I have had to distance myself with boundaries because of the psychological pain she was causing me due to her neediness and codependency. The guilt and daily dwelling on the situation is there, but better to deal with that than allowing her to use me as a convenience to make her life easier. There is nothing worse than trying to make someone happy only to have it thrown back in your face with complaints about the effort. The hardest part is she needs help now, she is 82 with COPD, a widow and home owner. She has yet to hire anyone to help her except the occasional next door neighbor for yard work. I do take her to doctors appoinments even though I have to schedule my work hours around them and drive two hours round trip to do it. My sister takes her food shopping, but has the priveledge to be able to work it around her work schedule. My husband use to do all the house maintenance, until I put a stop to that. My mother would have an never endling list of things to do and it was too much. I have researched all the available information for her to get the help she needs, but if it costs money forget it. She is in a good financial position, but feels she is entitled to all the freebies she can get at her disposal. Yes, the elderly can suck the life out of their adult children so they can have a life of entitlements.
(3)

Roscoe, sounds like you were brainwashed into thinking that your life is about Mom - it's not. If whatever help you need to make your own life - you deserve it!
She may fuss and fume, but really the power is yours. And your financial situation will enable you to subcontract her care - morally we are only obligated to help parents in cases of destitution and that does NOT mean they get to decide how basic help if provided. Get started on your own life today - it will be wonderful, though you may need some time to adjust and experiment. You won't regret it.
(1)

Debralee, oh I can relate. My mother is not well off, but she can afford some services and some things are free in her city but for the most part she is only comfortable with family. Part of the hook is if you don't help them they will let themselves really suffer and decline rather than accept "outside" help. It sets you up to actually neglect them to force the point. And they guess, often correctly, that their adult child won't do this. It sucks.
(1)

Roscoe, the second I read that you're a self made millionaire, any sympathy I had for you flew out the window. I'll be blunt, as is my nature. Get your head out of your ass. You have millions, you say? Great! Then freedom, sweet freedom, is at your fingertips. You are certainly NOT at the mercy of your mother...not unless YOU allow it, and bow down to it. HIRE somebody with all those millions to come and do the job YOU'VE been doing all your life. What the hell is your mom going to do? Get angry? Damn, sucks for HER doesn't it? How in the hell can you be smart enough to make all that money, but too ignorant not to see the forest for the trees? Nothing, and I mean nothing, except mental chains, which YOU allow to be there, is holding you back from living life. If I were you, GOD, how I wish I were you, I'd have hired the best damn caretakers on the planet, and my ass would be sitting on a beautiful, peaceful, lovely tropical island somewhere, sipping a margarita and thanking God for my beautiful, beautiful life. Are you kidding me? I get mental chains, I really do. But what you aren't getting is that you have the power to break them. Your mom has you by the balls. It's up to you to loosen that grip on them and start being your own man. You say your mom is in control. Allow me to enlighten you. NO, she's not. YOU are. You just don't realize it because obviously, you've been brain washed. Take some of that money, hire the people you need, and get the HELL out of dodge and grab your life back. What's mother going to do? Physically overwhelm you and tie you to a chair? lol That I'd like to see. Will she yell at you? Call you names? Big deal. I'd be grinning like a fool as I skipped out the door whistling as I took off on my private plane to places I couldn't WAIT to discover. Oh, she's going to call you and bug you if you leave? Turn the phone off. You need to seriously wake up my friend and get a new attitude and new perspective, because yours is certainly skewed. All the answers are right in front of you. SEE that for the truth it is. Good luck... And do me a favor, hmmm? Have a drink for me when you get to that island. lol
(1)

Agree with you Barbara. not very kind but Roscoe has got a way out but Mom has those apron strings pretty tight and he may be afraid to face the world alone.
The only answer is pull up those big boy pants and figure out what is the healthiest way forward for both him and Mom
(0)

Roscoe, your profile says moms primary ailment is mobility. I would suggest getting an occupational to do an assessment, buy whatever aids that they suggest, hire someone to help your mom while you go on vacation. Use that time to figure out if you want to continue living your life like this.
(0)

Being overwhelmed or potential mental health issues such as depression which paralyze you from logically handling a situation are not solely the problems of the poor. Being rich does not make you less human.

For those who discount the emotional issues of anyone because they have money, remember money does not buy happiness, perhaps some people without money cannot see that.

When you can identify with someone else because they have problems similar to you, that is a selfish sort of relating. When you can see the pain in someone whom you can not understand that is true compassion and I hope someday you can afford yourself some true compassion.

I find it very hurtful that a number of people initiated a pile on when the poster identified financial status. If you read the posts in order the tone immediately changed. I suspect some of that is based on envy.

Shame on those, I hope you find more compassion than you give.

Sincerely,
L
(0)

I just came across your post, Roscoe, and had to comment. Please get professional counseling to deal with the burden you feel. Your comment "a life was sacrificed" says to me that you are very angry and view yourself as a victim at the mercy of your mother. I understand this has been going on since you were a child but somehow you have been successful in your professional life. When you were younger, was this living situation beneficial to you, allowing you to build your business?

You do have options but it seems you are mired in misery and need help climbing out of the ditch to take action. A good therapist can guide you and help you change the dynamic in your relationship with mom. Start getting out of the house daily. If your mom can't be left alone, get in-home care for a portion of each day so you can go for a walk, join a gym, go to the movies, etc.

It is not rational for you to tell your sister not to work because you chose to quit your job and you're angry. It is not rational for you to tell your mother she has stolen your life (that's pretty cruel). With the right counselor/therapist/psychologist, you have someone to help you sort through your feelings of helplessness so you can plan for the rest of your life. The more honest you are in therapy, the more the therapist can help you. He/she must have the truth: the good, bad and ugly, not just the part about how awful your mother was to steal your life. Good luck.
(2)

Ismiami, this guy has dug his own hole...he's allowed himself to be in this position. It's not that the rest of us here are green with jealousy over the guy's wealth...we just see it as the FREEDOM it represents, freedom that is at this man's disposal anytime he chooses to see reality. The only problem this man has is the fact that he allowed, yes allowed, another person to completely and totally dominate and control him. Not a good idea for anyone, money or no money. I can almost guarantee that if any of us that are much less fortunate had access to those kinds of funds, there wouldn't be a single problem. If I had a stash like this guy, and my mom tried to shit all over me, you think I'd stand for it even one minute of one damn day? People here put up with endless abuse and bullshit because they DON'T have the financial freedom to fly away and put it all behind them, but bet your sweet ass they'd be gone in an instant if they did. That's what I'm having a hard time with concerning this man. What we 'envy' is this guy's absolute ability to grab freedom and RUN, because he CAN...but we lack all the oozing sugary compassion because he has a CHOICE, but won't make it, thereby keeping HIMSELF in misery. Many here do what they do because it's a MORAL obligation, and that's great. But if we had the CHOICE in being able to hire the best care takers, provide anything and everything that our charges could desire or want, and knew we could LEAVE, nobody here would stay, especially with nasty customers like this dude's mother. I mean, really? What is this guy, a masochist? You'd almost have to be to CHOOSE to stay with a controlling, abusive parent, when the money for sweet, sweet freedom was in your hands. It's not that we lack compassion, it's that we lack understanding as to why anyone, no matter who it is, has all the damn answers right in front of their face, but chooses not to act, chooses to remain in the company of someone like his mother, when another choice is clearly within his grasp. He's not describing some wonderful, loving parent. He's describing someone pretty lousy, but he doesn't leave, when he COULD? Would that we all had such a beautiful choice in this matter. That's the fact I have no sympathy for. The guy has choices...that's more than some of us can say. But he CHOOSES his own misery. Well, as long as he's making that choice, I find it hard to feel sorry for the guy. *shrug* It's all about choices. And this guy should be thanking God on his knees that he has them. It's more than what some of us have, that's for sure. It's his CHOICES we envy, not his money.
(2)

Oh, and everything, Lulabear said, too.
(0)

StandingAlone...you said everything I was thinking, except I'm now wondering how much truth there is to his story to be honest.
(2)

My story is very true. I live it every day of my life. I could never leave because I'm in this for life. Yes, that's my fault, but I guess that is another sacrifice that I will have yo endure. I guess I just have too much goodness in me. That is the reason my mother has lived this long.....from me being here. If she was in a home or another place she would probably have died. Maybe I'm just bitter at the ways things have played out in my life with the death of my father, etc. I took it upon myself to care for my mother too, almost like that was the "sentence" imposed on me. It was very hard to have a normal life under my circumstances. With that said, my mother can be very mean at times. Even at the age of 88 she wants control and has not softened up one bit.....she will argue and fight back. I cannot go outside to get the mail without her worrying.......cannot do any yard work for any length of time. If on the rare occasion I go to the store without her......she locks herself in her room because she is afraid of someone breaking into the house. When she goes to the store with me she waits in my vehicle while I shop. Yes, my lifestyle is very unhealthy, but It has become "normal" to me because this is all I know. How would any of you like to stay home almost all of the time being a 24/7 caregiver and not being able to do anything that you want to do or to have any friends to go places with. My mother shows no mercy to me. If I mention anything about this then my mother goes into a rage with me. She sometimes go into her bedroom and lock herself in when we "argue". She is ruthless at times and shows no mercy on my, but I'm a saint and take it all. It not healthy being around another person 24/7.....even married people are not together that much. I need some breathing room. Again, my mother expects this......it's her way or nothing. As long as I'm her for her until she dies......that is all that matters to her. My life or future does not matter. I cannot build any relationship because my life is taken.
(0)

When my mother argues with me and goes and locks herself in her room......I say to myself, "What did I do to deserve this?" I basically live the life of a saint, but yet it feels like I have the worst treatment from my mother at times. It's like she doesn't get it......can't she see all that I do......can't she see the sacrifices I make?
(0)

Yep get therapy! I look after my mum 24/7 with no help from siblings or anyone if i had the finances you claim? to have I wouldnt be on here moaning. loving a parent is giving them the best care either by ourselves and OR hired help. Cargiving is not meant to be a life sentence unless thats what you want it to be. People like you dont know youre born I would right now just be happy with $200 just to get a few days break? Do you have empathy for others doing this job with no money to help out? BOO HOO!
(2)

I'm not on the committee this year, but you would NOT get MY vote for "Saint". Martyr maybe, but Saint.....ummm...no.
(2)

This is a quote from Roscoe in an old post. I think the "money" thing is BS.

"It figures........the son / daughter 'caregiver'.....gets screwed-over again......be good boys and girls......take care of your parents.....regardless.......go to any lengths to 'honor thy father and mother'.......and drive yourself nuts in the process......let your health suffer and quit your job and go broke and land in the poorhouse......yes.......being a 'caregiver' is just great!
(0)

Roscoe - there are too many inconsistencies to your stories, and I stand by my words. If you truly have the money you claim to have, you would have (at the very LEAST) someone to help you with your mother - no one ever said she had to be in a home if she doesn't need to be. There are so many caregivers that WISH they had the financial means you claim to have so they can give their parents the care they truly deserve! To be quite honest it's an insult to all of them for you to come here and claim you are the helpless sacrificial lamb in spite of your "wealth". Only you, and you alone, are standing in the way of living your life. Please seek help - you can obviously afford the best therapist money can buy, right?
(3)

I cannot know what the absolute truth of Roscoe's situation is, but I encourage people to be kind. There is more than one way to chain a person down than money. This is public board so I'm not going to elaborate much, but it is entirely possible that his mother truly does literally control him to the degree he describes. Roscoe, please do consider getting counseling help - if you are rich you have all the options you need, if you are poor there are low cost services available too. The idea of your sacrifice being saintly is actually part of what keeps you trapped.
(5)

Roscoe, What happens to your mom when you die? I have known too many caregivers that die prematurely. What are your plans for her? I would suggest whatever those plans are, that you implement them, now, before it is too late for you.

My Mother had to go to a nursing home, after my sister died. My Mother is currently flourishing. Go figure.
(3)

Roscoe, there are some really good people that are helping my Mom right now, and they work for Hospice Home Health, it's not end-of-life Hospice, just Home Health. Wonderful, wonderful people! We have 4 Nurses, 2 Physical Therapists, 1 Social Worker, and they're at the house almost every day, maybe for an hour each visit. But even 1 hr helps, they give Mom a bath Mon/Wed/Fri, take her vitals, change her clothes, cut toe/finger nails, clean her dentures, change her bandages (Mom just had 5 hr ortho surgery), but most of all, they socialize with her. I think the Number One killer for our Seniors is being ALONE! It's sucks the life right out of them! I highly recommend you get help to come to the house, keep trying different people until you find someone, or group of someones, that your Mom likes! I was ready for a nervous break down just prior to her 1st fall, then the 2nd fall I was scared to death! I highly recommend finding a Church too, my Faith is the only thing that saved me from totally loosing my mind!
(3)

Roscoe, "A life was sacrificed ..." is passive voice. I'm not trying to play English teacher here, but this implies that some outside force caused this, or that you don't know who did it, or that it doesn't matter.

The active voice version would be "I sacrificed my life ..."

I think this passive attitude is significant. You seem to think that what you are doing is controlled by some other force. And maybe that is true. Maybe you have been so thoroughly "brain washed" or "programmed" by you mother that you really have lost control.

Therapy can help you take control of your own life!

Many people have suggested this, and I have not seen your response to that suggestion. Have you ever tried it? Will you try it now?
(2)

Roscoe, I read your last post and I literally cringed...then it pissed me off.

"I could never leave because I'm in this for life." Really. Who made that decision? YOU.

"I just have too much goodness in me." No, what you're describing isn't 'goodness' it's masochistic and downright dumbness.

"....almost like that was a 'sentence' imposed on me." Yes. A 'sentence' imposed by YOU, nobody else.

"It was very hard to have a normal life under my circumstances." No shit!

"Yes, my lifestyle is very unhealthy, but It has become "normal" to me because this is all I know." Then take some of that money you say you've got and LEARN something different... like with a therapist.

"Even at the age of 88 she wants control and has not softened up one bit.....she will argue and fight back. I cannot go outside to get the mail without her worrying.......cannot do any yard work for any length of time. If on the rare occasion I go to the store without her......" Walk away, CHOOSE not to listen, and keep on keepin' on exactly what you were doing anyway. What's she going to do? Kick your ass?

"How would any of you like to stay home almost all of the time being a 24/7 caregiver and not being able to do anything that you want to do or to have any friends to go places with." I lived housebound, in prison, 24/7 with my own mother the last 5 years. And I'm not the only one around here, and neither are you.

"My mother shows no mercy to me." Neither did mine when she was mentally sound. Tell her to piss off.

" If I mention anything about this then my mother goes into a rage with me." **Yaaaawn** Oh, another rage. Big deal. Tell her to piss off and scream at the walls, as you walk out the door.

"She sometimes go into her bedroom and lock herself in when we "argue". Oh, thank GOD! Peace at last! Yay!!!! :D

" but I'm a saint" No, you're not. Not by any stretch of the imagination. I can think of a lot of things you are, but I'm working on my diplomacy.

" It not healthy being around another person 24/7....." Well, at least you got one thing right.

"Again, my mother expects this......it's her way or nothing" And? Your point? Who allows it? YOU do. Who lied to you and said you had to toe the line?

"As long as I'm her for her until she dies......that is all that matters to her." Piss on ALL such toxic people.

" I cannot build any relationship because my life is taken." No, it wasn't 'taken.' It was GIVEN. By YOU.

Roscoe, I avoid guys like you like the plague, and I don't give a tinker's damn how much money they've got. Nobody is going to make ME 100% responsible for their happiness, or their misery, it's too great a burden. We're each responsible for OURSELVES. Wake up and smell the roses.
(7)

Money will not break the psychological effect of exreme co-dependency. Roscoe hates the situation he is in, can afford to change it, yet doesn't. Mental illness may be keeping this guy chained to the life he has chosen. Maybe a deep sense of obligation stemming from childhood is keeping him chained. Whatever it is, money will not change his choices. Only therapy will free him from his choice of horrors.
(4)

Roscoe quit his job last year if I remember right. I remember we tried to talk him out of it. I think he just comes here for dramatic vent and not really looking for suggestions. I've seen dozens of suggestions given over time and not one received. So vent away, Roscoe, if it helps.
(2)

roscoe - to quote you "can't she see all that I do......can't she see the sacrifices I make?"

In a word "No". Your mother cannot see all you do and sacrifice for her. If that is the reward you are waiting for, you will never get it. Your mother is not emotionally healthy - seems very narcissistic to me. You would benefit from looking up the site "daughtersofnarcissisticmothers", as it applies to sons of narcissistic mothers too. You will find much there that applies to you and your mother and the way she interacts with you, and the way you interact with her. She is using and abusing you, and you will get no thanks from her. My mother is all the things you describe of yours, but I don't allow her to control my life. You do have choices and I suspect you have a lot of anger and guilt which are tying you to your mother. I do not see you as a saint at all. God's instruction is to love others as ourselves. I do not see that balance in your relationship with your mum. I do not see you loving yourself. You say you argue with her. She will not ever, nor can she, see things as you see them. A narcissist is a bottomless pit of need who will engulf and enmesh anyone who allows it, and who has no gratitude for what others do for them. That is what you are dealing with. I am sorry that you are in this situation and I am sorrier that you continue to stay, looking for the appreciation that you will never get. Facing/accepting that you will never get it would be one good step. No amount of arguing or sacrificing on your part will make your mother into the mother you want and need. Many of us here have the same loss in our lives. It is sad.
(4)

Lucky you that you are a self made millionare! I agreed with the others, you have a choice and control over your life. Now is the time where you need more quality life for yourself! I suggest you hire part time aide and let your mom get used to having someone else taking care of her. After a while, I would recommend hiring a full time help. Since you cannot force your sister to help out, this will be your best bet. Good luck!
(1)

Roscoe--I am sorry to hear you are having a hard time. However, if you have lived with your mother your entire life, surely you should have some idea of how she operates. A lesson I recently learned from all the great caregivers on here is that at the end of the day.. you have to make quality time for yourself, without your mothers involvement at all. You chose to stay there with her and assume the role of caregiver decades ago, so you have enabled her to become dependent upon you for EVERYTHING. She doesn't see your needs or wants or that you even have a life outside of what she wants...sadly she never will either. You need to hire someone to help her and then take a few days away from her to get yourself together. Therapy is your friend! Good Luck!
(1)

Has anyone else noticed that elements of Roscoe's story change with time? I read back through some of his old posts to see if it was my own faulty memory. No, the inconsistencies are there -- big ones. Roscoe, are you really a caregiver? I've not heard you talk about any specific times, only in sweeping generalities.
(5)

I was listening to a ThinkTQ audio and a very striking story in contrast to yours was presented.

A woman left her home and moved from Chicago to California to be with her mom who had cancer. She decided she needed to do it. She sold most all of her beloved books in order to do it. But she was not a victim. She took a good hard look at her values and though she valued books and education, she valued family and compassion more. She COULD HAVE driven to California ruminating and bitter about having given up her Chicago home and job and her books, but she didn't because the choice she made had to do with her own values and her own sense of self.

Yah, her Mom is probably much nicer.

But, that's not the point.

You ain't a saint if you make your choices grudgingly and bitterly and even try to pretend they aren't choices...and especially if you want everyone to pat you on the back and tell you we agree what a saint you are. When you have done good in public to glorify yourself, like a certain Pharissee mentioned in the Gospels, you have had your reward. You thought maybe Mom would give you gratitude and it ain't gonna happen; you thought maybe we would all keel over in admiration of your noble sacrifice, and because too many of us have been there done that, and shredded the T-shirt, that's not going to happen either. You ain't a saint. Most of us aren't either. We may have loved and sacrificed for our parents or other loved ones, made good decisions and bad, and struggled with them, but not too many of us think of ourselves as perfect people, just real live hurting people in real tough situations who may be able to give and receive help and support.

If you want to try stepping down off the pedestal and admit you are a human being with a demanding, difficult mom to care for, I bet being on here can help you. I think maybe you can do it, or I would not even bother writing again. Somewhere under the layer of BS you have been feeding yourself and us there is a man who wants a real life. And to be a REAL saint, you have to get real and have a real life.
(6)

JessieBelle...absolutely. If it's attention he is seeking, then he has accomplished that. Caregiving can twist the most normal person into someone even they wouldn't recognize...if the person is rooted in deep emotional issues involving his mother, then I'm afraid that about sums up what's going on with Roscoe. He is trolling for pats on the back, and he chose the wrong place to get them because too many of us have seen, done, and been through much worse to have any sympathy for someone who HAS (?) the choice to change his situation but refuses to.
(2)

1 2 3
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter