Follow

I live in northeast North Carolina, and if you've been following the news, you know that Hurricane Dorian moved through our area today.

I was dreading it. Even on the best of days, Mom (age 87, severely disabled, legally blind and nearly deaf) is pretty demanding and pessimistic. But today, she was an absolute joy to care for! She knew the hurricane was coming, and I guess she sensed what I was going through, what with securing the house and making sure we had everything ready for the worst possible scenario.

Our power went out at 8:30 this morning, and she didn't make a peep. She waited patiently for everything - breakfast, lunch, nap preparations, meds, dinner... and she didn't complain if I was a few minutes late with anything. She even toned down her usual moans and groans, and kept her complaints to herself. She was a little jumpy when the big wind gusts hit the house (so was I), but when I explained what was happening, she simply said, "Oh, okay. Now I know what's going on."

The storm has since cleared out - in fact, it's a beautiful, cool night - and though I know everything will be back to "normal" on the caregiving front tomorrow, I'm still grateful for the supreme effort Mom made to help me through this day.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
So glad that you have weathered this awful storm. So many have suffered and it is utterly unimaginable to think of loved ones hunkering down with those they love, those they cannot move safely out of harms way. I think I cannot even begin to imagine it. So glad that you are both safe. It does bring us home to what matters. Life. The roof over our head. Food. Water. Love. Thanks for writing us about this and so glad that you are OK.
(3)

💜smiling with you
(1)

Happy for you! Great for all kinds of storms to pass!
(1)

PeeWee,
You went through hurricane Dorian and with your Mom, it was a positive experience! Now that is really something.
You are grateful.

Do you need us to come over and take your temperature??? Lol. Just joking.
So happy you both are okay!

Your post is extremely encouraging. Thank you so much.
(3)

Glad you and your mother are safe and sound. What a blessed day you had with your mother. Wishing you more wonderful days with your mom.
(2)

😊😊😊👍👍👍
(2)

Yay Mom! Wonderful post! I am so happy you are all safe! I hope they get the power on soon!
(1)

Glad you're both safe! I guess there's a deep down knowledge when a loved one needs support and patience, and she found it for you, even if only for a day! I'm glad you could embrace this positive side of a scary situation!
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter