Follow

I'm 79 & wife is 76. We live in our own home (with mortgage) in South Florida. Two daughters up North. One wants us to move back to be closer to her part of the Family. Also, we have a grandson down here age 13 who lives with his Family from a 3rd Daughter who passed on, (his Dad remarried) that we are very close to. We can't handle the cold and can't afford to be Snowbirds. So, we are the aging Parents, our Parents have all passed on. Thanks for reading!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
There’s no pleasing everyone. I’m glad you’re close to your grandson, he will always treasure the time he’s spending with you. If you like the Florida sunshine and don’t like the cold, then stay put. Hopefully the daughters up north will want to come visit often, certainly invite them to come enjoy the weather with you
(3)

Don't move. You can't afford it and don't like the cold. Seems pretty straightforward.
(2)

Stay where you are. Believe me, you don't want to come north. My DH and I are considering finding a place down in Fla to spend Jan and Feb. We live in NJ, cold and wet.

You said "be closer to her part of the family". Part meaning other grandchildren? I can understand where they are coming from, you are getting older and may need care. So lets move them closer. Sounds good but may not work out. Why, because your daughter/s have lives. Their children have lives. You will be a part of those lives but still going to need to find your own way. Going to have to find a new place to live. Move everything you own. Make new friends. Find new activities. You may see ur daughter a few days a week. Maybe a phone call daily. And if the grands are grown, they probably have families of their own. I think ur daughter is looking thru rose colored glasses.

You have a life. You have a grandson ur close to. You leave, u may lose that bond. If there are other grands, I doubt if u will ever have the bond you have with the 13 yr old with them. I know my MiL who lived in FL had a closer bond with the GA grands than she did with my girls in NJ. The GA clan was closer. No, I never resented it. Just the way it went. I helped raise my oldest Grandson, 26. He was here as much as he was home and lived 4 doors down. His Grandfather was his father figure. No grandparents or father really involved. He traveled with us. I now have a 7 yr old grandson. Yes, he lives 4 doors down but, his parents are divorced. So he travels between the two homes. He has another set of grands. I babysat his first 18 months. But, I don't think we will have the same bond as we do with his brother.

Just make sure you have planned ahead. You will need POAs in place. Maybe ex-SIL will take that responsibility. Needs to be someone close. Not daughters who are miles away. Do you have money put aside for your care if needed. Make sure all your records are in one place and your POA knows where everything is. What is your plan if one of u get ill. So if daughter says, "But Dad, what if something happens" You can assure her you have taken the steps needed.

And please, realize when you need help. If ur told to use a cane or a walker, use them. Keep your home safe and you safe. If you come off stubborn your daughters will dig their heels in. Be receptive. You don't have to do it their way but at least show u will consider it.
(2)

Don’t move back. Flights to FL are cheap enough. Our son lives there and we are up north. As cheap as $50 on Spirit or Frontier, if planning ahead.

Enjoy your life. Sounds like you both are blessed.
(0)

Thank you all for the comments!
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter