Follow

My poor husband has "peeing" troubles, also difficulty finding the right words. It's very frustrating for both of us! But here's a funny: this evening he was trying to tell me something, and he started out by saying "I've been using the bags..." but couldn't go any further with that. I know he was trying to tell me something, but I couldn't guess what. I asked him "do you mean garbage bags?" No. Little 4-gallon trash bags? No. He was clearly frustrated and said he would show me. He led me to the bedroom where we had an opened package of absorbent disposable underwear. He won't wear them, but he was trying to tell me he's been holding them against himself, strategically, to catch urine leaks between the bed and the toilet.

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Good for him! At some point he might decide to slip a pair on.
(6)

Thank you, Mom!
(2)

You might want to ask your husband if he knows how to put them on and/or if he’d like you to help him.
(3)

Thank you Ahmijoy! It's not that he can't figure them out, I don't know what it is. Texture? Bad fit or other discomfort? I'm going to keep encouraging him to at least try wearing them to bed at night... maybe that will "break the ice"!
(2)

TheWife, just a suggestion about getting hubs to wear the Depends. Be very careful to not call them “diapers” if you do. I’ve been told by many nurses and therapists that this can be insulting to the wearer as it conjures up thoughts of babies and diapers. It’s been advised here to take other underwear away and just leave the incontinence briefs.

Good luck to you and your husband!
(1)

My Dad didn't want to wear those Depend Guards or the pull-ups. To him it was "women's stuff" and he didn't want any part of that ..... [sigh].

It doesn't seem fair. Us gals go from wearing pads from the age of 13 to 50 [or thereabouts], then we have to start all over again when we get much older :(

Oh, my Mom finally got my Dad to start wearing Depends when he had issues getting to the bathroom in time. At the age of 96 she was tired of cleaning up the mess that was left behind. So one day, after Dad had an accident, Mom handed him the cleaning supplies. After a couple times of Dad doing the cleaning, Mom had Depends-for-Dad on her grocery list !
(0)

Ahmijoy, I agree with you using the word diapers. I think it is not a good idea to call them diapers in front the person who wears them. They are adults, not babies. I try very hard to not use the word diapers in front of my father, who has to wear these all of the time. (My father is a very dignified person)
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter