Follow

I want my cat back! She lived to be 16 years old and was the most affectionate sweet kitty ever! haha, my cat was independent, aloof, mysterious, spontaneous and fun!

My mom has simply taken over our lives!

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
In what way? Because of her care needs? Or, she expects to be waited on hand and foot. She can do for herself but doesn't? Does she live with you or you with her?

Need more info to help.
(0)

Cats are independent. Want things their way. I loved my cat though.

Yes, my mom lives with me and she wants everything her way. I do wait on her hand and foot. She has Parkinson's, is 93. Was just trying to make myself giggle for a bit comparing her to the personality of a cat.
(0)

This made me laugh. Thanks. My mom is -so- like my cat. Cat knocks something off a shelf and looks at me like, 'human do your duty and pick that up'. Mom drops stuff and calls for me. At least she says, "Can you please pick that up for me?" (In her defense she, like the cat, can't pick things up.) The cat and my mom both get grumpy when they don't get food on time. They are also both picky eaters. They both unintentionally create little messes that I am constantly cleaning up. (actually, the tearing things up is pretty intentional on the cat's part) They both want my attention, but only on their terms and neither of them can get along without me for long. They both show me they love me in their own weird ways.
(0)

Oh my gosh, TiredinLville

You NAILED it! You totally get it! I adored your response and thanks for making me giggle. Cats are such interesting creatures. I'm allergic to them and when my allergist suggested that I get rid of my cat after doing my allergy testing, I looked at him as if he had two heads. When he saw that I wasn't going to budge, he prescribed allergy meds and said to me with a sly smile, "I get it. I understand. I have a cat. But when your cat dies, don't get another one."

Cats are so independent. Old people have trouble relinquishing that independence. My 96 year old cousin just renewed her driver's license even after getting a speeding ticket at which time she told off the cop! So funny.

My daughter caught my mom rummaging through my husband's toolbox awhile back and said to her, "Grandma, what are you doing?" To which she replied that she only wanted to fix the brakes on her walker. My mother has always been quite handy but my daughter did not want her to risk hurting herself and tightened up the breaks for her. I finally got her to stop reaching for things in her closet because she has fallen reaching for things. It is so hard for them. Mom has Parkinson's. She has had home health with occupational and physical therapy but she doesn't keep up with the home exercises after they leave. Her balance is terrible. Nearly no strength left.
(0)

NeedHelpWithMom, I so relate to all of that. My parents were both extremely independent and self reliant but now they have to rely on other people to take care of them. They are both struggling with their loss of independence. My mom has osteoarthritis and my dad has an aggressive from of Parkinsons with hallucinations. I take care of her and he is in assisted living. I tell people that taking care of mom is like having an extremely intelligent 11 year old, able to get along on her own but I'm always afraid she'll burn the house down trying to microwave soup.
(0)

Tired, I get it! I had to ban my mom from the kitchen. She has no strength left to microwave anything. She can’t even pour herself a glass of milk.

I do everything for her. So sad. She used to be a fabulous cook. My grandma too. They taught me. I taught my girls. I’ve always said that New Orleans has great people, music and food!
(0)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter